Getting discouraged

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Getting discouraged

Postby jsa » Sat May 03, 2008 5:59 pm

A little background first; I did not grow up around guns or hunting. My father-in-law got me into target shooting about 5 years ago. Since then I have taken interest in hunting too. I did grow up around may other outdoors activities. Hunting combines my love of outdoors with my interest in firearms.

I started turkey hunting 3 years ago because I was invited hunt private property. I used borrowed gear and my own gun. No luck that year, but I enjoyed just being out. I bought some camo, a couple calls and a better gun. 2nd year out was with all my own gear on the same private property, again no luck. Decided to buy some dekes this year since that seemed to be all I was missing to be "complete". I don't have access to private property anymore so I'm hunting public land.

I've been out scouting this year and heard birds all over. Every time I go out and set up, I hear nothing. I'm thinking about getting rid of the turkey gun & dekes...

Anyone relate?
jsa
State Moderator

Postby HotDog » Sat May 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Were I you, I would get someone knowledgable to listen to my calling.
Not just the tone, but the cadence also.
Don't give up. Turkeys aren't easy to bag.
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby jsa » Sat May 03, 2008 6:35 pm

I've never hunted with anyone experienced. I don't have the first clue about calling. I listen to what the birds are doing and I make very few calls.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Sat May 03, 2008 6:44 pm

never give up man. when i started duck hunting, me and my buddy had a terrible time. two seasons went by before we even killed one duck. it was pretty discouraging. but now, after we have spent some seasons learning and developing our skills, we have become pretty decent duck hunters.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sat May 03, 2008 7:40 pm

jsa, I feel your pain. The way it's been for me , the harder I try to do something seems like the less success I seem to have. It took me a while to get my mess together when I started turkey hunting and I did all the wrong things :huh: but with time it all seems to come together so don't give up.
Are you watching any turkey hunting videos, they are just about as realistic as it gets. They may give you some ideas. Can you find an experienced hunter to tag along with. Hang in their brother, it's a journey and when to get to the top of the heep, you'll be glad you made the trip :wink: Good Luck!
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Sat May 03, 2008 8:40 pm

Don't give up. Get someone thats knows something about turkey hunting to go with you and show you things and teach you calling, what to do when birds dont do what you want them to do, and tips. Like someone else said "turkeys arent easy to kill."

Just keep trying learn more about it and enjoy being in the woods. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby jsa » Sun May 04, 2008 1:21 pm

At least I like being in the woods.
I'd like to go with someone who knows what they're doing, but I don't really know anybody who hunts turkey.
jsa
State Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun May 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Guess it's a shot in the dark as I'm not too sure just how determined you are to "get in the game" :huh: But..... are you a member of the NWTF. I'm sure you have a local chapters that would love to help you out and at the same time you would be getting to meet a bunch of decicated turkey chasers in your area and across the country... just a thought and a plug for the NWTF to boot :wink:

Good Luck friend and feel free to ask the guys that hang out here, they will point you in the right direction and would be glad to help :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby brucetonbottombandit » Sun May 04, 2008 2:11 pm

i guess i'm the opposite i've been turkey hunting 3 years and have killed 9 birds in those 3. Calling is the most important part of spring hunting. get some videos and sit around and call with them sounds kinda gay but that's what i did and now i do all calling for my buddies who have all been hunting alot longer. if your married and your wife isn't threatening divorce over your calling too much you ain't practicing enough. just keep at it and it'll happen.
brucetonbottombandit
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Sun May 04, 2008 7:28 pm

trust me, you dont wanna give up. turkey hunting is some of the funeset hunitng there is. i hunt over in kalamazoo MI and its the same way. kind of. you hear them gobbling, but they are up in their roost. when they hit the ground, they shut up. its all a matter of sitting and waiting. the more hours you spend in the woods/field, the better your chances are. If there are turkeys there, like you say there are, you have a chance of shooting one.

i have gone with out a bird my first few years of hunting them.I learned the things i was doing wrong. it takes practice. and it takes alot of patience. Try doing different things, like if your hunting in the woods, try hunting on the edge of a field. I have found that the turkeys act differnt in the different seasons, as far as answering your calls. you can learn alot on these forums. The main thing is patience though, i cant stress that enough.

the couple years, we havent been seing alot of turkeys out of either one of our farms. My dad has gone 2 years with out shooting anything, and he was barely seing anything. last year the turkeys werent responding to the calls like the have in the past. i had to take a tom at 60 yards (yes, 60 yards, too long of a shot), but i ended up knocking him flat on his butt. This weekend, we were out and we could hear them in the morning (over 20 different birds) up in their roosts. we werent seing anything. my dad ended up shooting a double 9inch bearded tom with inch and a quarter spurrs. it was just wondering around the woods, didnt answer calls or anything, just came walking by. Today, i was getting very frustrated after 2 weekends of not seeing very much and i was about to give up. i went back to the house, and decided it wasnt a good idea to quit. i went back out and not 5 minuits ater sitting against a tree, 2 jakes came by and i got one of them.

your time is comming. just try to scout the area out, learn what their doing. go out in the morning and listen to them in their roost if you can. study what they sound like. just try different things, mix it up a little bit. talk to other hunters. maybe one of them will take you out and show you the how to's.

i know it is frustrating but just dont give up! :thumbsup: remember, patience is the key. :thumbsup:
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum