Mexico Ocellateds

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Mexico Ocellateds

Postby The Waterfowler » Sat May 02, 2009 7:56 pm

I always enjoy the trips to Mexico for either Gould's or Ocellateds. The interior is so much different than the border towns and the scenery quite unique. We hunted a fringe area between the jungles and agricultural areas in some pretty rough country, but the birds were there. Were able to call in several as well. Three of my friends were able to finish their World Slams as well.

Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Re: Mexico Ocellateds

Postby fowlhunter » Sat May 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Thats awesome! I've never seen a turkey like that before. Are the spurs always that long on mature birds? Those are def some sharp looking birds. Congrats :bow: :bow:
"It's better to be hated for who you are than be loved for who you're not"
Van Zandt
fowlhunter
Forum Moderator

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun May 03, 2009 6:30 am

fowlhunter wrote:Thats awesome! I've never seen a turkey like that before. Are the spurs always that long on mature birds? Those are def some sharp looking birds. Congrats :bow: :bow:

Longest that we've killed have been 2 1/4 inches. Average spur length is 1 3/4. They are pretty impressive and wicked in a fight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Rick618 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:42 am

Those jungle birds have some awesome hooks.

I seem to recall one of the call makers had spent some time down there and had worked out an electronic call that was working well on those. Are you using a modified standard turkey call, something of local creation, or an electronic?
Rick618
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Sun May 03, 2009 10:14 am

We're using an electronic plus a drum that imitates the boom of a male. They Mayans whistle to immitate a hen. They come looking for a fight as they are to most territorial bird I have seen. Lovette Williams made some recordings that we use.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby Super Dave 32 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:36 pm

Wow! That's awesome! I saw a hunt show on Outdoor Channel where they hunted the Ocellateds. I thought they looked like a cross between a turkey and a peacock. Your pictures are amazing! Thanks for posting them!
The good old days are now!
Super Dave 32
hunter

Postby CALLEMQUACKTN » Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Them birds are Awesome!!! very nice :thumbsup:
CALLEMQUACKTN
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue May 05, 2009 8:14 am

Gosh theyre gorgeous...Congratulations.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby slaughter_fest » Tue May 05, 2009 9:34 am

ive seen hunts for those birds on tv but it seemed like it was all spot and stalk but when you call them in do they strut like our birds back home?
slaughter_fest
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Tue May 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Understand that you don't see "gobblers" running together as they fight lke game chickens, so it's one male in his territory until another boss whips him. When you close the deal on one it's usually by immitating another male on his turf and they come ready to fight. Their strut is unlike our birds, as they flail the off side wing and tuck the head differently. The Mayans prefer to immitate the whistle of a hen which works too. New inroads are being made calling them and I see and lern something new each trip. For those that have never hunted them and scoff at the idea of roost shooting, which has been the norm for years, keep in mind moving through the jungles and brush is most difficult at best and minutes turn into hours as you are moving very slowly with a lot of stuff tripping, scratching and poking you with each step. There is also some pretty serious inhabitants in the jungles that you don't want to step on and that adds to the excitement along with the fact you have never seen night-time as dark as it gets there.

The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Tue May 05, 2009 8:13 pm

Just incredable. Sounds like an awesome trip. With hooks like those youd definitely wanna make sure it was done kicking before you grab a hold of that bad boy! :eek:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Wed May 06, 2009 8:54 pm

Those are some cool looking birds.Thanks for sharing.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Fri May 08, 2009 10:21 am

I`ve seen them in person in Belize but never have been there to hunt them. They are truly beautiful birds

Congratulations on a great hunt sir

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum