My embarrassing 2008 Opener

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

My embarrassing 2008 Opener

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Last year me and my dad hunted some high mountain terrane in southern NM for Merriams. We pulled into our hunting camp (old motel), unloaded our gear, oiled our shotguns for the 100th time and I pulled out my mouth call, box, and slate, to practice a few calls. I take a lot of pride in my calling so this is where it all goes downhill.

In the middle of my 10 th or 11th fly down cackle (I thought it sounded good), the manager of the motel pounds on the door. I open it to find her distressed and demanding that we pay the 100 dollar "pet deposit" because she heard a dog barking coming from our room!! It took me several minutes of convincing that what she heard was not a dog barking but my turkey call. Of course my dad was on the floor laughing his head off. Again, I take a lot of pride in my calling abilities, and it totally ruined my first day and actually my entire 2008 turkey season as I had to swallow my pride. I am still not over this, I took a nice gobbler on the second week but figured it had to be pure luck after my dog incident. I am still not over this, I may need a shrink.......
NMBlackgold
hunter

Addendum to embarrassing 2008 Opener

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:22 pm

NMBlackgold wrote:Last year me and my dad hunted some high mountain terrane in southern NM for Merriams. We pulled into our hunting camp (old motel), unloaded our gear, oiled our shotguns for the 100th time and I pulled out my mouth call, box, and slate, to practice a few calls. I take a lot of pride in my calling so this is where it all goes downhill.

In the middle of my 10 th or 11th fly down cackle (I thought it sounded good), the manager of the motel pounds on the door. I open it to find her distressed and demanding that we pay the 100 dollar "pet deposit" because she heard a dog barking coming from our room!! It took me several minutes of convincing that what she heard was not a dog barking but my turkey call. Of course my dad was on the floor laughing his head off. Again, I take a lot of pride in my calling abilities, and it totally ruined my first day and actually my entire 2008 turkey season as I had to swallow my pride. I am still not over this, I took a nice gobbler on the second week but figured it had to be pure luck after my dog incident. I am still not over this, I may need a shrink.......

Am I taking this too seriously? do I need a shrink?, medication? Another Hobby (dog calling or other)? Any suggestions?
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:30 pm

maybe the broad just doesn't know what a turkey sounds like? :huh: :huh: :huh:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Yea, don't let non-turkey hunters intimidate you and make you feel like a fool.....you'll get enough of that from the turkeys, trust me on that one!!!! :yes:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby NMBlackgold » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Montanafowler wrote:maybe the broad just doesn't know what a turkey sounds like? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Montana: I ran that through my mind several times, even if she didn't know what a turkey sounds like, she for sure knows what a dog sounds like. :sad:
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:05 pm

sounds can sound different through walls.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby NMBlackgold » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:17 pm

Montanafowler wrote:sounds can sound different through walls.

So as long as I am not calling birds thru a wall I should be in good shape!! :yes:

Feelin better already
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:09 pm

Your good sir. I have had people ask me what the hell was going on out in the shop after I finished blowing a few turkey calls.
I had to go to the shop due to the fact that my Yellow-collared macaw learned how to yelp :thumbsup: But the wife didn`t find it all that funny :huh: :huh:

I take my calling very seriously as well. Look at it this way, you called in a turkey and never left the hotel :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby NMBlackgold » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:15 am

stumpjumper wrote:Your good sir. I have had people ask me what the hell was going on out in the shop after I finished blowing a few turkey calls.
I had to go to the shop due to the fact that my Yellow-collared macaw learned how to yelp :thumbsup: But the wife didn`t find it all that funny :huh: :huh:

I take my calling very seriously as well. Look at it this way, you called in a turkey and never left the hotel :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

STUMP

Thanks Stump for the "pick me up". I don't feel so bad now. I was thinking about just running the ridgelines and slamming the tailgate ever 100 yards or so to get one gobbling instead of calling. Funny about your macaw, does it strut??? :wink: I guess maybe my calling was better than I thought, however, I don't know what the limit is on hotel managers in NM. :smile: Definitely a bearded hen though...
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 pm

Soundin good isn't as important as knowing how to call turkeys. While deer hunting a few years back, i thought i heard my dad calling some turkeys. I told him to throw that call away and that it sounded terrible. He then told me it was real birds walkin under his treestand.Dont worry about it, let the birds tell you if your sounding good.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:49 pm

I think I know somthing I can do to make this all better.......stay at a different motel. :thumbsup:
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby sloughslogger » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Keep doing what you're doing. If you call up birds you're fine. That old bearded hen at the motel probably never heard a real turkey.
sloughslogger
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am

sloughslogger wrote:Keep doing what you're doing. If you call up birds you're fine. That old bearded hen at the motel probably never heard a real turkey.

I needed a good laugh, thanks slough!
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 am

I just got a private messages from a coyote hunter wanting me to tag along.........now thats a heck of a "pick me up". uhgg.....
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Rick618 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:35 am

They don't have turkeys in India??? Strange. :huh:
Rick618
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:45 am

Rick618 wrote:They don't have turkeys in India??? Strange. :huh:

Now thats what i needed, the coyote hunters and the "out of state" motel managers can all go..................home?

Thanks Rick618.
NMBlackgold
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum