Montana turkey hunters

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Montana turkey hunters

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Goin to Montana for turkey hunting this spring. Have private land around absorkee and rapelje. lookin for some info or tips on the best time to go and hunting tactics. never shot a merriam before, very excited.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 am

You lucky arse :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That is my dream hunt!
Man I wish you all the luck in the world. Take LOTS of pics and post pics!!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:22 am

Thats a pretty good area. Ive shot a few over there. Watch the weather in the spring. The opener usually comes with a big snow storm at least every other year. 2 years ago we got 2 feet. Best time to go is usually end of the 2nd into the 3rd week of the season. Spring weather is usually here by then and most of the hens are either sitting or leave early to lay an egg. Dont be afraid to get aggressive with a merriams they are stupid compared to an eastern (I grew up hunting easterns).
phutch30
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:36 pm

Will probally be 2nd week of may before i can go. Skippin out on the offshore fishin in florida this year, so i have to wait til my dad gets back from that so he can watch my dogs. Third week of april goin to a friends 12,000 acre ranch in southwest kansas to shoot our rios, they are stupid also. Season hasnt even started and im already trying to find time to go hunting.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:22 am

They really start dispersing all over by the second week in May. A lot of them will be heading into highter country by then. They like ot follow the snow line up. If youve got plenty of private ground down low yo should be ok. Gobbling is tapering off also. Still doable, you just may have to look around a little more to find birds.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum