fan mount

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

fan mount

Postby kenjenw » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:20 am

My daughter and I shot a turkey and would like to "mount" the fan and ideas on how I can do it myself?

kenjenw
hunter

Postby Red Earth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Cool! Nothing better than getting kids out in the field with ya!

I am working on a tail mount right now.... Trying something new!

assuming you have spread, pinned and salted the tail to dry already....

I have a nice block of Oak.... I cut it the shape of the spread tail.... I am going to notch the top of the board with a dado blade to receive the base of the tail.

I drilled out the center of a shotgun shell, cut the plastic part off, and pulled the beard through.... Used a light stick scotch tape around the beard to keep it together and get it through the hole.

I am going to laser a turkey scene on it with the dates. Then mount the tail and shell under it.

I am not sure if I will keep it as a stand or plane down the wood to make a wall mount yet.

Phil
Phil
Red Earth
hunter

Postby kenjenw » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:41 pm

"...assuming you have spread, pinned and salted the tail to dry already."

This is the part that I need help on... :help:
kenjenw
hunter

Postby Red Earth » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:14 pm

Oh okay....

If you saved a box from one of those huge toys you had to put together on Christmas for your little girl....... cut a side out of it.

Hopefully when you cut the tail off you left a little meat on the knuckle or joint that holds the tail together.

Spread the fan open on a piece of cardboard, styrofoam, what ever is handy...... (I use nails in foam) Just put a few nails or pins above the first quill...two per side should be fine. Let it lay flat.

Salt the small amount of meat on the joint and let it sit for a few weeks.......

That's about it.
Phil
Red Earth
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:20 pm

Hopefully as stated you cut above the fan section to where it is attached to the tail bone.

1. Cutt skin back and remove and bone material
2. Work around the quill ends and scrap as much fat out as possible. The more the better!
3. Take a piece of cardboard and spread the fan out. Use sewing pins ( needles ) and place them next to the quills in the fan to hold them in place.
4. Cover the area you scraped with either salt or borax
5 In a week, remove the borax and scrap any remaining fat tissue
6. Re-pin to cardboard for two weeks or until dry ( meaning all fat is dry )
7. I like to make up a mixture of bondo and place it around the area you cleaned. Don`t make it thick or it won`t fit into the plage you are going to use. The reason I like to bondo mine is two fold. First NO BUGS!!!!! second the fan will be permenatly spread the way I want it. If you don`t allow it to dry enough before removing it from the card board it may shrink inward and start to fold up

http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/articles/fan.htm

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Ryan Hill » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:15 am

I mounted my first turkey fan in the fall and it looks great but is there any technique or product I can use to preen the feathers so the tips aren't split?
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:34 pm

You need to wash and dry the fan before mounting it. Once dry they should be nice and smooth. You may try to lightly stroke the rough ended feathers from bottom to tip direction. This might help them smooth back up. If that doesn't work then you can wet the tips with coleman fuel and use a hair dryer to dry and fluff them.

If you use a glue gun and alittle tape you should beable to have a finished product in less than 30 minutes....I do all the fans on the turkeys I mount the same way....quick and easy. :thumbsup:
duxrus
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum