Late season Gobblers tactics

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Late season Gobblers tactics

Postby BB12 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Hi I live here in southern utah and I need some advice on hunting late season gobblers, my hunt sarts on may 4. I drew this hunt last year and i had troubles gettn the birds to come close to my calls. they would circle me for bout 15 minutes staying bout 100 yards out and then they would loose interest. You guys know of any tips or tactics I could use so this doesnt happen to me this year. thanks
BB12
hunter

Re: Late season Gobblers tactics

Postby slaughter_fest » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:42 pm

after they "hang-up" out of range one thing i do and it always seems to work is through a gobble at them its always worked for me :smile:
slaughter_fest
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:00 pm

move up to where they were if you can and try to call them back...if they come - they shouldn't hang-up then.....
or if they are gobbling-or if you can make them gobble, try to circle around and get in front of 'em...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Silverwidgeon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Turkey charge. Honestly I'm pretty new to turkey hunting, I've only shot three, so my advice must be taken with a grain of salt. But of those three Turkeys. One was called in, One marched right over me with a bunch of buddies as I waited on his daily path. The other would not come down off of his hill, so I stalked him, then I charged him.
Many do not share my love for this sort hunting, but it takes great stealth and expert use of terrain to get close enough to pop a turkey or any other game animal for that matter.
"At times like these it's best to remember that there have always been times like these."
Silverwidgeon
hunter

Postby allnighter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Silverwidgeon wrote:Turkey charge. Honestly I'm pretty new to turkey hunting, I've only shot three, so my advice must be taken with a grain of salt. But of those three Turkeys. One was called in, One marched right over me with a bunch of buddies as I waited on his daily path. The other would not come down off of his hill, so I stalked him, then I charged him.

Hi ho silver :lol3: don't feel bad the first turkey I ever shot while turkey hunting I shot like a big quail when I spooked it as I was walking by. It had a 11'' beard and 1 1/8''spurs which I thought was small at the time.
allnighter
hunter

Postby cjg » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:53 pm

Turkeys may be different here in Maine, but usually when they hang up on me, it's because they already have a hen with them, see something they don't like, have a natural obstruction in the way like a brook or old stone wall or a fence, or have had a bad expirience where you are and don't want to go there again. Can you see them when they hang up? Some times if they already have a hen it's just a waiting game, eventually she will get rid of them and if you haven't spooked him he may come looking for you, if you have been calling to him. I usually just try to find another bird. Sometimes you can try and "cut them off at the pass" if they are circling on you. Sometimes (usually) less is more when calling. Are you using decoys? I've had them coming good then lock up when they see the decoys. The way it should work for them is the hen goes to the Tom, that's what all the gobbling and strutting are about.
cjg
hunter

Postby BB12 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:58 am

Well this is what happened to me last year. opening day there was a group of gobblers and they where running around me all morning. I had decoys set out and I was using hen calls those didnt seem to work. Every time I did a hen call they would shut up and they would stop walking. So then I switched to a gobble call and that really excited them. But they would stay in the trees about 75 yards I couldnt ever see em but I could hear there footprints and their throat noises they make. I ended up seeing them when I tryed to cut em off and there was 6 toms in that group but they were moving to fast for me to get a shot. Then I had similar situation several other times with different birds in different spots. It just seemed that the only call that was working was the gobble call.
BB12
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:33 pm

BB12 wrote:Well this is what happened to me last year. opening day there was a group of gobblers and they where running around me all morning. I had decoys set out and I was using hen calls those didnt seem to work. Every time I did a hen call they would shut up and they would stop walking. So then I switched to a gobble call and that really excited them. But they would stay in the trees about 75 yards I couldnt ever see em but I could hear there footprints and their throat noises they make. I ended up seeing them when I tryed to cut em off and there was 6 toms in that group but they were moving to fast for me to get a shot. Then I had similar situation several other times with different birds in different spots. It just seemed that the only call that was working was the gobble call.

Were they jakes or long beards? sometimes jakes won't come in to hen yelps if they have had their a$$e$ whipped by the boss bird...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BB12 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:13 pm

These were all long beards. I didnt see a jake that whole hunt.
BB12
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:37 am

BB12 wrote:Hi I live here in southern utah and I need some advice on hunting late season gobblers, my hunt sarts on may 4. I drew this hunt last year and i had troubles gettn the birds to come close to my calls. they would circle me for bout 15 minutes staying bout 100 yards out and then they would loose interest. You guys know of any tips or tactics I could use so this doesnt happen to me this year. thanks

What species of turkey are you hunting? Rio's or merriam's?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby BB12 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:58 am

Mainly Rios but there are meriams in the area.
BB12
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 pm

BB12 wrote:Mainly Rios but there are meriams in the area.

Rio's will travel a LONG way to the call...the later in the season -the easier they get.
My guess is that the turkeys were traveling on a game trail. They will do this a lot in western states where elk and other big game are . Turkeys are like people...they will take the path of least resistance...even if it is a round about approach. Were you in a thick spot?...turkeys don't like to travel in thickets. were you below them in elevation? Turkeys are easier to call when you are on the same elevation or above them.....

The turkeys lost interest probably because they got to a spot where they thought they should see a hen and she never appeared..or, you called to them while they were looking and they figured that they should have seen the hen from where the sounds came from and didn't - and they got nervous and left. My advice next time this happens is to move up to where they where and try to call them back...or....
Rio's are notoriously hard to call in the opposite direction they are traveling...If they are gobbling going away from you, you must get in front of where they are headed. That might mean making a 2 mile loop around them, if that is the only way. But you stand a much much better chance if you are in the direction they are headed..hope this helps....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum