New Turkey Hunter

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

New Turkey Hunter

Postby Ducks4Life14 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:46 pm

I have been a devoted waterfowler for many years now and lately I've been getting interested in turkey hunting. I need info on what choke(s) ammunition and clothing to get and also what slate and box calls work best (I already have a diaphragm call).
The Best Hunters Do What They Can With What They've Got.
Ducks4Life14
hunter

Postby stlOU » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:07 am

couple of thoughts...

1 safety first
2 place- do you have areas picked out? public or private? start walking it now, look for turkeys or sign. the scratch up leaves looking for food.
3 Calls- start working on that now, you need to figure out what works for you. do you have Bass Pro close. they have demos out (not mouth calls!) find an associate to show you how to use the call and see what feels natural. box is the easiest, and I still cant do a pot call at all. I use a mouth call, bought one with a CD and practiced in my truck. It took a while but now I am pretty good. nice thhing about a mouth is it leaves your hands free to line up your shot gun.
4 Camo-head to toe, match your area (see #2)- I use gloves and a headnet. Just like duck hunting, you are liable to see wide fluctations in temperature, so layer
5 Ammo- I use Hevi shot #4 or 5-see if your state has any restrictions for size or non toxic
6 full choke- pattern your choke shot combination from 20,30,40 yards. you want to have good density on the head and neck

hope that helps, let me know if you have anything else
stlOU
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:05 pm

First welcome to the wonderful world of turkey huntin. It's a great sport. Now, to business. Much of the must have's to be successful is overated. The camo we use to duck hunt will work. Just break up that solid color. I do like a camo pattern that offers a bit of green in the colors. Some folks will go so far as to wear different patterns, pants with more earth tones, shirts having green tones. Guns/chokes. Killed many spring turkeys with 12 ga. 2 3/4" load of high brass 6's. But I do like Win turkey loads # 5 in my Rem. 12 ga. 3 1/2" super mag. I use a super full chock tube. Pick a load and pattern it in your gun. Get him close, aim for his head and neck and you can kill him with a 4- 10 ga.
You can kill plenty of turkeys with a good box call learning only the yelp and the cluck. It's all about the rythem, no two turkey sound alike and they too make mistakes. I like "the freak" in a "slate call" partly because of the sound, partly because I can strap it onto my leg and use one hand. I guess the bottem line. all calls can sound good to a turkey, if you learn how to use them, any camo pattern will work and one well placed shot, will kill a turkey. You will be buying... turkey seats, turkey loads, turkey guns, turkey calls.... why... because you are going turkey hunting....sound about right...you are a duck hunter, right? Enjoy the journey :wink:
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby mches67 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:30 pm

A must have is a good turkey seat. I've spent many turkey seasons sitting on the ground with my back up against a tree. It doesn't take long for your legs to go numb and your butt to start hurting. I just bought a new turkey seat called The Air Saddle. This thing is great. You're sitting on a cushion of air. It fits in your pocket and you just inflate when your ready to use it. It has a strap so you can actually walk around with it on.

I found it at www.racknfeathers.com There's also www.myairsaddle.com

http://www.racknfeathers.com/brands/airsaddle.aspx
mches67
Newb

Postby cut_un » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:07 pm

I do agree about being comfortable. Sometimes it takes a while to work the bird in, your legs can go numb and you will start to fidget, a comfortable hunter is a still hunter :wink:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby Ducks4Life14 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:32 am

Thank you so much guys! Nice to know there's help :thumbsup: . I just got the cabelas turkey 2009 issue today and vest/seat wise I am loving the idea of getting this vest.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Can't beat that price!
Ducks4Life14
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:00 am

To be honest, you can spend as much or as little on this sport as you want. My first turkey hunt, I went out in cam with a shotgun. No turkey vest, no seat, none of that. Just camo, shotgun, and a box call.

I'm still looking for a nice vest, but now I have decoys, a ground blind so I can take the wife, box call, mouth calls, etc. But you don't need that to kill a turkey.

If you can, like someone else mentioned, start patterning turkey's now. You would be amazed how they get stuck in a routine much like deer do. If you can, start putting them to bed and figure out where they are roosting. If they are roosting on private property you don't have access to, figure out where they are coming onto your land at.

Secondly, get some patience ready. I like turkey hunting much more than deer hunting, but like deer hunting, patience goes a long way. If you plan to take kids, this is where a ground blind is handy. You have to sit pretty still when leaned up against a tree and a ground blind is a handy thing to have.

Again, you can make this as cheap or as expensive as you like. I would just find a call at bass pro you are comfortable with, I like box calls, and then go out and have fun. You can buy vests, decoys, seats, etc, but you don't necessarily need that to kill a turkey.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:30 pm

So you want to get into turkey hunting! Just think of about this,"Addiction",because that is what is going to happen too you,buying calls,just like duck or goose hunting,you can buy hundreds until you find the ones you like,not what we like,cause we will have different likes than you,chokes,I use a XXXFull by Comp-n-choke,and it is in my mossgerg 835 ulti mag,Slate and pot calls,I have ten or twelve,only use two,box calls where do you begin,with a box call,they are the easiest to learn with,so now find one that fits your budget,vests,we all have or own preference,I have the limbhanger,and have three others from past years,I like how this one is set up,because my favorite calls are readily accessable in this style vest,sitting,standing or walking!
What I am saying is all the options out there these days it is all what you want too spend,and you need to find what you are able to get ahold of locally,and learn how to make all the sounds a turkey makes!Buy a few instructional videos,and cd's that you can listen too in the car,cause if you are married practicing in the house is going to drive your wife crazy!If you live alone go hard with the practicing,and like everyone else on here is saying,scouting is really important and knowing where your birds are roosting at night,very important! As spring gets closer you want to back away from the scouting,you don't want to disturb the birds,cause you will possibly push the birds out of that area! It is like anything you are going to hunt,gotta do the home work,you want to be inbetween the roosts and where the tom wants to be strutting and gobbling in the morning!So when you do make those sweet little calls he starts coming faster,and then when he sees your decoy he really commits! Good Luck with the Addiction!!! :biggrin:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Ducks4Life14 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:25 pm

Thank you guys! I patterned my Mossberg 500 yesterday with a H.S strut under taker choke tube and it patterns fantastically. I don't have pictures but After having printed out some turkey head targets off remingtons website I fired the gun 3 times with each of the 3 loads I chose (Just like with waterfowling). I used Fiocchi Turkey Thunder, Remington Nitro Turkey, and the more expensive Hevi-13 all in 5 shot. Out of my gun the Remington Nitro and the Hevi-13 took the gold in a tie, but the turkey thunder left to many open patches. All and all with the 3 inch 5 shot I think I will be ready, I decided because of both it's popularity and because of it's high density to use the Hevi-13. Also I trimmed the skirt on my turkey call today and now I'm more comfortable with it then ever. What is a good box call?
Ducks4Life14
hunter

Postby cut_un » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:13 pm

You are off and running :thumbsup: Perfection Calls makes a good box call, Dad's Custon Calls too. Lynch's World Champion Box call has been around forever and trust me, many a turkey has met his maker because of that one box call :hammer: :hammer:

Team Chasin' Feathers
cut_un
hunter

Postby duckin-A » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:06 am

Bucklick Creek Turkey lounger vest !!
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter