Does Scouting Scare the Birds?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Does Scouting Scare the Birds?

Postby Average Joe » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:48 pm

Went to check on a couple of spots today and I spooked a few birds and it got me thinking will this change their daily routine or make them move on? I don't go but once a week but I would hate to push the birds off a spot I found before the season even begins. Any help/advice would be nice. Thanks in advance. 3 More weeks for here in NC. :biggrin:
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
Average Joe
hunter

Re: Does Scouting Scare the Birds?

Postby Maineduckhunter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:39 am

I don't think so. Heavy hunting pressure would more than likely alter their routine, not so much as to what you did.
Maineduckhunter
hunter

Postby show_me_the_jewels » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:15 pm

About scouting during the day. I cant speak for you but in MO our season ends at 1:00pm so day scouting is not very dependable. It is useless to scout an area if the turkeys are visiting the location after legal hunting hours. The best way to scout a turkey is listen for the flyups and flydowns. This will for sure be your best bet.
show_me_the_jewels
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:50 pm

With only bumping them once a week you should be ok. This time of year I am very careful in the turkey woods. I normaly listen for gobbles on the roost in the morning and at evening time. If I am going to move about the property I go SLOW. I listen for the birds ruffling the leaves or out in fields. I do everything I can not to bump any birds. But it will happen. Try to limit your movement as much as possible when out scouting. And by no means take a turkey call with you and run it!!!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby magogwhacker » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am

Scouting definitely does not scare turkeys. Getting CAUGHT while scouting scares turkeys.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:03 pm

It all depends on your approach. If your in there everyday spooking them, then theyll definitely change thier habits. Turkeys are creatures of habit and patterning that habit is the key to succsess. So, tread lightly and you should be fine. Make the most of your scouting trips when you do head in the woods looking for strut zones, dusting bowls, feeding areas etc...The less impact you have the better off youll be. Where i hunt there is allot of agricultural land, so i do a bunch of my scouting with binos from a distance. Note the time, number of birds, where they enter the field, where they go when theyre done as well as the time. To find the roost, go real early and real late. Youll be able to slip in, listen to them gobblingly and cackling without spooking them. Use your owl call. I also use a coyote howler to locate birds in the evening, but i use it sparingly and only in the late eveing. Its a more natural sound coming that time of day...Very effective.
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Average Joe » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Thanks for all the information, it’s much appreciated. I'm hunting pretty dense woods with trails and small food plots so glassing is not really an option. I've always been interested in trying locator calls but never put much research into them. How difficult are they and what recommendations would you all have to offer. Thanks Again. 2 More weeks can't wait :grooving:
a bad day hunting beats a good day at work everytime
Average Joe
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:38 pm

I have a variety of locator calls. Crow, Owl, Coyote, Wood Pecker, Peacock. Other options are sandhill cranes and I hear a goose call is anothter great option, never tried one myself though....God knows i got a few of those. :lol3: ....As far as their difficulty, theyre like any other call, you just need a little practice to get it down....that said, the basic turkey locators like the crow and owl are very easily learned.

Good luck to you, i hope you bad that big ole long beard.
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:56 pm

A-Bomb wrote:I have a variety of locator calls. Crow, Owl, Coyote, Wood Pecker, Peacock. Other options are sandhill cranes and I hear a goose call is anothter great option, never tried one myself though....God knows i got a few of those. :lol3: ....As far as their difficulty, theyre like any other call, you just need a little practice to get it down....that said, the basic turkey locators like the crow and owl are very easily learned.

Good luck to you, i hope you bad that big ole long beard.

A-bomb covered it pretty well. As far as a goose call as a locator cal....works great!!!!! Give that a try
Best thing to do is listen in the morning for birds on the roost. Then try to find where they go from there. On opening day, be where they want to go and your set. Not a closed deal BUT 50% is covered

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:52 am

Spot on Stump.....If your where they want to go, then you have definitely turned the odds in your favor. Its allot easier to call them to you if they already want to go that way. :hammer:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby DKA » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:20 pm

I have not scared any, becaus, have not had a chance to go scouting, but will be ready the 11th.
Turn Adversity Into Advantage

NC Hunter Safety Instructor
NC Conceal Carry Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
DKA
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum