Hi-Viz: Good or Bad?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Back sights?

Poll ended at Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 1

Hi-Viz: Good or Bad?

Postby OtterDog83 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:02 pm

I got a new NWTF series Browning BPS 24" 12 gauge for Chirstmas and can't wait to get in the turkey woods.

I plan on sightin' this new fella in this week...

The gun came with a fiber optic front sight which I will enjoy as well as the Hi-Viz back sights. I like the idea of these sights, but am not sure about the way the Hi-Viz pops off the top of the barrel or how effective it really is with a tom getting in range.

Any words of encouragement or disagreement on putting this Hi-Viz back sight on the new jelly head undertaker?
Deer, Ducks, Doves, Turkeys and my little brown Boykin, Otter.
OtterDog83
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Front AND rear sights are a must if you want to be DEAD on the money when you pull the trigger on that gobbler you`ve been working for the last few hours. I WILL NOT hunt turkeys without one. I`ve set and listened to many a hunter say that they use only a front bead or no sights at all. I say shame on you. You leave way to much room for error and run the chance of wounding a bird or making a complete miss. WHY????? Personaly I work way to hard to get a big bird in range to screw it all up when I pull the trigger.
Here are the sights I highly recommend for turkey hunting http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/11620-1.html
These sights are made of metal, and are fully adjustable in elevation and windage. And best of all they are affordable. Hell most quality pot calls cost more.

As for the Jelly Head turkey choke, my daughter uses one and it throws the best patterns out of all the chokes she has tried. It will do you a fine job.
Make sure you pattern the gun and are dead on when that special moment comes

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:46 pm

BAD! They sight is too big in dia.! If a turkey is @ 40 yards, and you put the bead on him, you could be 18 inches to the left or right and not know it. best sight - take your gun to a gunsmith and ask him to put the smallest brass bead he has on it. (about 1/32" dia.) this will fully cover a turkeys head at 50 yards. Trust me, you will miss less with this set-up! :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:46 pm

Can depend on what type of hunting you do. If you hunt out of a blind or stay put they can be great. If you hunt like i do and dont like to be still, they can be a problem. I like to get close to the birds without waiting for them, if you do a lot of belly crawling or sneaking through dense brush, the sights can be bent, pulled off and so on. If possible use them and sight them in well.
Jarbo03
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum