Too tite?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Too tite?

Postby dogknott » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm getten back into turkey hunting and see that there is a pile of aftermarket tubes. Got to thinken, how tite is too tite on constriction, I shoot 3 1/2 12 gauge lead, no hevi-shot yet.
Will .655 be too tite and tend to distort the pattern?
Will a 665 still give a good pattern out to 50 yards?
I plan on patterning several differnt loads, just dont want to end up with something too tite. If it matters, i will probly be shooting a Remington and 5 or 6 shot
dogknott
hunter

Re: Too tite?

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:48 pm

dogknott wrote:I'm getten back into turkey hunting and see that there is a pile of aftermarket tubes. Got to thinken, how tite is too tite on constriction, I shoot 3 1/2 12 gauge lead, no hevi-shot yet.
Will .655 be too tite and tend to distort the pattern?
Will a 665 still give a good pattern out to 50 yards?
I plan on patterning several differnt loads, just dont want to end up with something too tite. If it matters, i will probly be shooting a Remington and 5 or 6 shot

Yep there is a thing as too much choke for certain shot. For example, I shot a Mossberg 835 with a 28" barrel, and using a Pure Gold .670 tube. I purchased MANY different rounds to fire out of this gun. All of them were 3 1/2" shells except I bought some 3 1/2" hevi-13 and two different 3" Heavi 13 loads ( 1 3/4 and 1 7/8 ).
I couldn`t for the life of me get ANY of the 3 1/2" loads to pattern, so I thru in the 3" Heavi 13 1 7/8 oz and let her rip. Pattern city right there. Then I fired the 3" hevi 13 1 3/4oz round. MONEY!!!!!!! At 40 yards no bird would have lived thru that pattern. Could kill one out farther BUT I will not pull the trigger if he is a step out more than 40 yards. Showed the pattern to a few other real turkey hunters and they were very impressed and swore I had used 3 1/2" high oz #5`s.

In the end, a tight choke is necassary to produce good patterens down range ALONG with other things that help ( backboring, overboring etc ) but one can go over bored and condense the pattern down so far that you distort the pellet shape and end up with alot of fliers or an all out blown pattern.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby meatwagon8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:26 am

What if it is that old bird you have been hunting all year and he is at 41 yards???? I put my money on you pulling the trigger!!!!
SEASON TOTALS ARE FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
meatwagon8
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:37 am

meatwagon8 wrote:What if it is that old bird you have been hunting all year and he is at 41 yards???? I put my money on you pulling the trigger!!!!

MAN YOUR KILLING ME HERE!!!!!!!!
Seriously, judging range can be misleading. As I said, NC has alot of different habitat across the state. A bird 40 yards away in a field looks alot different than one standing 40 yards away in a swamp. So I place my decoys to where my jake is 25 yards out facing toward me and the hens are out to 30 yards. I get SO focused on everything the last thing I want to screw up is shooting when he`s to far out. That is the one mistake I have never made YET. All other possible mistakes in the turkey woods I have done
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogknott » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:54 am

I had always used something for a yarage mark, tree, stump or what ever, so i would know the max distance i could shoot, but always tried to work them in. Just curios how tite i could go on a Remington or Benelli, not backbored. In the past i used full or xtra full, and i felt good with a shot out to 30-35 yards. Still useing lead 5 or 6 shot, but may try the hevi 13 some day.
dogknott
hunter

Postby meatwagon8 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:27 pm

I was just trying to give you a hard time stump!!!!! I love to get them in close also, but if I know that my gun will kill em at 50 yards (which I do know) I will do it as a last resort. But if he is coming I will let him come to no closer than 25 yards. I have missed more birds inside of 25 than I have at the 40-50 yard range.
SEASON TOTALS ARE FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
meatwagon8
hunter

Postby ClintV » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:28 am

the constriction of the tube is going to be dependant upon the bore diameter of your gun. not all 12 gauge shotguns have the same bore diameter, so a .660 tube in a Remington is not going to choke it down as much as say a Mossberg (which is overbored to begin with)

I use a .665 in my Remington, and get excellent results with 3" Hevi-shot #5s, but that doesn't mean you will get the same results. Try several different loads in a couple of different tubes and you'll find the combo that works best in your gun. It helps if you have a couple of buddies to split the cost of the shells, and if they happen to have a couple of different tubes that will fit your gun....all the better.

Good luck, patterning is painful work, and it's costly, but the end result is worth the effort and expense. :thumbsup:
ClintV
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 pm

If you are going with a constriction that tite, i would go with a 3" in no. 5 or 6. I have a mossy 835, and shoot nothing but3" shells, 1 5/8 #6 reloads. More open chokes seem to give better patterns with #4 shot. Great way to pass the time before season is to pattern, gives another reason to shoot your gun. Good Luck.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby cutt-down » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:52 pm

.675 Indian Creek in my BPS. .665 Indian Creek and/or .658 comp-n-choke in the M-1 Super 90. I'd rather have a slightly more open pattern than a super tight pattern. By slightly more open I mean not having most of my shot in a 10" circle. For example I want a volleyball size pattern @ 20yds & a basketball sized pattern @ 40yds so to speak. What I look for is covering the pattern evenly instead of clumps of shot in the pattern. I'd rather have consistent coverage for a "hunting" pattern vs. a super tight core of shot in a circle. There's less margin for error with a pattern that covers the paper vs. one that delivers "x" amount of shot mostly in a 10" circle. Don't get caught up in the number of pellets in a 10" circle unless you are shooting competitively. Pure Gold, Rhino, Indian Creek, jellyhead, & comp-n-choke all make good chokes. I also shoot 3" shells in my guns. Tried 3 1/2" but the 3" seems to pattern better from my experience. You can drive yourself crazy trying to obtain that "perfect" pattern. It will drive you nuts if you let it. I really like the hevi shot in 6's. Great pattern & knockdown. If money is a factor then shoot some Win supreme 3" 1 3/4oz. #5's & get you a jellyhead choke. You'll be happy either way! Don't get me wrong, my patterns are tight but not so tight that I have to worry so much about missing one if he's in close.
cutt-down
hunter

Postby callumcuffumkillum » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:40 pm

I dont think you can get too tight. Its true at 10 yds u might be throwing a baseball. My gun does. That means you just need to shoot at 25 or 30 yards. and you will be able to reach out and tuch those hard to get birds
It's not a passion it's an obsession
callumcuffumkillum
hunter

Postby 935 Flyway » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:24 pm

Remington 12 GA.
.655 is made more for #6's.
.660 #5's
.665#4's
From what,I know the tighter the constriction the small the shot size.

I shot # 6's both copper plated lead & Hevi-13 from my Remington with a .655 Ventilator by Remington.

Their are a lot of after market choke tube to buy from.
Log on to their websites & see what they have recommend
for different size shells & shot sizes.
Smoking the flyways since 1978.
Pacific,Central & Mississippi
935 Flyway
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum