turky plot

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

turky plot

Postby cONG » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:32 pm

anyone have good luck plating a turkey plot? thinking of plating one this year but don't have allot of money to do so
cONG
hunter

Postby tripleCBoykins » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:02 am

Clover works wonders, Red is cheap and grows well in the spring! But I find that White/Ladino is more productive. Although any of the white's are great. I have been wanting to try Durana out, supposed to be a great perineal clover. That is very low in maintainence and last's for years with an occasional mowing and fertilizer.
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:53 am

tripleCBoykins wrote:Clover works wonders, Red is cheap and grows well in the spring! But I find that White/Ladino is more productive. Although any of the white's are great. I have been wanting to try Durana out, supposed to be a great perineal clover. That is very low in maintainence and last's for years with an occasional mowing and fertilizer.

AGREED.
Chufa is the best food plot material for turkeys BUT it is expensive.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:46 pm

do you guys hunt over food plots? how many turkey stay around in the spring
cONG
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:44 am

Food plots WILL hold birds. But you need other things as well.
Brood habitat ( for hens to nest )
Water source
Roosting trees
And freedom to roam without alot of preditars

I have hunted over and around different food plots. Clover or a mix works real nice, The birds love the bugs. But chufa by far exceeds all others. They eat the tubers and the bugs

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby coastalducker » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Chufa is the best,but the expense and other factors I fond make it not as appealing. you have to plant it the season before and have mother nature on your side to get a God crop.since it needs to be planted in a soil that drains well, a 30 day dry spell in the summer ca ruin it. Then on the other hand, a God stand can be eaten up through the winter and be gone before turkey season. rape is cheap and if you get it in the ground 30 days bfore the season it will be up before the season starts.I found that the turkeys love it when it is in that early lettuce stage. planted with a clover, the rape will shelter the clover in th crucial first 30 day of growing. The rape will seed out ine the summer and die off leaving a good stand of clover to start your deer season off in the fall.Just my two cents<buts worked good for me here on the coast.
coastalducker
hunter

Postby spoonerlab » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:24 pm

I dont know much about what plants to grow but i do know that if possible make the plots in an akward shape not an O or a square and try not to harvest hay until the first week of June because the polts and the hen will not move even when the mower is on top of them. These are probably common sense to most people but i just learned them the other day from a turkey hunting book. :thumbsup:
spoonerlab
hunter

Postby JoeyO » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:17 pm

stumpjumper wrote:
tripleCBoykins wrote:AGREED.
Chufa is the best food plot material for turkeys BUT it is expensive.

STUMP

I second that, Chufa is turkey gold but can be hard to grow.. how big is your plot? Usually if I'm correct its only a few pounds per couple hundred square feet.

I saw some sights online sell 10 lbs for about 30 bucks, that would go far.

Clover is also great..
United States Air Force
A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JoeyO
hunter

Postby cONG » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 pm

I have a place a farmer will let me use some of his fields and leave a place for me to plant on. I was just think when he plows the ground I will just throw some seed on top of it. use some clover and chufa and see witch one works best
cONG
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum