heres my first turkey

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

heres my first turkey

Postby drake~slayer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:26 pm

Now a little bit about the hunt. My buddy and i showed up around 5:45 am. at his spot. We walked about a mile into this valley. we set up. Unfortunatly nothing was happening. We heard a single gobble at first light but nothing else. We decide to go up to Another parcell that his friend owned. We set up, And i decide to put my back against a madrone tree. Mark decided to walk up and around the hill. Unknown to me, Mark stumbled across a hen and a drake. He was busted. I guess that the jake was more worried about Mark because he came my way. As i said I had my back against a madrone tree and was watching for turkeys. All of a sudden I see this bird about 25 yards and closing fast. This bird didnt see me. I checked the head and saw red then i checked for a beard. I saw one.He didn't even know what happened.I Shot the bird in his face. :sniper: He droped like a home sick rock. Now This bird aint a tom but I couldnt pass him up. I shot him At 16 paces. he did'nt have a chance.ImageImage
Last edited by drake~slayer on Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot 'em in the face.
drake~slayer
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:41 pm

Wow, nice hunt congradulations on the kill drake~slayer.

Now go get you a big ole tom. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby drake~slayer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:57 pm

thanks. By the way I have to give a lot of credit to my lovely wife for sizing the pics up. I couldnt do it. Plus she had to do it with pics of a dead turkey. She hates to see dead animals. But she loves me and will do just about anything for me. Im a lucky man. :love:
Shoot 'em in the face.
drake~slayer
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:44 pm

great bird and great pics. That top one looks cool. :thumbsup:

What kinda gun is that you shot him with? Is it a Mossberg?
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby hillman raider » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:17 pm

Nice lookin bird. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
hillman raider
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:46 pm

Great hunt slayer, sometimes you just have to shoot out of self defence, After all he was about to run you over. :yes: Glad you keep your head down, hitting a running turkey is not all that easy :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby drake~slayer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:24 pm

I mis-spoke. This is not my first bird ever. It is the first of this year. And it is my first bearded bird ever. Last year I got a hen in the Fall season. I wish my first bearded bird was a monster Tom but I got busted by the Tom a bit before i shot the jake. Thats why they call it hunting and not killing. And to answer your question Orange foot, That is my trusty winchester 120. It is not a fancy gun or have all the bells and whistles, but It gets the job done. I dont have a coronary averytime i drop and scratch it. And the best part is I only payed $200 for it 8 years ago. I kill as many ducks with it as my friends do with their expensive guns. This gun has been used as a paddle, a prop, a crutch. I have dropped her into mud, down a few steep hills, and she still fires like a new gun. Her name is Monique. Yes i named my gun...,..
Shoot 'em in the face.
drake~slayer
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:01 pm

:wink: Mine is named Jake, first game I ever killed with it was a Jake many springs ago. Soooo, why not Jake, how about you other guys, you name your guns :huh:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:15 pm

Congratulations on the bird. The monsters will come soon enough

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gadwall getter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:35 pm

congrats on the gobbler! :thumbsup:
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum