Gobbling in the fog?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Gobbling in the fog?

Postby OneShot » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:15 am

Just got back from a pre-opening day scout on the farm in eastern NC. Thick fog and only a couple of gobbles that seemed late to me. What's been everyone's experience with fog?
OneShot
hunter

Fog

Postby diverhunter73 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:50 pm

I went this morning in NC and had the same happen to me. I don't think they gobble much when it is foggy. I was in alabama a few years back and it was real foggy and only one bird gobbled and he only gobbled one time on the roost. Flew down and shut right up... He didn't fly down until the fog cleared a little.
diverhunter73
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:51 pm

In my expierence it don't matter what the weather is if the bird feels like talking that morning. He's going to talk. I've hunted in 6 inches of snow in Macon County NC on opening day. Heard bird's everywhere! There problem with foggy days is that the sound often carry's. Making it difficult to judge distances.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:33 pm

tripleCBoykins wrote:In my expierence it don't matter what the weather is if the bird feels like talking that morning. He's going to talk. I've hunted in 6 inches of snow in Macon County NC on opening day. Heard bird's everywhere! There problem with foggy days is that the sound often carry's. Making it difficult to judge distances.

Well said.
I`d like to add that I have seen birds stay on the roost alot longer due to thick fog. Just make sure he`s on the ground when you call to him or he may stay up there for awhile

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby OneShot » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:55 am

Thanks guys. Stump, that's interesting about calling to birds on the roost. I was under the impression that it was a good idea to give a roosted bird a few tree yelps to let him know he has company and get him started in the right direction when he gets down. I take it you are of the opinion to wait until they are down to start calling.
OneShot
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 am

Ill usually give a couple soft yelps just to let them know im there, but not until its daylight and i expect them to fly down. I do two or three soft yelps and thats it. After that, i wait for them to fly down before i do anything.

I think calling early and often makes the turkeys suspicous, and in my experience, makes them head the opposite direction. Learned that when i was first starting out.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:32 pm

Turkeys are not too crazy about thick fog, most times they will sit the tree waiting til it burns off a bit. As suggested, they do quiet down some but one thing too, you can not hear them as well, ...and your sounds will not carry as far so you need to call a bit louder and as soon as the fog lifts :yes: get ready
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum