Duck Hunting Forum banner

youth guns

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Outdoor Gal 
#1 ·
hey guys just a quick question/poll for everyone. i am looking into buying a youth model 20 gauge to set up as a turkey gun to take to the youth hunt this coming season up at fort bragg, and for other future hunts with youngsters. i have never personally owned a youth gun so i dont know much about them, so i am just curious as to what some of your favorite set ups are in a youth turkey gun?

#3 ·
thanks tripleC that is 1 of the ones that has sparked my interest. i know that i still love my 870 as much now as i did several years ago when i bought it, and it has downed many a turkey. cheap, reliable, and readily available

#5 ·
Trigger,
You the man as always my friend. I hope to get to hunt with you this duck season and I look forward to the Ft Bragg youth hunt already.
As far as a good 20 gauge. Call me crazy, but my daughter, nefhew ( Cody ) and my nefhew in PA all shoot the Charles Daly 20 gauge field. I have taken my daughters gun duck hunting and see use to shoot ALOT of clays with it. All three guns have always preformed perfectly. And at the price you can`t beat it.
Don`t let the name fool you, I have shot the 12 gauge version for 4 years now. And you can ask our friends. It always goes boom.

STUMP

#6 ·
I think a common misconception of a youth gun, is that it needs to be 20ga. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with a 20ga, but they kick about as much as a 12ga, and sometimes more.

If you get a good fitting 12ga, you can buy rounds that don't kick as bad as there is a lot more versatility out there for a 12ga so long as it fits, IMO.

I would either go with a .410 or a 12. I believe remington and mossberg both make your models. If they are big enough to handle a 20ga, they should be big enough to handle a 12, and I feel that due to round versatility you can get a 12 ga that kicks less.

Also, I don't know if you are giving away the guns, but odd are that if you give the gun away, the kid will want a 12 in a couple of years anyways.

Good luck, glad to see people getting kids in the woods.

#8 ·
thanks for your inputs guys, and Stump, I'd love to do some duck hunting with you this year unfortunatley my season has and will continue to be spent in Japan so no ducks for me this year, but that only means that turkey season is on like donkey kong. I'm gettin itchy already and it aint even january.

#9 ·
After readin alot of good things about the CD's I went to the local walmart and aked to see the youth 20 g. pump that they had on display. The gun felt nice, pretty balanced and not very heavy and it seemed to fit my 11 year old step son quite well. I wanted to check the action on it and when i pumped it I was surprised. It felt very chunky to me and thinking like an 11 year old I had to decide if I could pump the gun safely or not. I went to another sporting goods dealer in town and looked at the 870 and the Mossberg 500. Both seemed to cycle way smoother than the CD did. The Mossberg was about $40 more than the CD but it also came with 3 chokes, the 870 was about 40-50 more than the Mossberg and I dont know if it came with chokes or not. I ended up buying him the Mossberg for christmas and he has been very happy with it and so have I. Its a great little gun :thumbsup:

#10 ·
I had a youth Mossberg 500 and it was a really nice little gun. Plus I prefer a tang safety. We sold it to a friend, for his son, when I picked up a SxS. Of course now there are times when I wish I still had that 20 and I'm now looking for another one. Figures. I should have kept it. ;)

Groudswatter, I agree about the recoil, however the weight of a 12g might be awkward or a bit much for some kids. Granted they could grow into a 12 pretty quickly. I suppose it depends on the kid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.