Deeks

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Deeks

Postby fishfurlife » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Hey guys, I have noticed a bunch of threads with decoys mentioned in them, it sounds like the majority of you guys use decoys. If so what is your favorite setup as an all around setup. I personaly don't use them, I try to stay moblie and still get the thrill out of tricking them with no visual.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:22 am

I use dekes when im on the edges of fields or even in the woods depending on how open they are. If i dont think i have time to setup my decoy before the gobbler gets to me then it dosen't bother me. :thumbsup:

Put it this way i have never killed a turkey over a decoy but i have called them up and other people have.
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:23 am

I carry 3 most of the time, will use a single hen if I'm on the move but my typical set up is to have a lone feeding hen off to the side at a distance. A second "upright" hen with a jake behind her about 10 ft. I use this in field edges or woods set up. :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:51 pm

I use decoys alot and have been sucessful with them....they really help in fields when its raining or a bow setup...i don't use them on Public land,i'm alittle afraid...but they do work.Honkers41
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:55 pm

i set up on the edge of a dirt fiel in the after noon and put the deeks in a flock, with a top looking like its mating. its worked once for me. i do this in the after noon aroun 2. in the morning i dont use deeks because i hunting in the woods where they roost, and deeks have scared the turkeys away for me a couple of times in the woods.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:26 pm

I guess the decoys can work for and against you, i guess it helps to know for sure whether you are hunting a dominant bird or not
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby birdslayer » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:12 pm

I started using decoys this season and I have not had any luck with them yet. Seems like the turkeys wanted to go the other direction. I am pretty sure I scared off a flock with a semi strutting jake.(I attached a fan to him) The took a different route instead of their usual route. They were all big jakes and hens.
birdslayer
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Maybe by showing your decoy as in semi strut was just enough to spook the jakes and make them think that your decoy was more of a dominant bird since it was not scared to strut in front of other birds.
fishfurlife
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum