Turkey - sight or scope?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Turkey - sight or scope?

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm

I have a new 870 and am taking it turkey hunting. What is best for turkey -- the high visibility open sights, red dot sight or a shotgun scope? Recommendations please. Thanks!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Re: Turkey - sight or scope?

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:43 pm

For me it`s sight all the way. I highly recommend..Williams Fire Sight. They are made of metal are fully adjustable for windage and elevation and the fiber optics are not HUGH so at 40 yards they don`t cover up the whole bird. They are perfect so you can aim properly.
In the turky woods your gun is going to take a beating and a scope to me just won`t hold up to that. I`ve had to many guys tell me they bumped their scopes, lens fogged up or they couldn`t get lined up to get a good sight picture.
When turkey hunting KISS-keep it simple stupid works best

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:37 pm

I just got a red dot scope for my new turkey gun this winter. As of right now i love it, its got 11 different brightness settings on it and its easy to sight in. Two more weeks and I will have it in the turkey woods to test it out . . .
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby dmznimrod » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:42 pm

i have a muellers reflex scope which has a life time warranty on my sbell. behind the black rubber protective piece is the flat scope which has 4 different sight pictures and 11 light settings. :grooving:
Attachments
SBE II WITH REFLEX SCOPE 002.JPG
DMZNIMROD
dmznimrod
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:37 pm

Thanks guys. Those are great suggestions.
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:07 pm

stumpjumper wrote:For me it`s sight all the way. I highly recommend..Williams Fire Sight. They are made of metal are fully adjustable for windage and elevation and the fiber optics are not HUGH so at 40 yards they don`t cover up the whole bird. They are perfect so you can aim properly.
In the turky woods your gun is going to take a beating and a scope to me just won`t hold up to that. I`ve had to many guys tell me they bumped their scopes, lens fogged up or they couldn`t get lined up to get a good sight picture.
When turkey hunting KISS-keep it simple stupid works best

STUMP

:ditto:

Either that or have a gunsmith replace the front bead with a small 1/32" brass bead...this will fully cover a gobblers head at 50 yards. "Aim small miss small." The "red dot" scopes suck for turkey hunting! I've seen more than one hunter miss a bird with that scope and not be able to get a follow-up shot! If you use a factory bead that come with most guns...at 40-45 yards, you could be 18" left or right and not know it! Same with the tru-glo...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dmznimrod » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:45 am

Either that or have a gunsmith replace the front bead with a small 1/32" brass bead...this will fully cover a gobblers head at 50 yards. "Aim small miss small." The "red dot" scopes suck for turkey hunting! I've seen more than one hunter miss a bird with that scope and not be able to get a follow-up shot! If you use a factory bead that come with most guns...at 40-45 yards, you could be 18" left or right and not know it! Same with the tru-glo...[/quote]

that scope is a reflex number 1, not a red dot number 2 . that reflex came off my pse thunderbolt lightning and has helped kill many a deer. as far as for seeing people miss people miss with all types of sights / scopes. greenhorns do this alot due to lack of experience about nerve control/breathing control etc. now as far as just plain flat out missing i would say that a major amount of that is due to NOT PATTERNING YOUR WEAPON PERIOD! it's not the weapons fault it's the users fault for missing, as long as that weapon goes BANG IT DID ITS JOB. :thumbsup:
DMZNIMROD
dmznimrod
hunter

Postby Maineduckhunter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:13 am

I personally like a red dot myself. Once you get it dialed in, and use it, I think you'll appreciate it's capabilities. For instance, if you aren't able to sight down your stock, say a bird is presenting itself in an awkward position, and you need to take an off hand shot, all you need to do is make certain that the "dot" is pointed at the bird and pull the trigger. I've used them for years, and I won't go back to using anything else. Good luck with your decision.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby show_me_the_jewels » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:12 pm

I use the B-square scope and mount combo. I can use it to look at the spurs when a bird is coming in. I bet the bead shooters cant do that. I dont want to hear any grief because it makes for much more exciting hunt when you can pick and choose the birds. ..................Any body can kill a two year hot head but it takes a seasoned hunter to outsmart a limbhanger.
show_me_the_jewels
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:47 pm

I K.I.S.S. I shoot my Benelli how she came from the factory. My gun with the Primos Jelly Head XFull choke likes 3 1/2" #6 Winchester Supreme Double X turkey loads. I have never had an issue killing birds. Ive shot em out to 50 yds no problem...So, no scope or sights for me, just dont see the need...I just change the choke and tote the same gun come quacker season.
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I ended up buying a "Truglo Magnum Gobble-Dot Pro Series" fiber optic sight ($50 at Bass Pro) for my son's 20 gauge. It has elevation and windage adjustments. I thought that it just looked the easiest for him to line up with less chances of getting knocked off kilter in the woods. It worked great. He dropped his first gobbler about 20 minutes after sun-up on Saturday. I'll throw in a big :thumbsup: to HeviShot also. The gobbler got spooked and was moving off quickly when we decided it was now or never to shoot. We stepped it off at 43 yards. Pretty awesome for a 20 gauge! HeviShot #4 closed the deal! :clapping:
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:14 pm

Now thats awesome...Be sure to post some pics!...Congratulations to you and your son. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:52 pm

Super Dave 32 wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. I ended up buying a "Truglo Magnum Gobble-Dot Pro Series" fiber optic sight ($50 at Bass Pro) for my son's 20 gauge. It has elevation and windage adjustments. I thought that it just looked the easiest for him to line up with less chances of getting knocked off kilter in the woods. It worked great. He dropped his first gobbler about 20 minutes after sun-up on Saturday. I'll throw in a big :thumbsup: to HeviShot also. The gobbler got spooked and was moving off quickly when we decided it was now or never to shoot. We stepped it off at 43 yards. Pretty awesome for a 20 gauge! HeviShot #4 closed the deal! :clapping:

Congratulations sir :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And yes that hevi shot IS the ticket. Daughter and nefhew shot a 20 gauge with #6 shot all day long

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MS2XX » Fri May 31, 2013 12:39 pm

Sights or scopes....that is the question !! When do you get your best chance to harvest a bird ? Usually not long after they fly down and there is still not much daylight. Many years ago I put a nice scope on a BPS and missed two birds in a row because I couldn't see the bird in the low light conditions. Back to open colored fibre (green or orange) sights and harvesting birds. I just bought a Mossberg Turkey Thug and will try a reflex sight of good quality but I'm not all that enthused about it but will have to wait till next year to try it. Stay tuned (Wish someone made an elevated picatinny rail that you could use the orignal sights and still mount a red Dot or reflex over it!!?) :fingerhead: DM
MS2XX
MS2XX
hunter

Postby g_maxson » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:45 am

I have a Bushnell Red/Green dot on one gun and an Eotech on the other.

Love both. Even with quite a difference in price, I believe they are on equal footing with turkey killing.

Of the issues mentioned:

Hitting birds on the run: I haven't seen an issue. Took one out the other year after my buddy popped one, they started to run, threw the gun up and killed another. With the eotech you get a great FOV.

Not being able to see: with the red/green dot, I just set it to green in low light and your good to go. Have killed birds off the roost without issue. The Eotech you don't have the option of green, so I just dial it down. I believe your best killing is around noon anyway.

There are a couple things I like about red dots:

1) The circle is a great thing to judge bird distance with.
2) You don't need to have your head on the stock. If the dot is on the bird it's a done deal, so gives you more range of motion.
3) With the tight patterns some hunters are getting now day's, a red dot removes a lot of risk of missing.
4) Like them over a scope due to quick target acquisition. I'd much rather be able to have my head up watching a bird, enjoying the moment and then easily get the dot on them to close the deal over having to be "in the gun" and watching through a scope.
5) Turkey hunting can be as simple as you want, but on the other end there is no where near the number of fun gadgets that you can get for dear hunting, fishing, duck hunting etc... You basically have a few tweaks to your gun, a few decoy options and calls, so why not indulge on a red dot vs beads.
g_maxson
hunter

Postby MS2XX » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Great reply and I agree with all you say but I have no experiance with the EOtech. Here in New England we seem to get the most shots at flydown birds and seldom, in my 25 years of hunting them, have I got a bird after 9 or 10 AM. I have a reflex red/green dot sight on order and will let you know what I think after I pattern it. THX; D. Mac :thumbsup:
MS2XX
MS2XX
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 am

i personally just use the bead sight on my benelli. Thats because i use one gun for pretty much anything. All sights will work, but if i had to make a special turkey hunting gun it would have a red dot.
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby Bernie P. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:45 am

I've used a bead and FO sights.Both worked fine but I recently got a red dot.I've used it with excellent results on coyotes and such.I'M sure it will work just fine on turkeys come May.
Bernie P.
hunter

Postby waterswater96 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:01 pm

I've used a red dot scope the last 9 years and ihvae never had an issue. Since the dot is so small you can really neck down on your bird and can seem his whole head from 10 yards to 60 yards. They are very easy to sight in and dependable. Make sure you check the scope before you leave for the turkey woods. Don't want to end up with a dead battery when you show up in the morning. Good luck this season
Hilljacks at there finest.
Too many birds not enough shells.
waterswater96
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum