It happens

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

It happens

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:37 pm

Yep, to the best of us. I have missed two birds in the last 3 days.

Short version. I purchased a new choke and went to pattern the gun. Had a time getting it dialed in at 40 yards. The pattern kept moving all over. Sometimes high and right sometimes low and left etc. But on the 7 th shot I was dead center....so I taught.
Tues called in two hens with a gobbler on their tail. Shot was 42 yards. Money..NORMALLY. I saw the dirt in the field kick up high and right when I let her rip. I contributed the bad shot due to shooting left handed. Just got in a bad situation and that all I had.
Well this morning had a bird 40 yards on the money, walked it of and used a range finder after words. Fired the shot and this time high and left. Buddy saw the shot hit. Wat the he!!. I return home really questioning everything. I checked that the sites were good and tight, and started checking everything. Then I hear a hollow metal thud. 4 of the vent rib support have busted loose. You gotta be kidding me. So tomorrow I am taking it to a gunsmith to be repaired but in the mean time I will be using my daughters 20 gauge which is patterened out to 35 yards.
So guys, take the time to make sure EVERYTHING is squared away on your guns or you may end up like me. I should have limited today but instead of smiling and fist pumping I had my head down between my knees

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tripleCBoykins » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:59 pm

Hold your head up man, your luck will change. Hey I've fell in love with my kids 20 gauge. That little gun is deadly out to 35 yards. You just have be a little more patient.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Sorry to hear about your luck Stump. At least your were out hunting...I still have to wait until Monday!....But, i did do some scouting today and all 5 farms have birds working...now, which one do i hunt?!!?!?!? :rolleyes: :lol:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:48 pm

Hey man at least your getting shots at birds man i aint heard one gobble in about 2 weeks. Im missing school tommorow to see if me and my basketball coach can get on one. :huh:

We skipping school to go turkey huntin. :yes:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm tagged out for the year, want me to ship you my Benelli to use for a few weeks? :smile: The 24" barrel and an Undertaker choke are deadly.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:31 pm

Sorry to hear your bad luck. If it weren't for bad luck some of us wouldn't have any luck. :no:

Hey duckbuster i almost got the same amount of posts as you.
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:59 pm

yeah that sucks but u cant let stuff like that get u down for the whole season. when stuff happens like that it just gets me more fired up to bag a bird. Im itching just to get out. here in wisconsin u have to draw for a tag and ur season is only 5 days. that and there isnt alot of turkeys around me. if u see 20 thats alot of birds. i usually get one good shot at a tom a year so its do or die for me with that chance. My season opens wednesday april 23-27 i have one bird located working the top of a ridge fanning everyday hopefully its a done deal wednesday morning.
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:40 am

Man sounds like you need to make a trip down to the southeastern part of the US. Seasons are about a month long and anybody can hunt. I'll put you on a few birds if you're ever in Western KY.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:45 pm

Yep it ends tomorrow duckbuster and im :smile: because i have called up 3 gobblers this year and i aint pulled the trigger once.

O well two people got their first turkeys though. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:01 pm

To me callin them in is the fun part. I get more of a rush callin in birds for other people than I do for myself.
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:01 pm

sorry to hear that stump, but look at it on the bright side, at least you still got your tags and can get back out there and drive a few more ol toms crazy.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum