hunting in the rain

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

hunting in the rain

Postby fowlhunter » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:47 am

The weather has been crazier than all get out this year, and I'm heading out thursday and they say it's going to rain. I'm sure the wind will be blowing considering that the wind has been 20 to 30 mph for the last 2 weeks. Do you guys have any suggestions about how I should go about this? Staying home isnt an option.
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Re: hunting in the rain

Postby magogwhacker » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:56 am

Sit still more, or you'll end up spooking birds. I've had great luck in rain or snow storms with lots of wind. I think the hens have less interest in toms then....making the toms have more interest in your calls. The challenge is to find a tom without spooking him. Gobbles don't carry very far in the wind. If you are going to move around, move and call into the wind, gives you a better chance of hearing his response.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby Kurt Lehman » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:32 pm

My buddies would rather hunt in the rain than not they have a very good record of working Gobblers right in to there laps when it's raining they do well even in heavy rain! so go with full confidence it may be your day!

Kurt
Kurt Lehman
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:15 am

If your hunting in the rain, then hit the open areas. Turkeys seem to move to them when its raining out. Ive heard allot of different theories on why. Bugs, added security, etc...Whatever the case, they go to these areas, and so should you.

As far as windy days, thats a bit of a toss up IMO. Ive seen plenty of birds keep to their routine and head out into the wide open abyss with a huricane force wind.(crazy story-Had my pop up blind in my field set up get blown acrossed the field and flush the bird right to me. :lol: ) But, ive also seen where they tucked back into the woods or moved to the opposite side of a wood lot from the wind. Often times, at least where i hunt, there will be a field or something on the down wind side that theyll go to. Makes it easier for them to hear, which helps them locate others as well as added security. Plus, im sure its just allot more pleasant for them.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby RNT_MAN » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:07 am

I agree with A-Bomb. Hit the open areas such as fields or even small clearings in the woods. Many times you will catch the gobblers strutting in the open areas in the rain but it will pose a challenge to get them to come toward the edge of the woods.
"Blow blow cold north wind, blow those mallard greenheads in.."
"Kill counts are for snipers and fighter pilots, not duck hunters."
RNT_MAN
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum