Decoys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Decoys

Postby LongSnapper » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:02 pm

Are the 100$ decoys worth it? Or are they designed to fool/sell the hunter and not the bird? I have the folding foam decoys that you can just fold and stow in your vest. Do I need anything more than those? I always go with people to their place, and so I have never needed decoys as we just use theirs, but I have acquired some land with turkeys on it and so I reckon I ought to purchase some decoys of my own. What's a good decoy that won't break the bank? Was looking at the HS Strut Snoods because the local sporting goods store is selling them 60% off? Anyone use or know anything about these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by LongSnapper on Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
LongSnapper
hunter

Remove Advertisements

DuckHuntingChat.com
Advertisement

Re: Decoys

Postby walnuts4x4 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:46 pm

I run avains and they work good enough for me... If I would of had the extra cash I might have bought dsd but the avains are hard to beat for the price...
walnuts4x4
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:09 pm

I still use the foam ones, work fine, I just use jakes. My buddy uses Avians, work fine, uses hens and a jake. The foam ones are more comfortable to sit on if I don't put them out though.
If you believe in the 150 pellets in the 10 inch circle, I guarantee you will miss more turkeys!!
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:23 pm

I had 3 young gobblers walk right up to my old foam decoys this past weekend. I really don't think you need those fancy decoys, designed to fool the hunter as you put it.

With that said if your hunting heavily pressured birds that extra detail probably comes in handy. Theres always some old Gobblers out there that really know the game well.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:44 pm

Seem to be a little shaky around the decoys this year. Foam or Avian. Just an observation.
If you believe in the 150 pellets in the 10 inch circle, I guarantee you will miss more turkeys!!
Cujo1
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:53 pm

I believe they are 100% worth it, if you can afford them. I think most decoys will bring in birds, but the difference for me has been the ability to hold birds in the decoys. This past weekend my DSD Upright Hen was beat on by other hens for 6-8 hours. There aren't many hens that come in and don't try to beat up my decoy. This wouldn't happen with foam decoys. Same goes for the Jake decoy, it gets beat up by a majority of birds that come by. They just can't stand that Jake having those hens around. Are there going to be birds that won't come in, yeah, but most of the birds do seem to come in.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:03 pm

I hunt without decoys. Haven't felt the need to use one for more than 20 years. Give me a gun, a call and a seat cushion. The birds come looking for the call and 25 yards is a long shot for me most of the time.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby BaitsandBullets » Tue May 23, 2017 11:01 am

When I use decoys, I use G&H. Their D-Turk pack is great! Very durable, like their goose and duck decoys, and made in America. You can get a whole pack of decoys with a really tough camo carry case, cheaper than those over priced decoys. Best of luck to you.
"I'm killin 'em with a Southern Accent!" - Southern Accent Calls
BaitsandBullets
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum