Where have all the birds gone?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Where have all the birds gone?

Postby 20bolt » Mon May 05, 2008 11:57 am

Background:

Hunting Northern Mass in the junction of 5 fields each about 8 acres. I have scouted birds there and from what I can tell this is prime turkey location. But I can never seem to find/call the birds.

I am usually out about 4am and set up by 4:45 and waiting (legal shooting is 5:15). Is this too early?

I have been setting up with 1 Jake and 1 hen in a submissive position to the Jake. Is this ok? Do I need more decoys?

Also, in another location, I have several turkeys that reliably (3 days running) answer to a crow call just before the end of sunset, but roost in a 4 acre block of residential houses. I can hunt them across the road in the woods/state game land. It is possible to draw them the 1/4 mile or is this hopeless?

Thanks for all the help.
-Can't wait for goose season
20bolt
hunter

Postby flight canceled » Mon May 05, 2008 12:49 pm

read my post in "getting discouraged"
If you want peace, prepare for war.
flight canceled
hunter

Postby 20bolt » Mon May 05, 2008 1:00 pm

I feel that guy's pain.

I have been listening to the Primos CD and watching some hunts, while practicing calls. I am not great, but I am not terrible.

I am mostly questioning the specifics of my "spread" and hunting time.
And also how far you can draw turkeys.

I have gotten what I think is a turkey to drum back, but no gobbles, no nothen'.
20bolt
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon May 05, 2008 2:35 pm

The question a "drawing turkeys" can have us all :huh: our heads for a long, long time. I hoped to "draw a turkey about 300 yards this past friday morn and it was just too far for that turkey to travel. :oops: It's all about just how, for lack of a better word, HORNEY a turkey is. I've pulled turkeys from a distance that you could just hear him off in the distance. I guess those turkeys were "mighty lonely" and willing to travel. Then like Friday, he would not move a short distance. :mad:

It's a guessing game and a the game is to get as close as you safely can,as quicky as you can and then hope one of those old hens don't move to him and cut you off.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum