turkey trouble

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

turkey trouble

Postby jacob1996 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:32 am

having probalems with calling in turkeys last year.
i had 1 in the hills of southern oklahoma that was gobbling at us all the way up the mountain and then it stopped gobblin all 2gether.
dont know what happend.
then had another 1 befor that and it stayed on the outskirts of a field and it just wouldnt come in any closer.
need some answeres?
any1?
jacob1996
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:51 am

jacob96, could you tell if either bird had hens nearby?
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:13 am

So many things may/can be happening...... A turkey knows (exactly) where the call is coming from. Are you using a decoy?. He is expecting to see a hen turkey. If he does not ,he can get nervous. They do hang up ...alot. Are you toning down your calling as he gets closer? For close in work, slates and dios, soft clucks and purrs work wonders.Good Luck friend :wink:

Field hunting can be hard. It can act as a barrier to some turkeys and again, a turkey decoy works wonders in a field set-up.
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:58 pm

When they stop gobbling, and won't answer your calls... it's time to get your gun ready cause he's coming... might take him 5 mins. or 3 hours-especially if he's an old 4 yr. old bird! If he cranks up again and he is way farther away, chances are he had a hen with him. or he is making a round about way to you on top of ridges. One thing to do is pattern him so you know which direction he's headed! Then set-up in front of him.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: turkey trouble

Postby pintail17 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:54 pm

I have found that if a gobbler is calling to you and then stops, the best thing you can do is "shut up". Get the game back in your court. What I mean by that is let him call next. Maybe two or three times before you respond back. Then take control of the situation again by leading the calls. If that doesn't work, make sure he gets out of site and relocate your position to head him off and try again. I also recommend carrying a couple differnt type calls and throw something different at him in your new location. Good luck and be safe.
pintail17
hunter

Postby duxrus » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:40 am

Most people panic when a bird gets quiet then instead of sitting tight and waiting on the next gobble, start over calling. This usually does not end well. In most situations, less calling, is your best bet. Like already stated, most turkeys won't just come in runnning and gobbling every step like the videos show. It does happen but rarely.

If one is gobbling and getting closer, then shuts up....my gun is up and ready for go time. They love getting sneaky about the 75 yard mark and using a flanking manuver. One getting quiet at close distance means you need to go into sensory overdrive. Listen for foot steps, drumming, and scanning for the big ol' white forehead etc...

Once I get an answer and a gobbler is definitely coming my way I shut up except for some soft clucks and purrs. He knows where I am so why call more just to be calling....then wait begings. Alot of times they can't stand the thought a hen might have decided to go else where for love.

Field turkeys are the hardest IMO. A pretty boy or a few hen decoys might change your outcome but you never know. I will take on a turkey anyday in the woods compared to a wide open field bird.
duxrus
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:21 am

jacob1996 wrote:having probalems with calling in turkeys last year.
i had 1 in the hills of southern oklahoma that was gobbling at us all the way up the mountain and then it stopped gobblin all 2gether.
dont know what happend.
then had another 1 befor that and it stayed on the outskirts of a field and it just wouldnt come in any closer.
need some answeres?
any1?

You could have had MANY different things happen on the hill gobbling bird. I would guess one or two things....
1. Over calling- if you continued to call to him he could have gotten tired of the game and stopped to wait for you ( the hen ) to come to him. Normaly that`s how it works in real life turkey world.
2. With all of his gobbling-a real hen did come to him

For the field bird...use a jake deoy over that hen.
If you don`t have a decoy in the field, but you have a gobbling turkey in the field or on the other side, turn your head and through the sounds away from the field. This will make him think you are either walking away or that you feeding in the woods and don`t intent to come to the field

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:49 pm

duxrus wrote:Most people panic when a bird gets quiet then instead of sitting tight and waiting on the next gobble, start over calling. This usually does not end well. In most situations, less calling, is your best bet. Like already stated, most turkeys won't just come in runnning and gobbling every step like the videos show. It does happen but rarely.

If one is gobbling and getting closer, then shuts up....my gun is up and ready for go time. They love getting sneaky about the 75 yard mark and using a flanking manuver. One getting quiet at close distance means you need to go into sensory overdrive. Listen for foot steps, drumming, and scanning for the big ol' white forehead etc...

Once I get an answer and a gobbler is definitely coming my way I shut up except for some soft clucks and purrs. He knows where I am so why call more just to be calling....then wait begings. Alot of times they can't stand the thought a hen might have decided to go else where for love.

Field turkeys are the hardest IMO. A pretty boy or a few hen decoys might change your outcome but you never know. I will take on a turkey anyday in the woods compared to a wide open field bird.

What he said :lol:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum