Full Body Tom Decoys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Full Body Tom Decoys

Postby CMURPHY » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I am going to try one of those B-mobiles this year. Has anyone ever had luck with one or are they just a bust. My season starts here in MN on Thurs. and it is suppossed to rain all 5 days so I am hoping since they dont call much in the rain this might attract them a little better out in the feild. Also woods or feild in the rain? It is going to rain on & off so it isnt supposed to be nonstop.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:15 pm

We had one turkey come up on our B-Mobile this season and im guessing it was a jake. We cud hardly see it because it stayed in the brush but it seen BOB and went the other direction. So im guessing it was a jake who didn't want his butt kicked. I see them work on TV so they gota work. :thumbsup:

As far as hunting in the rain you need to be in the fields that where the turkeys will be when its raining. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:58 pm

I too watch "the boys" on TV call in long beards time after time only to have them wamp up on the deks. It's cool to watch and I to believe it does happen given the right situation. In a turkeys world it's all about pecking order. If you are hunting an area that has a dominate bird in the area, I feel during the breeding season he would be apt to march in and try to take the hens away from that strutting tom, but a suborbinate bird(could be a jake) may not be so eager to come in.
I use a jake dek most of the time and from time to time I'll have the bird I'm working stand toe to toe with the jake, other times they pay very little attention to it or my other deks.
My $.02 is like most things in the turkey woods, things work at any given time ,then tommorrow, "no go".
But, it does not hurt to have one in your bag of tricks :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:00 am

I'm going to follow Cut-n, there is a time and a place for them. One is a henned up dominate bird. Another is field birds. They work I've scene it for myself. Do they work all the time no, but does anything. If your hunting private land and have a good population chances are you'll see it work. I personally would never use it on public land. Too many yahoo's out there that have no idea how to hunt turkey's.

3CB
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Full strut decoys

Postby diverhunter73 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:28 am

I use a full strut just about every field set up I do. They work for me, I have taken several birds with these decoys. I have had several hunts where the toms come running in and looking for a fight. I do agree that it might not work everytime, but most of the time for me they come in and want to investigate. If a bird runs when he see's it, that is a bird that is young and I don't want them any way. My two cents on the subject. Good luck and I hope it works for you if you buy one. I have a B mobile and the new flambeau king strut. :banger:
diverhunter73
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu May 01, 2008 7:47 pm

How do you like the King Strut diverhunter? I was thinking of getting the B-mobile but i saw the KS today in a turkey call mag and really liked it because you can even put real wings on it where as the B-Mobile you can't. Is it foam or rubber like the B-mobile?
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Fri May 02, 2008 6:00 am

Ya'll need check out the Dave Smith Dec hen. Best looking none stuffer on the market.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Fri May 02, 2008 8:35 am

I have a pretty boy and have only used it a few times when I've seen a gobb in a field the night before. I have to say, that thing is a pain in the @ss, but my experience is that it works really well. Another issue is that I hunt mostly public ground and I don't trust these yay-hoos, so I rarely ever use it.

I have had a couple come up and truly try to absolutely flog pretty boy. By the way, word on the street is that carry-lite is coming out with a mobile pretty boy.
echoXLT
hunter

Hey man

Postby diverhunter73 » Sat May 03, 2008 2:52 pm

Orangeman, I really like it, I added a real tail and real wings and man does it look real. If you buy one you want be disappointed. Let me know if you get one..Good luck! I'm finished for the season, got my bird and now I'm going to start fishing and waiting for duck season. Later :thumbsup:
diverhunter73
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sat May 03, 2008 8:33 pm

Yea 3CB tha DSD hen is freekin awsome im going to probably get one. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby CMURPHY » Mon May 05, 2008 2:02 pm

Well the strutter worked. We killed 2, 3+ year old gobblers in 2 morning hunts and one of them came on a string at it. I will hopefully have pics tommorrow I have to resize them.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Mon May 05, 2008 3:23 pm

Congrats to you and your toms and your decoy yall did a great job. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Mon May 05, 2008 3:33 pm

how do you call when using a strutter?
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby CMURPHY » Tue May 06, 2008 8:19 am

Here are the pics!!! I am the one with the top bird.

On my buddies bird all it would come to was purring with the occational cluck, if i yelped he would turn and walk the other way.

Both turkeys were taken from the same spot! Same time! Differrant day! My buddy got his on Thurs. morning at 9 and mine was taken on Fri morning at 9. Both were shot within 6 feet of each other. We seen a total of 4 gobblers out of one spot from 8-9 both thurs and fri mornings. Both had 10" beards. His had 1" spurs both sides and mine had 1 2/8" spurs. They both came running into a B-mobile decoy. Decoy was bought on Wed night and decoyed 4 gobblers & 1 Jake in 2 one half day hunts. My bird ran by the hen decoys we had out and ran right at B and was going to attack it but never made it:). My Buddys bird put on a strutting show for us and was a little stubborn but we got him called in and he went right to b. The only crappy thing is in MN you can only shoot one bird a year during the spring season so I am done hunting.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Tue May 06, 2008 9:46 am

I agree that strutter decoys work in some situations but won't on others. Had birds come in to them here is West TN & Kansas. Then other times they didn't seem to pay any attention to them. That's turkey hunting. In my opinion they are best used in a field or a strut zone. Never seen a situation where they hurt any but sometimes the gobblers will run to them & sometimes they won't. At least they get the birds attention off of you which can be a good thing. We use jake fans in ours!
cutt-down
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum