Probelm with Red Dot Shotgun Scope For Turkeys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Re: Probelm with Red Dot Shotgun Scope For Turkeys

Postby sherlockbonez » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:11 am

Have you tried adjustable fibre optic sights? I've seen shotguns shoot all over the place...maybe not a foot over, but a few inches up, down and all around. Fibre optic sights don't use battery, and much light and lower profile for snaking about in the woods. Just a thought.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:15 pm

sherlockbonez wrote:Have you tried adjustable fibre optic sights? I've seen shotguns shoot all over the place...maybe not a foot over, but a few inches up, down and all around. Fibre optic sights don't use battery, and much light and lower profile for snaking about in the woods. Just a thought.

Sherlock, no i have not, I am having an excellent turkey season so far and no spooked birds. I shot a Merriams yesterday afternoon with the sun nearly in my face, muzzle in his direction and no problems. Same for an Osceola two weeks ago, hunted out of a blind for Rios with no spooked birds. So not sure what happend last year, some of them could have been spooked by my decoy arrangement, but the others......who knows. I am feeling better about the scope than I was last year...
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby jsy0175 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:54 pm

have u tried to shoot without the scope? how far are u shooting anywho? i shoot a rem 870 with an undertaker choke tube. i also shoot a 28" barrel. most turkey combos have the shorter barrels. i use the factory bead and i can kill a bird at 55 yards. i don't take many shots like that but i have. i prefer to let them get as close as possible then hamer them home. i just don't c a need for a scope on a turkey gun i guess
did u fart or is that just the swamp!
jsy0175
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sun May 03, 2009 8:32 pm

jsy0175 wrote:have u tried to shoot without the scope? how far are u shooting anywho? i shoot a rem 870 with an undertaker choke tube. i also shoot a 28" barrel. most turkey combos have the shorter barrels. i use the factory bead and i can kill a bird at 55 yards. i don't take many shots like that but i have. i prefer to let them get as close as possible then hamer them home. i just don't c a need for a scope on a turkey gun i guess

JSY, read my e-mail chatter with shoot n goose on page 1, I go through the history of this whole deal. i guess an ideal shot for me now is 35-45 yards, but as far as 50 and as close as 25 or 30. I shot a Merriams at 23 or so on Wed, it was a bit of a mess...
As far as the scope....I was the same as you, now I can't believe I ever hunted without one. Precision amazing, but may have issues with the glass to overcome...take care.
NMBlackgold
hunter

Previous

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum