Hopefully as stated you cut above the fan section to where it is attached to the tail bone.
1. Cutt skin back and remove and bone material
2. Work around the quill ends and scrap as much fat out as possible. The more the better!
3. Take a piece of cardboard and spread the fan out. Use sewing pins ( needles ) and place them next to the quills in the fan to hold them in place.
4. Cover the area you scraped with either salt or borax
5 In a week, remove the borax and scrap any remaining fat tissue
6. Re-pin to cardboard for two weeks or until dry ( meaning all fat is dry )
7. I like to make up a mixture of bondo and place it around the area you cleaned. Don`t make it thick or it won`t fit into the plage you are going to use. The reason I like to bondo mine is two fold. First NO BUGS!!!!! second the fan will be permenatly spread the way I want it. If you don`t allow it to dry enough before removing it from the card board it may shrink inward and start to fold up
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'