Turkeys & wind

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkeys & wind

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Hello all;
I've turkey hunted on and off for a few years now...this year I finally got a shot at one (missed....dammit! :mad: ), but I had a great experience calling in that bird. I'd like to try and do it again (next year).

My question is: where do you find turkeys when it is windy? I read several books, and they all said that turkeys would go to open fields, but none of the fields that I scouted that had turkey sign in them had birds. Is there some other place that the birds go when it is windy? What type of tactics work best in this scenario?

Thanks in advance.....BTW, the winds were quite gusty (30 mph, or so I'm told) from time to time.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Been my experience that turkeys and the wind/rain do not get along very well, with all the movements & noises during wind and rain make it mighty tuff on a turkeys defensive system in the woods. So having said that, turkeys will"as a rule" move to open areas or even seek quiet areas( valleys or low areas of a field) in high winds, Remember that you will have to call a bit louder as they will not be able to hear you as well :thumbsup: But they are still hanging around, just not as vocal
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Cut has that pretty much is your answer right there. I just experience that this last weekend. it was so windy, you could hear them up in their roosts gobbling, but as soo as they hit the ground, they shut up. In my expericen, i found that when it is windy out, hunt in a bottum area. the birds will try to get out of the wind and go low. Atleast thats what i've noticed
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby CMURPHY » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:26 am

now when you say windy what do you mean? Gale force or like 10-20 mph. Just wonderin because farm land it is typically windier through out the year that woodland.
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will sit next to you and say damn that was fun.
CMURPHY
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:24 pm

CMURPHY wrote:now when you say windy what do you mean? Gale force or like 10-20 mph. Just wonderin because farm land it is typically windier through out the year that woodland.

windy enough that when you wake up in the morning and go out side to see what its like, you like "dang, its windy"
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby wstober » Sun May 04, 2008 7:53 am

Naturally turkeys are going to do what they want to do. Shot a 23lb Tom in Iowa last week that was on top of a river bluff and in the woods in a 30+ mph wind. Yes it is true you can hear each other beter but don't rule anything out. We worked 6 Toms in that wind and every bird was in the same similar setup. However other years they were all tucked down in the bottoms. Find the birds and hunt hard!

Good Luck
wstober
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun May 04, 2008 9:08 am

Good deal, :thumbsup: much like fishing ...you have to "get after them" when you get the chance. We all have just so much time to hunt/fish so if we wait til the perfect day to go, we'd all be sitting home most mornings. The bottom line is the turkeys live in an imperfect world and they will be there whether the wind is blowing , it's raining or it's 85 degrees, we just have to learn to roll with the punches
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby echoXLT » Mon May 05, 2008 5:22 pm

I've killed turkeys in high wind, rain, clouds...but give me a cool, crisp, sunny morning and I'll never complain. :thumbsup:
echoXLT
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon May 05, 2008 5:41 pm

I have hunted birds in everything from a light enjoyable wind to what the hell am I doing winds. When winds get up to about 10 mph IN THE WOODS birds generaly head to fields/ or areas in the woods that are on the downwind side where there is less undergrowth. Pine thickets are good areas to check out as well due to them acting as a wind break and usualy there is less undergrowth. Just keep in mind that if your field has 10" tall grass growing in it the birds will not necassarily like that on windy days and they don`t enjoy walking in wet grass either.
Best I can say is imagine it was you in the woods butt necked and 75% of the big things moving and flying in the woods wanted you as a snack. You want to be in an area you can see/hear the bad boys coming, and you would want to be wet on top of all that. :eek:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum