Winchester xtended range hi density

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Winchester xtended range hi density

Postby wildernessninja » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Fund this stuff at a gas station and got a box. Was looking for hevi shot when i saw the winchesters next to it.10 round 38 bucks 3inch #4. Only thing i fund online about them is that it was discontinued. Anyone out there ever shoot these?
wildernessninja
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Winchester xtended range hi density

Postby Darryle » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:24 pm

You said it, discontinued
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
NSCA Life Member 646442
Darryle
Orphanedcowboy

Postby Soggy Socks » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:03 am

Yep, in 3" 6's. Killed a lot of birds with them I have 14 left. Great load wish they had not stopped making it. I've killed em a long ways off when they wouldn't cooperate with this load
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby rainingmallards » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:40 am

but it does not compare with the HEVISHOT Magnum Blends
rainingmallards
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:04 am

wilder -- The Win Xtended Range High Density loads are very good loads.

Here is a link to an article that might be helpful.

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/hunt ... _loads.htm

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 pm

Good article, Joe I've killed em past the range they say. I think the only bird I've missed with them was too close less than 10 yards i couldnt shoot before he got in that close. It will do it everytime out past that with my Gold. Magnum blend not great in my gun at least for now I may try them with a different choke when I'm out of wins. Hopefully two more years anyway Ill try others, Leaning towards Fed 7's .
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:47 pm

Soggy -- It's a little out of date and doesn't have every load available but still a good info on load performance. If you can shoot lead where you hunt, the Win Long Beard load is an outstanding turkey load!

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 am

Joe I bought some last year and tried it in my Maxus with an Indian Creek choke and it did pattern very well with 5's. My daughter used my A5 with it last year with a Tru Lock and 6's shot a big tom. My son uses it in his 11-87 with 5's shot three or four with it it patterned well in every gun but my Gold Ill do more with it whn I run out of Wins. That tungston really does the job
Soggy Socks
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:19 am

Yes, those Winchester Xtended Range tungsten based loads are very good and I still have a few that I'll use on turkeys. However, the Winchester Long Beard load is an extremely tight patterning lead load that I've taken several turkeys with too.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of how the LBs perform.

Pattering results are from a 12-gauge 3" Remington 870 Special Purpose with a 26" barrel and a Remington Turkey Super Full Extended Choke (.063” constriction from bore gauge).

Pattern testing was done on 48” x 48” pattern sheets with a turkey head-and-neck target centered on each sheet. This turkey head-and-neck target provided an aim point and allowed for Skull/Cervical Vertebra Hit data for each pattern shot. The distance from muzzle to pattern was measured with a tape and then one pattern shot was fired at each of five pattern sheets with each load.

Following the pattern shots, a 30” diameter pattern circle was centered over the densest portion of each pattern and the pellet strikes were counted. The five-shot averages for pattern counts, pattern percentages and S/CV Hits are shown in the figures below. Additionally, the in-shell pellet counts are the average from five shells that were opened and counted.

12 GA 3" WINCHESTER LONG BEARD XR SHOT-LOK TURKEY LOAD
1 3/4 OZ #5 LEAD (305) (RESIN ENCASED, COPPER COATED) 1,200 FPS
REMINGTON TURKEY SUPER FULL EXTENDED CHOKE

40 YARDS / 30” / 10” / S/CV HITS
AVER / 295 (97%) / 118 / 11.0

50 YARDS / 30” / 10” / S/CV HITS
AVER / 275 (90%) / 89 / 7.4

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby Soggy Socks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:27 am

I had bought my daughter a Franchi Affinity compact. Last weekend after she got done shooting some clays I screwed in the Trulock turkey choke I got for it and had her shoot it with Federal 7's what a pattern, maybe too tight inside of 30 yards I'm definitely not gonna let the bird get too close before I tell her to shoot.
Soggy Socks
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum