Turkey Vest

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkey Vest

Postby OtterDog83 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:00 am

Any suggestions on a turkey vest? I am a new turkey hunter, so my arsenal of calls is not overwhelming, but would like a vest that will grow with my experience and gear to tote in the field. A game pouch and cushion a vital for me as well...

Vest with strap or shoulder sleeve?

I just got a new NWTF BPS, so I am fired up!!!!
Deer, Ducks, Doves, Turkeys and my little brown Boykin, Otter.
OtterDog83
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:02 pm

Go to a sporting goods shop and try a few on. The trick is to put it on, sinch it up, put your calls in it (yes, bring them with you), then jump up and down, do the twist, squat, sit, ect. the one that makes the least noise...buy it. Don't worry about anything else. so what if it doesn't have a cushion..they are cheap. You can just buy one. Don't get cought up in the fashion show...it plagues turkey hunting as much as it does waterfowling. Hope that helps.

remember that it's all about patience.
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby OtterDog83 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:14 pm

Great idea...thanks.
Deer, Ducks, Doves, Turkeys and my little brown Boykin, Otter.
OtterDog83
hunter

Postby JoeyO » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:48 am

I purchased the tatical tatr from cabellas

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

it does the job. Plenty of pockets, actually it can use somemore mouth call slots and pot call slots but whatever.

Actually talking about cushions, this one has a cushion but I'm going to take it off... gets in the way of mobility. I would rather buy a small seat or somthing like that. I think cabellas has a turkey rest or turkey seat...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1
United States Air Force
A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JoeyO
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:16 am

I use a collapable stool thing sometimes. Other times i don't use anything at all. It all depends.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:18 am

I use a collapable stool thing sometimes. Other times i don't use anything at all. It all depends.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby JoeyO » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:10 am

it all depends on the weather, when I am out for fall turkey I am there all day reguardless of weather. A wet ass is bad..
United States Air Force
A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JoeyO
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:04 pm

http://www.hunting-fishing-gear.com/art ... /1486.html

Comfortable, plenty of space for storage, and you don`t need a tree to sit against

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby H2OFlow » Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:47 pm

I have used the plain jane cabelas vest for about 10 years. A few repairs but still going strong. Great value so you can save money and buy some good calls. I also take the foam seat off most days and use a "turkey seat." Gets me off the ground and better shooting position for that long wait till he comes in. Have looked at some of the "new" vests out and if I do ever decide to replace mine I'm gonna stick with the same Cabelas model I've used for years. All these new ones have to many bells and whistles for me.
H2OFlow
Newb

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 am

I agree, head to your local SP store. So many out there :thumbsup: , the one thing that I would suggest is make sure it has a double front fastner system. My old vest had a single buckle and it hooked low on the vest. It had a way of sliding off my shoulders with a load. :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

check out Bucklick Creek turkey lounger!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Postby mches67 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:12 pm

There's a great new turkey seat out called The Air Saddle. It's an inflatable seat cushion that you can carry in a pocket, inflate when your ready to use it and strap it on. This is the most comfortable seat I've ever used. No more sitting on the ground and having my legs go numb after about 30 minutes.

I found this product at www.racknfeathers.com but I think the air saddle has a website too.

http://www.racknfeathers.com/brands/airsaddle.aspx[/img]
mches67
Newb

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:39 am

I use the Limbhanger by mossy oak appearel and love the vest,it is the third vest I have ever had, and by far the most comfortable one!Fitting all your gear and comfort of wear are important,along with accessability to your gear while sitting,it works well! But I do like the looks of the new Tactical Tat'r! :yes:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5