Midday Hunts

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Midday Hunts

Postby rainin'ducks » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Any suggestions on what turkeys do during the heat of the day when they have stopped gobblin'? What would be a good tactic for that time of day besides eatin' lunch.
rainin'ducks
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:24 pm

Check fields they will be there looking for hens because by that time the hens will be sitting on their nest. Use a crow call or other locator call to get them to gobble. I missed a gobbler one day at 1:05 in the afternoon i got him to answer a crow call. This can be one of the best time to hunt. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:42 pm

i was thinkin the same thing. would it be better to hunt the edges of fields or back in the woods
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:18 pm

in the midday, turkeys will tend to post up in a dirt field. There, they "dust" themselfs. usually a turkey will go to the edge of a dirt field, flap their wings and get dust and dirt in their feathers (has something to do wiht the oil in their feathers). but i would say, sit on the corner of one of these fields.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:29 pm

I would ease up to the edge and see if there are already turkeys out in it. If there isnt then i would crow call and see if one gobbles. If nothing answers dont asume there isnt a gobbler in the area. You might want to check for tracks or like flight canceled said check for dusting sites. If you find fairly fresh sign just setup and see what happens. If nothing happens till dark then wait and see if you can hear one fly up to roost and if you do then go back the next morning and setup on the edge of that field (without being seen or heard) and do the normal early morning calling. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:40 pm

to find the roosting at night, i would recoment getting a owl hooter to locate them. Go out when its dark, and stand by the edge of the woods blow it, listen for themn to gobble and set up in that area in the morning(don set up too close becasuse you dont want them to see you commin in.
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum