How many turkeys???

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

How many turkeys???

Postby meatwagon8 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Just wondering how many turkeys the average hunter kills in a year. I am talking about spring and fall season combined and out of state trips.
SEASON TOTALS ARE FOR THE CHILDREN!!!
meatwagon8
hunter

Re: How many turkeys???

Postby tripleCBoykins » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:28 pm

I've averaged 5 a year for the past 12 years!
Hunt with Boykins
tripleCBoykins
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:32 pm

I get one a year, and it comes in the spring.(Limit 1)....I normally dont hunt the fall hunt(limit 1 as well) because im waterfowl hunting heavily that time of year. And when im not, im trying to kill a deer or pheasant.
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:19 pm

Depends on how many states I hunt. We can shoot 2 here in MT, but can buy a couple tags on an indian reservation. This year I am going back to FL for a couple more osceolas.
My best year was in 1995(year I got out of the marines) I took 14. I was stationed in Jacksonville NC and got out of the military in late Feb, just in time for spring turkey season. The season opened in mid March. I shot 2 birds on the camp lejuene on opening weekend, then went to MS and shot a bird. Then turned around and hunted the lowlands of SC and shot a pair. Moved north into VA and filled both my tags around blacksburge. Crossed the border into hoopieville WV and tagged 2. Then hunted north east PA around the town of Strucka and shot a bird. Moved over into NY and shot one. Stopped in VT for 2 birds. I then headed home to NH and got a bird. Wish I had that kind of freedom now.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby meatwagon8 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:39 pm

Only 3 people on this site turkey hunt??? Well from you three I got a 5, a 1, and a 14. Guess the average turkey hunter kills 6.6 turkeys a year. Thats pretty cool.
meatwagon8
hunter

Postby rook » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:52 pm

14.....WOW. We have a 4 per year limit (combined between the two seasons) I only hunt in the Sring, our fall season is only in a couple of counties. I havent been turkey hunting for 20 years like some but 3 was the best I have done in a year and that was last year, got one Eastern from here in AL and two Rio's out in Texas. This year I have one under my belt and hope to be able to kill atleast one more by the end of season. I would have to kill one a hunt to kill 14 in a year, that will never happen down here with the pressure our birds get. Lord knows I dont have the money to go out of state this year to be able to kill more than my Al limit.
rook
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:39 pm

usually take 2 or 1 per season. Limit in LA is 2 per year. Gobblers only, and no fall season
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby duxrus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Usually 6-8 depending on # of out of state trips .....best season was 9 gobblers. I only hunt spring seasons.
duxrus
hunter

Postby meatwagon8 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:21 pm

Looks like it can be anywhere from 1 to ???????? I average 7 to 8 a year.

Last year I set my personal best when I killed the Grand Slam. 15 birds and it was a blast.

KY......4 birds(2 in the spring and 2 in the fall)
TN.....3 birds (spring)
FL......2 birds (spring)
TX......4 birds (spring)
SD......2 birds (spring)

Allready 2 birds on the ground this year from FL and leave for TX in the morning. Hopefully have 4 more when I get home!!!!!
meatwagon8
hunter

Postby Silverwidgeon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:27 pm

I'm pretty new to the whole turkey deal, I've killed 3 birds total outta 3 years hunting. First year I got a fall bird then a gobbler in the spring. The second year brought around nothing, could not make it out for the first two weeks. This past week-end brought me my second spring gobbler which was pretty cool. I'm hoping for another one this spring but the public land that holds turkeys gets hit pretty hard.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:57 pm

I shoot 1 eastern and 1 rio every year, there is a 2 bird limit here in Kansas in the spring. Occasionally i will shoot one in the fall, normally too busy pheasant or waterfowl hunting. Its always nice when i see some while pheasant hunting. and shoot both in the same day.
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Best years was 18, not counting 24 I shot in New Zealand as my sons say they don't count. I'm retired so I can travel alot. I've killed 3 in Tennessee so far and 4 in Texas this past weekend, so i'm off to a good start. Still have trips to Oklahoma, Iowa, Missouri, Kentucky and Mexico ahead of me plus my home state of Mississippi and accross the line in Tennessee. I've killed 3 World Slams and like hunting Gould's as much as any. It gets in your blood. Have 18-20 mounted so I can live the memories.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby allnighter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 pm

meatwagon Im jealous I have been wanting to do that, but have to much school. One day I am going after the slam though.
allnighter
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum