which gun to take?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

which gun to take?

Postby WIgunner30 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:13 pm

I have everything laid out and ready to go but i am having a hard time deciding what gun to take turkey hunting this year. i have a winchester 1300 3" with a 22" barrel with a undertaker choke a winchester SX3 3 1/2 with a 26"barrel and a undertaker and a Browning BPS 3" in camo with a 26" barrel with a x full briley choke. all three guns pattern execlent. for five years i used the 1300 and shot 5 toms with it. last year i shot a jake at 45yrds with the SX3. Last week i picked up that BPS and am itching to try it out on a bird. what would u guys take? i think there all good choices. i kinda like the fact the SX3 shoots 3 1/2 even though i dont think i need that big of shell cause 3" worked for me before. My season is only 5 days long and i usually only get one good shot at a tom. i do have a later season towards the end of may here in wisconsin .
WIgunner30
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:02 am

Tuff choice, sounds like both guns would do the job, guess you could flip a coin :rofl:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:37 am

Stick with what works. However I traded my Franchi I12 in on a Benelli M2 in the new Realtree APG and bought an Undertaker choke the night before the season opened. I was alittle nervous going out in the woods with minimal patterning. If you want to take the new gun, I say go for it, it worked for me :thumbsup:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby trigger22 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:10 pm

take whatever your the most confortable with. whatever patterns the best, your choice. if they all pattern great then take the one you most wanna use
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:47 pm

I have the same problem....been useing aMossberg Turkey special for 10 years...shot 10 birds with it...up to 56 yards away..i bought a SBE2 Benelli and did pattern it and shoots great....i do have 2 tags so the SBE will be going out....anyways flip a coin.... :yes: Honkers41
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum