Michigan open day success (PICS)

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Michigan open day success (PICS)

Postby gunner7848 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:51 am

Well got out there at 530am scared of I think was a coyote from were I was hunting. Set up and called and heard two Toms gobbling one was behind me in the woods so I was ready the bird was getting closer and heard the gobble close to the side of me in the woods but the bird keep on walking by as the gobbling got out in front of me . So I hoped the birds would come back when the hens laid down but didn't happen like last year. Stayed till 1pm then went for some lunch. Seen two deer and a hank fly down trying to eat my hen decoy. Went back out at 330 pm and set up were the birds been strutting in the afternoon. Watch 6 deer come out and feed and play around for a half hour then I took a short nap. It was 5pm when I called again and got hens to call back. So started to play with the call and got the hens to call non-stop then I heard the gobble. Watch a bird show up on the outside of the woods and stood there for few minutes it was a hen. The bird came to the decoy started to strut thinking this is a hen with a small beard and at half strut. Seen the Tom in the woods strutting and he came out running at the other bird and started to fight it. Watch the Tom strut for a few minutes then took it at 15 yard shot down he go's. This was an old beat up fighting bird. Beard was 10" and spurs were 1 1/16" other broken 1/2"
Look at the foot on this bird nail riped off and the other nails were huge I wouldn't mess with this bird.
BOATED-176
Me-78
GEESE-34
DUCK-58
BANDS-3
My favorite duck and goose call timber call and Michigander by David Lewis
gunner7848
hunter

Postby trigger22 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:58 am

congrats on a successful hunt on opening day. its always nice to see all that hard work and dedication in scouting play out just right. nice bird at that
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby cut_un » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 pm

An old warrior indeed, congrads on the bird :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:22 pm

Dang that thing there is a warrior! You cant tell me he aint been in any fights. I bet he aint lost many either.

Congrats on the bird man. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:21 pm

nice bird, ill show you what mine looks like this weekend haha :thumbsup:
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby CMURPHY » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:42 am

Nice
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby DuckKing » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:40 pm

very nice :thumbsup:
CS
DuckKing
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum