Getting Started

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Getting Started

Postby defensefirst » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:58 am

My sons and I have always duck hunted. Now they want to start turkey hunting. I have a few questions that I need help on.
Choke- do you want it tight(Full) or spread open?

Calling-do you call the bird into you or are you locating the bird and going to them?

Decoys- are they effective?

Thanks for any help.
defensefirst
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 am

I'm not a turkey hunting pro, but here are my opinions.

As for a choke. Usually Turkey chokes are full or extra full chokes. Since the kill zone on a turkey is their head and neck, you want to put as many pellets on their head and neck as you can. I usually use #4 or #6 lead turkey shot.

As for calling, yes you call them into you and yes you call to locate them and go after them. It depends on the situation.

If the birds are real active and keep getting closer and closer, I might hang tight, but if you've been doing this for 20 minutes, the tom is gobbling but not getting any closer, I may get closer to him, and call and see if I can entice him from a closer range.

Also, how to call turkeys is a strange thing as well. Its like calling ducks, sometimes they respond well to calls and gobble all the way to you. Sometimes they don't respond at all. Sometimes they come in but are perfectly quiet. Not to mention that some calls work better on some days than others, mouth calls, box calls, slate calls. I use a box call, but its hard to use a box call when they come in close as you might spook the birds with your movement.

I just got a decoy for Christmas so my experience with deeks is limited for turkeys but I think in certain situations they can be effective. At the very least, it gives the turkeys something to key in on that isn't you.

I don't know how old your sons are, but a pop-up blind might be a good idea. Turkey's have very good vision so if you don't think that your sons can sit still, it is a must. You can kill them leaned up against a tree on the ground, but again, you have to be perfectly still and camouflaged, face masks are a must. I relate it to hunting deer from the ground, you have to be still and even more camo'd up.

Other tips, you can pattern the birds by putting them to bed, i.e. watching where they roost, then once you do this it gives you a better idea as to where to setup the next morning. Also if you've seen toms in a field every day at around the same time for a couple of weeks, you can bet they'll be there the next day.

I'm sure the other guys on here will have a lot to add.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 am

Oh and I forgot to tell you. Prepare to get addicted.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

thanks

Postby defensefirst » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:29 am

Oh great, I can hardly afford our Duck addiction.
Thanks for the info, it should help me get started in the right direction.

Thanks GroundSwatter
defensefirst
hunter

Postby meatwagon8 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 am

Here is my best advice. Go and buy a pound of patience. The go and get the biggest jug of patience you can find. Then try to find some extra patience laying around the house. Tell your boys to bring some patience with them. Fill every pocket in your turkey vest with patience. Carry as much patience with you as you can. And at last thing to remember is PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE!!!
SEASON TOTALS ARE FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
meatwagon8
hunter

Re: thanks

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:02 am

defensefirst wrote:Oh great, I can hardly afford our Duck addiction.
Thanks for the info, it should help me get started in the right direction.

Thanks GroundSwatter

I didn't mean to make it sound that expensive, but like all things you get addicted to it starts costing more an more.

Its just like duck hunting, you can make it as cheap or as expensive as you like. I killed my first turkey with a box call and a shotgun leaning up against a tree. My friend and I spent fifteen minutes clucking, heard a gobble, setup on a fence line and 5 minutes later killed a young tom. The kill came on day 2, day 1 was a full day of walking, trying to chase and wait out gobblers, and we saw a couple that never came into range.

I still don't own a turkey vest and only have a couple of calls which is soon to change b/c I'm a call addict.

I deer hunt, so my pop-up blind gets double use when I decide to take the wife. The only reason I suggest it, is if your son moves around quite a bit, it can cause problems. I don't trust my wife to sit that still.

Just to get started, go buy a box call and some turkey shot and give it a whirl.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Re: Getting Started

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:28 am

defensefirst wrote:My sons and I have always duck hunted. Now they want to start turkey hunting. I have a few questions that I need help on.
Choke- do you want it tight(Full) or spread open?

Calling-do you call the bird into you or are you locating the bird and going to them?

Decoys- are they effective?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the great sport of turkey hunting. As stated make sure you have PATIENCE above all else. The smart and elusive male turkey is a worhty adversary.

Next the sport is not expensive as you would think. You can be well equiped for a fraction of duck hunting gear.
Chokes- Yes you will want a full, extra full, or a extra extra full. I use a Pure Gold Turkey Choke and shot Heavy Shot #5s. The Heavy Shot does not kick nearly as bad as copper plated shot. Trust me on this one.
Also you will need a good set of fully adjustable sights. I recommend Williams Fire sight. Best out there but not the most expensive. The last thing you want to do is either wound a bird or miss when the moment comes.
Calls- You will need different types of calls. First you need locator calls. I recommend a Owl hooter, Palmers Hoot tube, crow, and a wood pecker call. You will blow these attempting to get the bird to shock gobble and give away his location. They work best in the morning and evening.
Once the bird is located attempt to get within 100 yards of him. GO SLOW!!!! They have excellant eye sight and hearing. When your ready you will need actual turkey calls. For a beginer I would look at a box call, or a push-button call. Many birds have fallen to these over the years. Also consider a pot call and mouth calls. I strickly use pot calls and mouth calls if possible. But have the other calls at hand if need be.
Basically you locate the bird, move in as close as you can and call him to you. It will take a LONG time to know when to call, volume and how much. All depends on the response you are getting.
Decoys- They are both good and bad. I typicaly place out 1 hen and 1 jake in dense woods. In fields I use 1 jake, 1 feeding hen, 1 semi erect hen and one full erect. I give off the impression of a flock of hens being courted by a jake. ALWAYS face the jake toward you within 30 yards and the hens facing away from you. A gobbler will come in and go beak to beak with the jake or to the back of a hen decoy.

The best thing I can tell you is to pattern your shotgun. Make sure you are dead on. No Kentucky windage or quessdamation shooting. Aim at where the red conicals are located on the neck. This way you cover ALL of the kill zone. Wear GREAT camo and be still.

BEst of luck to you sir. Try not to go crazy trying to get in a gobblers head

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tracy ky » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 pm

If at all possible avoid walking across open fields or ridge tops.

by all means hunt the open fields and ridge tops as they will probably strut there sometime during the day.

but don't walk out into the open unless you have to.
love bass fishing, turkey hunting, & bow hunting
tracy ky
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:22 am

Not trying to pull you away from this site, but check out the Turkey and Turkey Hunting Maganize website. There is a forum there as well. It's not any better or worse than this one, but the whole site is dedicated to turkey. I find myself drifting off to duck/goose stuff here when I logged on for turkey stuff in the 1st place. So far all the advice you got is sound. +1 on the patience. Turkey hunting can be a fashion show too, so keep a level head when it comes to gear/camo
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby cut_un » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Yea, what they said :thumbsup: The guys gave you a good heads up. It's a great sport and most of the fun is bumping along and learning from the turkeys. It's really not as hard as some folks make it out to be. My "word" of advice, sit back, relax and enjoy the journey... it'll last a lifetime :yes:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

My two cents

Postby maustypsu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:46 am

Get yourself a box call, an instruction CD and a CD of real birds in the wild. That's all you need to have fun and have a chance to kill a bird.

Turkeys have been killed in blue jeans with 2 3/4 inch shells with factory fixed chokes on a 20 gauge shot gun after being fooled by a family heirloom of a box call that probably didn't have enough chalk on it. If that saves you enough money to afford gas on a few extra scouting trips you'll be way ahead of the game.

Now, I have not followed my own advice above and in true duck hunter fashion, I'm sure you won't either. I have three of every gadget on the market and every year find that I haven't spent as much pre-season time in the woods as I had planned. But 90% of the birds you can kill, you can kill with a box call and a few basic turkey sounds to let them know you are there.

The most important part of that is being THERE - the right place at the right time. Some times that phrase refers to luck but in turkey hunting it is more likely the result of boots on the ground and open ears at sunrise weeks before the season opens. Oh yeah, and when you get THERE stay THERE. I think somebody above used the word patience once or twice (or a dozen times). Read their post again the night before the season starts.

Good luck!
maustypsu
Newb

Postby cut_un » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:36 am

Agree 1000%, it's a mind game with the turkeys, if you are calling to a "cold turkey", chances are you will not be successful...but when that turkey you are talking to has LOVE on his mind, and he thinks you are that willing hen...it's magic. Stick with it. lean a few basic calls to begin with and you will enjoy...trust me :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby mches67 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:47 pm

Do yourself a BIG favor and get a good turkey seat. There's nothing worse than being uncomfortable on the ground and not being able to move.

There's a new product called The Air Saddle. This is a great new turkey seat that I'm recommending to anybody that will listen.

Check it out at www.racknfeathers.com or www.myairsaddle.com

http://www.racknfeathers.com/brands/airsaddle.aspx

It will be the best $20 you spend on your turkey hunting.
mches67
Newb

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum