Fun Morning

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Fun Morning

Postby trigger22 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:18 pm

Decided to hit up a spot on some public land this morning that has always been productive in the past. i got to the general location where i wanted to set up about 30 minutes before lst and hit the owl call and thunder struck gobble gobble gobble about 250 yds down into the woods, which is right about where the birds always tend to roost. so off into the woods i went where i knew there was a small clearing where i have taken 4 birds from in the past 2 years. i got set up and about 20 miutes after lst i heard em fly down. i had already hit a few soft tree yelps and once i heard them fly down i did a few more soft yelps and a fly down cackle. thunder struck again gobble gobble gobble about 100 yds out in front of me. so i sat there a few minutes and gave a few sweet yelps and here they came, 2 birds, 1 about a 2 year old with roughly a 6-8 inch beard and the other a jake came running towards my dekes in full sprint. they stopped about 5 feet from my decoys and stared at them and proceded to walk a full circle around my blind and around the other side of the decoys and stopped and stared again. then the jake walked right up to my hen decoy and pecked her on the head. i'm not wanting to kill either of these birds cause they didnt really fit my description of a "good enough bird to kill" after pecking her on the head they decide that something just isnt right and proceed to run off into the woods. i sat there another hour or so before deciding to call it a day and too head home to catch a few hours of sleep before work. it was a great day to be in the turkey woods and eventhough i didnt bag a bird i still had fun and got to make a fool out of a jake and a 2 year old bird :biggrin:
Last edited by trigger22 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:52 pm

hell i wish i could see a bird that isnt running away or in someone else's field lol. i would of crap the jake lol jk. i would of shot ethier one because i havent killed ne thing lol. tried this afternoon behind my house and didnt hear or see any so i dont think they are back there.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:03 pm

if your havin problems with birds running away, your movin too fast. your in the right spots and the birds are there, you just gotta think stealth. give it a few more days and you'll have Clarks river all too yourself. the "wannabees" will give up. i wish i were there we'd go get em. another place you might wanna check out is LBL. i forget all the rules to hunt up there, but there is some good birds.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:01 pm

Good deal man congrats on calling those birds up. Maybe you will call up one big enough to shoot. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:26 pm

Trigger, you old dog. You a bad man messing with those poor birds like that. You could have at least pulled up a stool and bought them a round for their efforts :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Way to deside that you want a mature bird and let those two walk. You may regret letting the 2 year old walk , BUT next year he`ll be right for the pick`ens. GOOD JOB BROTHER!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum