Decoy

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Decoy

Postby goosecaller » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:50 pm

I am a new Turkey hunter and I was wondering about decoys. So I don't buy a bunch in order to get one I like, which decoy or set of decoys would you buy if you had to use one. Thanks.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:41 pm

B-Mobile and She-mobile!Have had amazing results with these decoys!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby JoeyO » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Right now as we speak I am clicking purchase on a carry light boy & girl set.. great asset. I also like to carry a jake, get them gobblers pissed off.

get em quick, on sale at cabellas for the set 79 bucks.
United States Air Force
A Veteran: Someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including my life."
JoeyO
hunter

Postby trueoutdoorsman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:33 am

Dave Smith Decoys makes the most realistic hen decoy out there. It is a little pricy but is very durable and looks absolutely amazing!
DHC Sponsoring Outfitter
www.jnaoutfitters.com
Snow goose and Turkey hunting outfitters
trueoutdoorsman
DHC Sponsor

Postby SeaArkDude » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:24 am

Heck yeah, DSD decoy all the way. You cant beat the realism unless you buy a hazzle creek, but those are far too expensive. I paid 120.00 for mine last year and everyone is amazed at the detail.
Hook, Line, SeaArk
SeaArkDude
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:30 pm

this is my favorite decoy but he is in retirement now that I bought a B-Mobile
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby fowlhunter » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:32 pm

pete/pmr wrote:B-Mobile and She-mobile!Have had amazing results with these decoys!

All the way :thumbsup:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby jrode237 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:31 pm

Haven't actually used one but from the pictures I gotta say the Dave Smith Decoys look Amazing! If I could afford it that's defenitely the route I'd take. That being said, I use the Pretty Boy and Pretty Girl but they could use a bit of an "aftermarket" paint job.
jrode237
hunter

Re: Decoy

Postby dmznimrod » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:07 am

i can't even remember the names the dekes i use they are so old. i have 3 hens and 2 jakes left that are in working order.(2 are my belated dads)i like to put 2 hens and a jake in on area of the field 5-10 yards away and then i put 1 hen at 15- 20 yards away like it is following behind the main group. :grooving:
DMZNIMROD
dmznimrod
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:16 pm

You being a beginner turkey hunter you probably wouldnt want to fork out $120.00 on a single turkey decoy but like the other guys said . . . The Dave Smith hen is the absolute best lookin one out there! :thumbsup:

But on the lighter less expensive side the B-moblie and she mobile are awsome. They also have out a jake - mobile now.
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:58 am

If you want to use them fine, but you dont need them. Ive shot 40+ turkeys all over the country. Out of all those birds I have had 3 were I think decoys made a difference. Just somethng extra to carry.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby cjg » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:24 am

phutch30 wrote:If you want to use them fine, but you dont need them. Ive shot 40+ turkeys all over the country. Out of all those birds I have had 3 were I think decoys made a difference. Just somethng extra to carry.

I'll agree with that. Maybe if you're using a bow they would help. I've had birds lock up and not come any closer once they saw the decoys. Better off to keep them looking for what was calling. JMHO
cjg
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:48 pm

I cant count how many birds have come in and walked right past decoys and never broke stride. When they do work its cool though.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 am

Unless you hunt open field, I don't think a decoy even matters, they usually don't even spot the dec in the woods until its too late. I think you'll loose more turkeys because you're f'ing around with the decoy than you'll get. You also have to lug the darn thing. I'd say get a few extra calls with the $ and stay light, mobile, and safe without the dec.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:41 pm

I use delta decoys and only use them when i feild hunt. Seems by the time a bird sees the decoy in the woods its time for me to shoot. They are a great tool though and draw birds in open areas from far off distances. Ive only ever hunted over the original feather flex decoys and delta decoys, so i dont have any opinions on the others. Ill say this, ive havent had em shy away from them. Been hard to justify the money for the B-Mobile, Pretty Boy etc...when ive had great sucsess with a $16.99-$19.99 decoy.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:08 pm

I completly agree on the fumbling around part. Ive watch hunting buddies running around trying to get dekes set while a bird was gobbling comming in. LOL I figure if I set up right by the time the bird thinks he should be seeing a hen hes already come too close.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:15 pm

My son hunted with an outfitter this weekend for opening of youth season. The outfitter used his brand new Dave Smith Decoy hen. We had about 20 hens and 5 gobblers come in to the decoy. About 3 different hens flogged the DSD hen decoy. It was wild! I've seen gobblers flog jake or full strut decoys but never hens flogging a hen decoy. Hats off to DSD !!! :bow:
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum