new turkey choke

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

new turkey choke

Postby duhunter09 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:04 pm

hey i am looking for a choke for my remington 11 87 any one know a good choke for it.
duhunter09
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Pure Gold
Rhino
Kicks

All of these are top notch chokes.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cONG » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:44 pm

what about the undertaker
cONG
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:25 am

cONG wrote:what about the undertaker

Normaly the undertaker is bored .010 larger than most quality after market chokes. I and alot of friends have tried them in an attempt to save money. They are ok and WILL kill a turkey but I feel after doing alot of patterning that the higher end chokes out perform them. Personal opinion here is all. If it patterns good for you then by all means please use it.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ClintV » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:40 pm

I've used several over the years, and the best performance I've gotten is with a Kicks out of my 870 supermag. No matter which choke you try, you are going to have to try several different loads and shot sizes to find the perfect combo for your gun and choke. Just because you have a 3 1/2" gun and a Kicks choke, doesn't mean you'll get identical performance to my set up, or that my performance will match the next guys.

My particular gun really likes 3" Hevi-shot #5s, but my brother's 11-87 doesn't pattern them well at all. I haven't found a 3 1/2" that patterns as well as the 3" in my gun (and don't know that it's needed-the 3" kill them dead as a door nail as far as I have any business shooting at 'em :thumbsup: ) You just have to experiment with several different chokes/loads and find what works best for you. It's an expensive proposition, but if you have several buddies and each buys a couple of boxes of different brands/loads it really helps out with the financial aspect of patterning your gun.
ClintV
hunter

Re: new turkey choke

Postby Kurt Lehman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:26 am

Indian Creek Black daimond strike, if you are looking for one of the very best. But Jelly Heads do very well in Remingtons as well.

Kurt
Kurt Lehman
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum