Pattern concern

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Pattern concern

Postby CMURPHY » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:14 am

This is my first year hunting with a gun, I am a 6 year vet and have used a bow every year. It is time for a change. Here is my concern. I have an H.S. undertaker and my buddy has a pattern master. The Pattern Master holds a lot tighter pattern than my H.S. Just wondering if at 30 yrds. I shoot at a 4x4 peice of plywood and shot covers most of the board. Pellets are fairlly close to each other there isnt a hole in the pattern or anything. I am shooting a Super X2, 3 1/2" 12 ga. I shot both remington 3" 4shot and Winchester 31/2" 5 shot. They both shot the same. With the Win at 30yrds. I shot the wad through the plywood looked like a slug hole that was cool never had that happen to me. Any way just wondering if I should pull out my Undertaker and go with my full choke to get a tighter pattern or do you think the pattern it tight enough and it is better to be a little spread out. By the way both shot shells are copper plated lead and that is what is recommeded to be shot through that choke form the Manuf.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby Honkers41 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:43 pm

Murph put the tighter choke in..you want more of a dense pattern and you'll get this under40 yards...also have you tried number 6's maybe Kents Turkey shot in a 1 3/4 ozs shot or 2 ozs....number 6's do a great job...and you'll get more pellets...Honkers41
GUNS~UP~FEATHERS~DOWN~!
Love My Mossbergs!!
Honkers41
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum