My first opportunity to spring turkey hunt.

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

My first opportunity to spring turkey hunt.

Postby CCducker » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:18 pm

I have never had the opportunity to spring turkey hunt.

I am going to poke around online a bit later to find out soem more details, But I figure I would ask you guys for any suggestions you may have?

Thanks, CC
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Re: My first opportunity to spring turkey hunt.

Postby matchbook454 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm hooked on turkey hunting and can say that a good instructional CD will help a lot with your calling. I'd recommend a Pot style call for a beginner not only because they are the easiest to use, but I think they sound the best as well. I like H.S. and Primos calls. They sound good and are not too expensive. Box calls are good as well but a little more difficult to use and then comes mouth calls. It took me a long time to get the hang of it and I know quite a few guys that can't. I would not recommend using a mouth call unless you really know what you're doing since a bad note can send a Tom running the other way. This happened to a friend of mine last season even though I told him that he should put his mouth calls away and stick with a slate call that he was pretty good with.

I'd also recommend hunting out of a ground blind. You can get away with a lot more movement. These birds have great eyesight! Also, my friends and I have been much more successful by scouting and sitting in the right spots vs. running and gunning. I just bought a Double Bull but there are quite a few less expensive blinds on the market. If you don't want to spend the money you can use camo material and a few steel rods or just use brush and natural vegitation.

I'm not sure how much tags are in TX but I think that you can buy them over the counter. Get a couple calls, a CD, and a couple decoys and give it a try. There's nothing like hearing a big Tom gobble his head off from 20 yards away! You'll be hooked!
matchbook454
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:31 pm

CC are you going with a friend? If you're going with someone that knows the ropes, I would just take your gun. Also, in Texas, as long as you're hunting Rio's, its legal to shoot them with rifles(easterns are shotgun only), so if there are two of you, have one go with a shotgun and the other with a rifle. Shotguns are great for shooting through a little brush at close ranges, and rifles are great if you get caught taking a long shot.

I like using box calls, as a rule, friction calls are easier to learn but more expensive. If you are going with a friend that knows the ropes, let them call. If you are not going with a friend, you need to start practicing now.

You don't necessarily need a blind but they do help. All you really need is your camo( including a face mask) and the ability to sit still as death. Prepare to be frustrated, amazed, and excited all within seconds. Also, prepare to eat one of the tastiest game birds out there, way better than duck.

If you do get some gobblers working for you, you will be hooked. Nothing like watching Mr. Tom strut to you. Also, just b/c it has a beard doesn't mean its a tom, as there are bearded hens. Just make sure its got a red head, beard, and spurs.

matchbook, in Texas you get 4 turkey tags for the year with your hunting license, you don't have to buy tags for every season.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:26 am

Sweet and simple

1 Find an experience turkey hunter and follow him everywhere
2 pattern you gun!!!!! and use front and rear sight to allow you to adjust windage and elevation
3 Learn the basic yelp on either a box call or a push button call
4 Have PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cover the basics and take the next step. Kinda like duck hunting ( decoys, gun, calls )

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:27 am

stumpjumper wrote:4 Have PATIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And when you're ready to move, sit still a bit longer! Too many times I second-guessed myself, only to jump an incoming Tom when I was ready to move. This point can't be stressed enough. Now I'm pretty much committed on sitting there until they come to me. I save running and gunning for the later seasons!

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby magogwhacker » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:44 pm

Keep moving till you locate a tom, never call until you find one, then find the best possible spot for him to come to, call, and sit tight. Be patient like all these other guys said, but only once you've called. Cover a lot of country and find a bird before you commit to sitting. You'll get em
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum