Duck Hunting Forum banner

Wish me luck!

1K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  cut_un 
#1 ·
Well, Monday was my first time turkey hunting. Here in Michigan you have to apply for a turkey permit and I was drawn for the second week. My opening day started on Monday and I have until Sunday. It sucks only getting a week to hunt.

Joe (hubby), his dad and I all took Monday off of work and were hoping for success. We definately did our preseason scouting and it worked out for the guys. They each had drawn permits for the first week and came home with a bird opening day. But we had a heck of a time when it came to finding one to roost this past Sunday evening. We had split up to broaden our chances, but the woods were quiet - for all of us. Joe and I finally heard a couple gobbles nearly out of earshot, so at least we had a general location but that was it.

Monday morning rolled around and we up and out EARLY hoping we could pinpoint a roost location that morning. And again, quiet. We knew there were a lot of toms in the area, but luck was just against us. After deciding to move into an area that we hoped would be productive, we got busted by a turkey. lol. Figures. The jury is still out on whether it was a tom or not. It was big, very big. But we didn't see a beard.

We moved again and the guys started calling for me. And boom! Two toms sounded off! Eureka! The birds kept moving closer and then it sounded like they were hung up at the road. We moved down, crossed the road, got set up again and they started moving to us. They were hot. I was all ready, I saw a red head, saw a beard, and took moved my safety off. CLICK! Crap! It was way too loud. The toms went on alert and Joe whispered to take the shot. I pulled the trigger and knew immediately that I had rushed things. I missed clean. They took off and our luck wasn't any better the rest of the day. They called another one in, but he got hung up at some brush and gave up. Of course, we should have known he'd come in from the one direction that we didn't think he would. :p

I still had a blast though, after the initial frustration, dissappointment, and anger at myself for missing. And I can't wait to get back out. We're going to head out straight after work tomorrow, but will only get a couple hours in before shooting time ends. Hopefully, there are some birds left. I'm stuck hunting public land. And then I'll have to contend with all the other weekend hunters on Saturday.

I'm really jealous of you guys down in states where you can shoot multiple birds and have weeks to hunt. :tongue:

See less See more
#3 ·
That would be awesome! :yes:

We live near Grand Rapids (W. Mich). The thing is, I know there is a HUGE tom behind my church - right in the middle of town. There was a tom walking around by the courthouse in the middle of downtown a month ago, and some coworkers saw a nice tom in a funeral home parking lot last Friday. I think they're moving into the city where they know they're safe. Darn birds. ;)

Looks like there's a chance of thunderstorms all weekend long. I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that a bunch of hunters stay home and that I don't get hit by lightning. LOL!

#4 ·
OG, sounds like you guys are having fun :yes: and that's all that really counts :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the story, I for one like to hear the blow by blow accounts of the day, esp when their is a HAPPY ending. I'm sure you will get dialed in and when you do, you can really "talk some turkey then"
You guys having to draw for your hunts blows my mind, our season last here in Va. for about a month and we can kill one a day for a total of three. Only drawback is "no Sunday hunting" and only the last two weeks are all day. SOOOOO, you guys come on down :welcome: Good luck!

Race weekend here in Richmond this weekend so I too hope the woods will be quiet :eek: Just me and a million turkeys :wink:

Oh and Outdoor Gal :welcome: to the turkey hunting site, hope you will hang around and talk turkey with us :yes:

#5 ·
Thanks cut_un! I've been out once and now I'm hooked! Same thing happened with waterfowl too... maybe I'm just easily addicted. :rofl:

Good luck to you this weekend too!

#6 ·
Remember the old song, goes something like "girls just wanta have some fun" Nothing wrong with a gal liking turkey hunting :thumbsup:
Just got back from the club, had one gobble 5 times at 6:15, because, not knowing exactly where the old boy was or just how to get to him.... and with so many leaves on our trees now, I decided he was not that far and not to move on him. I hoped he would come to me, guess it was too much distance between us, He did the "old drift off" :oops: Being a tad on the windy side this am, I simply lost track of him :huh: Maybe tomorrow :tongue:

#7 ·
I always have been an adrenaline junkie. :biggrin:

And blast! That sucks. Hopefully you can knock him over tomorrow!

#8 ·
You "got that right", if setting up on an old Tom and having him breathing down you neck doesn't give you a rush..... as they say...

U B DEAD :yes: Growing up in the hunting sports we all go through so many phases/changes :wink: For me anymore, I guess I've gotten to the point of just liking to talk to the critters, whether it's ducks,geese or that big old gobbler getting in their heads is as good as it gets :yes:

#9 ·
Big old "goose egg" this am :thumbsdown: Did not see or hear anything, it's been real breezy the last few days, does not take too long before all you can hear are the leaves on the trees :mad: Oh well, that's turkey hunting :smile:

#10 ·
We had the same problem Friday and Saturday. It was so windy that you couldn't hear anything. We got lucky enough to hear one Saturday morning, but couldn't get him to come in, he was henned up. Then Saturday afternoon we had decided to pretty much "scout with the shotgun". We heard a gobbler, but got busted by a hen with him. They were a lot closer then they sounded. :no:

The wind finally died down yesterday and my brother-in-law went out with us to an area he hunts. We heard five toms nearby and got set up in some really hilly hardwoods and started to call. It didn't take too long before we had one come in, and he was REALLY nice, but it appeared 25 yards away on my far right side. He was strutting but would never make a full circle, so I could move to a left-handed gun mount. I finally was able to move the gun when he went behind some brush. But he heard or saw me anyhow, putted and moved away before I could get a shot at him. Gah! We could still hear a couple in the same spot as before, just down the hill from us and the guys worked them for 2 1/2 freaking hours, we just couldn't pull them in the last 20 yards that we needed. So close, but not close enough.

So at the end of the 2008 Turkey Season...

Turkeys 1 / Shannon 0

I still had an awesome time, and we learned a TON this year. We were hunting in new areas, so not knowing the terrain really well hurt us a couple times (like yesterday morning), but we'll go back next year better armed. ;)

While we were working those turkeys yesterday we had three deer come in. One walked right up to me, we were looking each other right in the eye. It was great! lol. Silly things.

I hope things turn your way cut_un! You'll get yours yet.

#11 ·
I'm not sure if I should be mad at my hubby or laugh. He says he wants to get a patch made for me, since I don't get one of the patches that you can get from the DNR if you take a turkey.

It will say "1st Level Turkey Hunter". :rolleyes: :rofl:

#12 ·
I know hubby is playing with you...while he can, I'm sure like most women sports"persons" :oops: You will be kicking his butt soon enough :wink: and friend, have at him...he started it :rofl:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.