Swimming turkeys

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Swimming turkeys

Postby magogwhacker » Mon May 04, 2009 7:49 am

Get this, after getting my second bird early Sunday, I went out fishing in the boat. After some poor fishing, I'm steaming up the middle of the lake when I come on a turkey gobbler swimming through a 1 foot chop in the middle of the lake, about 1/4 mile from shore. I was sitting there, wondering what was wrong with it when I noticed 4 more closer to the bank. I went over and saw that they were 4 jakes. They all swam to the bank and scooted out. I don't know if they tried to fly across and ran out of gas, or just jumped in from the other bank. They swam about 1/2 mile. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? I wish I had a picture to show, but, of course, I had no camera.
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Re: Swimming turkeys

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon May 04, 2009 6:59 pm

unbelievable.....awesome story!! Is there anything that bird can't do??? If you find out anything outside this forum, please post!! That seems like extremely unusual behavior......
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon May 04, 2009 11:48 pm

I've seen video of turkeys swimming like ducks...don't know why they do it though...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby duckfool18 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:34 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blj4tHIax2E

this is a video of s swimming turkey, i cant really tell though. it has a pretty red head.
duckfool18
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu May 07, 2009 5:41 pm

That would be a rare sight indeed.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat May 09, 2009 9:13 am

Don't tell the game and fish about this............they will make us buy a frickin duck stamp...
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby magogwhacker » Mon May 11, 2009 6:14 am

Actually, the fish and game biologist told me more about it. Apparently they've been doing some cross breeding to develop a strain of turduckhens in the wild. I didn't hear it, but he claims that these birds don't gobble, they cockledoodledoo....
What? There's open water? Its not cold enough.
magogwhacker
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon May 11, 2009 6:59 am

:lol3:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 am

magogwhacker wrote:Actually, the fish and game biologist told me more about it. Apparently they've been doing some cross breeding to develop a strain of turduckhens in the wild. I didn't hear it, but he claims that these birds don't gobble, they cockledoodledoo....

Sounds like your game and fish is about a productive as ours here in NM............. :wink:
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby das mudhen » Tue May 19, 2009 3:12 pm

I've seen several turkeys swimming in lakes and streams. They swim in a funny manner - sort of a side to side wiggle I guess you could call it.

Last year in Kansas, I called a Terrible Two in and he crossed a fairly deep creek to get to me. At one point, he stopped in about 18" of running water and gobbled! He just splashed across that creek like it didn't matter and walked into about 15 yards.

I see them standing in water all the time in hot weather conditions - especially shallow spring ponds - they eat tons of stuff from these ponds as well.....

mudhen
"Lighten up Francis"

Sgt. Hulka
das mudhen
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum