Lone hen?

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Lone hen?

Postby allnighter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Now that the weather is to were I can go and school has given me time the season is almost out(this sunday). I know there are birds in the area that I am hunting, but it is only 40 acres. I think all the birds have vanished except one bird. I have scouted the area and the only bird around is one hen whats up with that? Is she breed and away from the group or what.What do I do hope that a stray tom comes though or that the big group that the owner has seen come back? :help: Or just give up the ghost.
allnighter
hunter

Re: Lone hen?

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:54 am

I definitely wouldnt give up cause you cant kill em sitting on the couch. But, by the sounds of it theyre only using the woods periodically if the only bird your seeing consistantly is a single hen. Your probably spot on, she's found a secluded area and is now nesting. If your confident there are no birds utilizing the woods, then i would see about granting access to surrounding properties that are holding turkeys. And if that effort fails, i would still hunt the woods you can access, cause you just never know when a lonely tom might come gobbling.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum