Is it Turkey Season Yet

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Is it Turkey Season Yet

Postby GroundSwatter » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:38 pm

I was checking my trail camera, actually picking it up for the season, and I got this.

I can't help but get pumped up about April. I've seen a lot of hens in this area, and a couple of passing toms, while deer hunting and can't wait until April.

I posted the squirrels because I thought they were cool picks for a trail cam.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:19 am

o man big turkey,
cONG
hunter

Postby lockedup » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:01 am

what kind of trail camera do you have there?
Harvest 'em!!!
lockedup
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:24 am

Moultrie ISpy40. Basically their 4 megapixel camera with the Infrared flash.

http://www.chasingame.com/
This site has a lot of reviews of different game cameras. No game camera that they reviewed was perfect, but the Moultrie seemed like a good buy. The site also has a some good tips on mounting cameras.

I prefer the Infrared flash over a standard flash. From what I've read, the deer don't really care, but it makes it harder for someone that may be poaching or trespassing to spot your camera at night. The drawback is that your night time pic's are only in black and white, but I can still count points on a buck in black and white.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby cut_un » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:39 pm

Man, got one more duck hunt and several goose hunts left...but been thinking about those big old black birds for several weeks now..... Bring em on :thumbsup:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby BigBend » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:39 pm

Im starting to get fired up too. But I get to start in march :yes:
BigBend
State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:52 pm

I've always wanted to go to Florida and get me an Osceola. Then go to Texas for a Rio and then get a Merriams and an Eastern to boot.

So far all I've managed is a Rio and an Eastern.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:10 am

Nice turkey!

I'm getting excited for turkey season. Last year was my first attempt and Michigan has short season. Only a week for most. I missed one and had a good chance at a beautiful tom but it didn't pan out. I need to start practicing shooting left-handed. :p

I have bunny hunting to hold me over until spring turkey. But I already can't wait!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby cut_un » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:09 pm

OG, last year was just a tune up for ya...... I get the feeling... this year....things are going to be different :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: If ya can kill "a bunny", with a sling-shot, I know you can kill a big old turkey bird :rofl: :rofl:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:04 am

Thanks. :rofl: I sure hope so!
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:19 pm

idaho's season is like 5 weeks but the F&G sets it too early, i never even see turkey during our season because we still have 5 feet of snow on the ground and the birds are non responsive.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby cut_un » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Man, that's a bummer, our season here in Va. ...as a rule comes in during the peak of gobbling( mid April) and most seasons, the first week is red hot. depends on the spring.... but, been seeing more spring turkey hunting on TV lately..... getting me fired up, but then.... it does NOT take much :oops:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby JoeyO » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:29 pm

NJ starts this April, put a smile on my face this Sunday when I submitted my lottery application. Have some running around to do this weekend, lots of spots to check out...
United States Air Force
A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JoeyO
hunter

Does it ever go out of season???

Postby maustypsu » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:32 am

I'm a big fan of duck hunting, probably my favorite sport. But this year for some reason (maybe because I have some promising new land) I have been listening to turkey calling CDs and watching turkey hunting DVDs since December. Normally, I'd have the waterfowl dvds/cds going until the last ride home for the season. But this year the turkey bug hit me early.

I pulled out my decoys last night to let them 'puff up' and get the creases out. I guess three months should do the trick... :wink:

Bring on the beards!
maustypsu
Newb

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum