Your famously named turkeys...

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Re: Your famously named turkeys...

Postby jasonphoto01 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:10 pm

I can finish the story if you want kieth!!! hahaha
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:51 pm

Is he still alive?
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby huntmachine » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 am

Late season Gobbler named "Chester" because we called him and another tom in off the roost one morning, they both came in full strut within 15-20 ft, shot, folded the head completely back and dropped one of the Toms. Win"chester" 3 in 4 shot turkey load, got up to go get the bird, ol' "Chester" jumped up and ran into the woods.........

The shotgun shell Winchester didnt get it done so we called him "Chester" for Winchester!
huntmachine
Newb

Postby jasonphoto01 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:19 pm

NMBlackgold wrote:Is he still alive?

Yeah he's still around. Im sure he will post something up here as turkey season comes around and he comes to check out the forum.
jasonphoto01
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:37 pm

O.K. NMBlackgold...I kinda forgot about this thread... :oops:
I promise I'll finish it...may not be in this post though...

Part 2:
The double bend and first look at Ole Grande

.....After talking to the boys uncle, he asks, "what are you boys doing for the rest of the afternoon?"
Me- "well, nothing but looking for turkeys for when we come back up next week when the season opens..."
"Well-Justin-take them boys over there now and let them put some eyes on the place and show them around a little..."

Off we go...the boy talkin all the way there with a fresh set of spurs and a beard in his hands.... :yes: He is telling us about not just one big ole bird-but a few that he has seen, but Ole Grande is the biggest by far...
when we get to the spot where everyone sees Grande from the road, there are two trucks parked on the side of the road, looking out across the pasture. I turn to look and there in the middle of the field with a harem of 12-15 hens is the Biggest damn bird I have EVER SEEN!! :eek: This bird can't even walk right he's so big-he waddles!! and this is a 100% wild bird too-ain't got any domestic in him..no white anywhere in the tail fan...
I don't remember what I said-but the boy just looks at me with a big grin :biggrin: and says "Told you he was big!"
Big was an understatement! this turkey was huge!!
We pull up and stop and talk to the locals...they tell us that no one around this town has ever seen a turkey so big...justin tell's the old men that we are going to kill him this season...we just kinda chuckle...so do the old men...' good luck with that big un boys" one of the old men says...

We talk a while and then head off to the gate to look at the property.
while riding through, we see turkeys EVERYWHERE! this place is a turkey hunters Dream! prime Missouri habitat!
there are 3 feeder creeks that run through the property and run down to the river, oak flats and ridges everywhere, with green fields on top and in the valleys. The boy is talking non stop explaining where the roosts are and where the turkeys like to travel and hang out....we make a game plan to listen on this farm the next day...we add 2 days on to the trip to allow us to scout this place as well as the spots dave has set up for us...but dave already knows those spots, so we concentrate on the double bend with our little guide buddy Justin while he is out of school for the weekend...

Next morning -Ole Grande's first gobble

we meet up with Justin at his Uncle's to pick him up and ride out to listen for birds.
"My uncle says the birds been gobbling good down by the river and the middle creek..but if you get on the top ridge close to Ole Grande-he will shut all the gobbling down around the north creek..."

We wanted to spread out, So I go down to the river with justin and my brother and dave separate and spread out to try and peg Ole Grande and pattern him to his favorite morning strut zone...

Justin puts me near where the creek meets 3 fields and says that this is where most of the gobblers like to hang out...far away from Ole Grande...
I heard 17 different birds that morning...and 3 were no doubt big boss birds...bunch of 2 year olds....justin hears some of the same birds I do but pegs a big bird on a field down by the river...nice little small field where a turkey is killed every year opening week...he watches him strut with some hens out in front of him at 50 yards...has to wait till they walk off so he can sneek out to the truck...
Mean while, I make my way back to the truck...I have to stop and watch a strutter out in a field, and take a detour around a ridge so as not to spook them...
Justin finally makes his way to the truck and we swap info...we drive to the top of the hill to meet up with the other two...
I roll the window down and dave says-"that damn turkey has got to have a damn speaker phone tied to his tree he is so loud!"
My brother agrees...opening week can't get here soon enough!!

The First Battle...

We plan on tangling with Ole Grande right out of the gate...opening morning to be exact...the three of us- Dave, Brother and I are waiting for gobbling light close to Ole Grandes favorite fly down field...cardianls start to sound off...the woods are silent. an owl hoots and a couple of turkeys far off gobble. sounds like they are out justin's way down by the river(the boy wanted to keep tabs on our saga with grande and hunt down by the river...)
finally a crow flies over just a little too close to Ole Grande and he lets out his first yell of the morning. It startles me how loud he is...very distinct gobble, high pitch screech on the end and a looooong roll...definitely a mature bird- But damn! that was loud!!
We ease down to the edge of the field and set up...Grande is about 160 yards away, but we couldn't get any closer because of his hens...
sure enough, as it gets light...whenever another bird gobbles, Grande let's the woods have it...and every turkey within 800 yards shuts up....
the hens start pitching out...one does a flydown cackle and Grande double gobbles HARD...with that, he then "falls" out of the tree, breaking limbs as his massive wings try to stop the momentum....I just look at my brother and he face says it all...wow!
Grande does not pitch out into the field, but straight down...first mistake of the morning-he is kinda behind us now. :oops:
the hens in the field start calling and we can hear Grande spit and drum-I dare not look..
Another crow...GGOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLLLE right be hind me! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck just typing about it. This turkey has some lungs!! He only gobbled 7 times that morning-but every time he did, the woods were silent for at least 20 minutes till a far off bird could be heard...
We are pinned down. The hens filter out to the left of the field and Grande never makes a showing out in the open...his ladies pull him off to the plowed field by the road... it's now about 8:30 a.m.

Ding of the Bell...

We wait for them to filter off and then we huddle up for round 2. About that time- a different turkey gobbles on the next ridge and Grande cuts him off...
dave-"That is one big @#$%^^# turkey! I got an eye around on him from the tree I was on...and the gobble! Damn!"
Brother," If we get that bird in front of the camera- I don't care who pulls the trigger on him! I want the footage of him taking it in the mouth!"

Dave, "That is definitely a very aggressive bird-shutting the gobbling down like that... We might have to pull out some tricks to kill him..."
Brother, "Well let's make a loop to the top of the ridge under his roost tree -I want to check out the terrain. Then we can easy down to the creek and come out to the edge of the plowed field and see where they come out into the field..."
Me, "sounds good to me...I got some awesome gobbling audio when he gobbled behind us.. I think we got some spitting and drumming too..."

We ease up the ridge, and 1/2 way up, out on a point, we find the roost tree... a big mature white oak...
Dave in a woods whisper, "look at this...his turds are as big as a 20 gauge shot shell!!"
Brother, "lets ease down to the creek..."

About that time we hear a boom down by the river...we all look at each other with thumbs up...that young boy just called up his first turkey...what an awesome opening day in Missouri! We end up down in the creek and the turkeys have beat us into the field...the hens are pecking the fresh dirt for grubs freshly turned up, while Ole Grande is blow'd up drumming behind them. We watch them for a while and decide to make our way out to the truck and maybe get on another bird till Grande's hens leave him.
On the way out, we find a cattle crossing where the turkeys enter the field so we file that away...recon mission successful.

WE meet up with Justin at the top of the ridge and he indeed did call up his first bird, and it ain't no slouch either!! 1 3/8" and 1 7/16" spurs...11 1/2 beard, and pushes the scale at 24 lbs.
We admire Justin's bird and high five the boy.
Justin, "Hey. I didn't hear you guys shoot, guess ole Grande gave ya'll the slip..."
"Yea, we got in too tight on him, and he pitched straight down instead of out in the field..."
J- "Should have told you guy's about that. He only flies straight down off the roost."
Me,"well we know now...he's in the plowed field right now blow'd up with his hens..."
J-"well, if one of you want to kill one right now, there's one blowed up in a field two ridges over all by himself..."
That was all he had to say...we gutted his bird and filled the cavity with ice, hung him in a tree and the three of us took off following our Indian guide.
Dave ended up killing that bird about 2 hours later, and I got another kill on film...gobbled good, strutting in the whole way. Justin knew where the turkeys liked to come into the field so my brother float called back in the woods and the bird came right in on a string. Wish they were all that easy-but that's what makes it fun!

The Saga

We hunted that bird hard for 4 days...eventually we had to give him a break. This bird rarely gobbled at hens or hen calls, but every time another tom gobbled, he cut him off...we set up on this bird so many times, I lost count. we tried getting tight on him, only to have him walk the other way. we tried camping out on his favorite plowed field-only to have him not show up-until AFTER we leave at 1:00 pm when hunting stops in missouri.. :mad:
We would leave him alone, and set up on a satellite bird 1000 yards away, and when we fired up the sub-dominate bird, Ole Grande would march over and whoop that turkey's *** before he made it to us!! Lost count how many times this happened.

We had him roosted one time out in an island of trees because the creek was out of it's banks. Thought we had him for sure.
he stayed on the roost till 10:30 a.m. in the rain and then pitched out and walked dead away from us with a tree between the gun. he went to the biggest field and sat on the top of the hill.

This turkey has the most dominate of dominate genes I have ever witnessed! His M.O. is that after he flies down (or rather leaps out of the tree and falls like a bowling ball to the ground crashing and breaking limbs the whole way down), he gobbles a few times to round up any stray hens and then he shuts up, just struts and spits and drums for the ladies...until another turkey gobbles, then he lets out a scream to show who's boss! If the younger bird doen't heed the warning, he will go over there and kick his butt!

Gobble tube didn't work. Fighting purr didn't work. fake fight with wings didn't work (float calling). decoys didn't work. Real stuffed Strutter didn't work. I'm telling ya-we pulled out everything... It was rare to find him without hens...when his hens left him, he stole other gobblers hens...he basically had hens the entire season.... :mad:

We tried calling the hens, we tried pissing off his boss hen-that only brought her in and he stayed out in the field just out of range....

We hunted this bird for 3 seasons and he just got tougher...
One time we had him working to us after his hens left him in a field like a covey of quail....(BTW-hens will sometimes bust like a covey of quail from a very aggressive gobbler when they are ready to leave him to ensure that the tom doesn't follow a hen back to a nest and disturb the nest... :thumbsup: FYI) Gobblers are VERY vulnerable when this happens...in the confusion, they will work to a call like magic! But it was not to be on that day...a coyote entered the far side of the long field 30 minutes later and spook the bird. Caught him again-same deal-hens busted and Grande just flipped his wings, and walked out the other side of the field heading to a gobbler that was gobbling...going to steal more hens! :mad:

One time we had him at 40 yards, we got between him and another gobbling bird and he was on his way to kick some ***...but he stopped behind a thicket and didn't present a good shot...he just turned and walked off...but we did manage to kill the other bird coming in behind us-on film too...

Ring Side Seats...

We are walking back to the truck after a long 3 week season hunting every day and my brother stops in mid walk and points...so does dave "it's Ole Grande! how much time we got left??"
"57 minutes" I say...he gobbles again...we just look at each other, and muster up the courage to go do battle and get our butts handed to us one more time...
It's the last hour of the last day of the 3 week missouri season, we can handle it...one last hurrah dueling with ole Grande...
we walk down the road at a fast pace...he gobbles again...dave says "I think he might be alone...the hens should have left him by now...this might be our chance to catch him on the move!"
we walk a little farther, cross a fence and make our way to him...we come across a nice little opening green with grass and wild flowers about 150 yards from the field. It's the exact same field we set up in the very first morning I heard his Gobble and we tangled with him. The field rises in front of us and drops off down to the infamous plowed field (from 3 years ago...) below us... I find a tree next to a dogwood with low hanging limbs and backup under it and start readying the camera...dave belly crawls to the top of the hill to look down where Ole Grande is at to survey the situation. I see him wiggle back down and turn to me with a thumbs up-he's alone! It has been so rare to catch this ole bird alone, this just might be our chance!
Grande is in the plowed field with crows dive bombing him endlessly...he is alone and gobbling at the crows pestering him.
When I give the thumbs up to dave that the camera's are on, Dave lets out a loud cut n run sequence...a turkey gobbles down in the valley, off into the woods-not Grande, but another bird.
We are all on the same page. We know Ole Grande heard him too because he gobbled and cut him off...well, this turkey would not stand for that-he gobbles back! Another mature dominate boss bird looking for a fight! And We got ring side seats!! That is the first turkey we witnessed in three years gobbling back at Ole Grande!! :yes:
the way the plowed field is set up, we know that in order for Grande to go to the challenger, he would have to come to our corner of the field where there is a gap in the fence. He is so big that we knew he would not fly the fence...

Dave pours on the calling trying to fire up the new comer...and fire him up he did. that bird double gobbled! first bird we ever heard double gobble with Grande anywhere near...the tension builds. We know we are in the game for the biggest show down on the double bend! and I got goose bumps as I type!! :yes:
For what seems like an eternity, we wait...finally Ole Grande Gobbles...the challenger gobbles back, only this time he is closer-cut the distance by more than half...sounds like he is in the field at the far corner on the other side of the hill from me...about 120 yards away and standing under Grande's roost tree.
We have the perfect set-up...we figure that we can call this new bird in and Grande's would try to cut him off!!
That's exactly what happened...I looked up and I see a huge fan peek over the hill, I move the camera into position...when I look into the screen, I see two fans! they walk to the top of the hill and there is Grande in all his greatness...in full strut with the sun shining him up like a spot light....the challenger is sizing Ole Grande up...not quite sure whether to strut, or bow up or what...then the challenger sees the decoys off to the right move slightly in the wind...then Grande sees them too..but he's not worried about them...he is not coming off from squaring off with the new comer. The new comer is steadily walking to the decoys, and Grande is straining-throwing his weight left to right...he is so big up close for the first time that -to borrow a phrase from Tom Kelly...He looks like he could rape an ocstrich...flat footed! It's at this time that I notice the sheer size of the bird. His tail fan is huge! and it rolls way around almost down to the ground...Both birds are completely preoccupied with each other, and Grande positioning between the decoy and the new guy that they do not even know we are there...

When the birds get to the decoys, a hen decoy spins a little fast from a gust of wind...the new guy jumps back a few steps to survey the situation..and that's when dave hair lips him... :beer: and Grande is flopping!!!! The challenger runs and flies off-saved from a sure enough *** whooping!

When my brother saw the events unfold, and Grande position close to the decoy, he knew dave would get the shot...he chose not to double up...he wanted Grande on Film!!!

What an elation!! What a rush to finally get Grande on film!! I almost fainted when I stood up from the adrenalin rush! I look at my watch and it's 12:53, 7 minutes to spare!! :thumbsup: :biggrin: The bird ended up weighing 29 lbs. had 1 11/16" and 1 7/8" Spurs and a 14" beard that was as big around as a coke can!
And when we got to looking at his tail fan, He had 20 tail feathers...not 18 like most turkeys, that is what made his fan look like it would drag the ground....and I forget the exact measurement on the fan, but it was 1/4 to 1/3 larger than the other turkeys on the place....

What a Saga indeed...justin was so happy we finally got him, he skipped out of his last class of the day at high school to meet us at the house to check him out...His dad when to school and picked him up, he was waiting anxiously when we pulled up. :beer:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby NMBlackgold » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Wow Swamp, I have to say it was well worth the wait. Having been raised on a farm in east-central Mo, your story brings back great memories of days gone by. I can picture your position and the landscape with precision, along with the sounds of Cardinals and Blue Jays and Fox squirrels giving away your setup with the slightest of movement. We took many majestic birds but nothing ever that big. I have long since migrated to New Mexico and the skills I learned back in Mo. challenging the giant Easterns, are still in use today, but at much higher altitude. Great story!
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:31 am

when i was first starting out turkey hunting and still learning the ropes, there was i really nice Gobbler that i named Bonaparte. He earned the name because of his short stature and to me it seemed this bird was a strategic genius. That turkey always seemed to go silent upon approach and circle around the back of my set up. Bonaparte also had a very distinguishable gobble that was more stuttery and cut-up. I saw him multiple time over two years, during both deer and turkey season, however i was never able to harvest it.
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:08 am

LACallem, clever tag (Bonaparte) for that bird, maybe you can "tag" his offspring this spring, good luck..
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby Caleb Mitchell » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 am

Chased one for two spring seasons named "Big Boy"
Never got him.
Caleb Mitchell
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:06 am

Excellent reading, any other turkey stories out there?
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby lukea.becker » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:18 pm

indaswamp - that was an awesome story thanks for taking the time to write all of that! any chance we can see a picture of that turkey? or maybe even the video of the hunt itself? sounds like the hunt of a lifetime for sure!
We cannot expect the Americans to jump from capitalism to communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving Americans small doses of socialism until they suddenly awake to find they live under Communism. --Nikita Khrushchev
lukea.becker
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:30 am

I've got one turkey that I will always remember. He barely got away, mainly b/c of unselfishness one day. I affectionately named him Ole SOB, b/c that's exactly what he was. I knew of this particular bird from experiences with him and his buddy the previous year. They both eluded me until his buddy decided to strike out on his own. That was a mistake as I took him by sneaking almost under his tree. Now the next season was what makes Ole SOB legendary. This was the last season because the place where Ole SOB called home was sold for a subdivision. All I wanted for the last season was that bird. This was a season struggle, but 2 hunts really made Ole SOB a legend.

The season started with me doing the usual. I scouted heavily, and found there to be several gobblers on the farm. However, one familiar bird was back at his favorite roosting spot. It was within an old fenced in area. Part old pasture which was overtaken by Hedge-apples and a very open oak ridge looking over a creek. Ole SOB had just a few trees that he loved to roost in. In fact, before him, many gobblers picked the exact same trees to roost. They sat over a road that ran down the fence and down into the woods to the creek. A perfect place to set up as I routinely watched as Ole SOB enter a large bean field using that exact road.

Season set in. I did my routine the night before the hunt and went to roost birds. I was getting pretty antsy, not hearing a bird. It was nearly pitch black before my screeching owl hoots were answered. Right where I expected, Ole SOB was on his perch. I was very confident. My plan was to sneak in as tight as possible. I had a perfect tree in mind. I wanted to get to the edge of the woods so that I could over look the open ridge. If I could make it too that tree I would surely get a shot as the woods were not that big.

I woke up extra early the next morning. I was going to sneak in as early as possible as to not even chance disturbing him. There was limited foliage at this time. I made my way over the gate and down the fence to the hedge apples. Instead of going down the open road, I snuck through the hedge apples to hide me. It is pitch black and at least an hour before a turkey should stir on the roost. As I am making my way through I kept hearing a dog bark across the creek. There are a few houses over there it was common to hear dogs. I had about 30 yards to go when a bellowing gobble let loose from the oaks in front of me. I froze and looked at my watch. No way I thought. It was still plenty dark but I panicked. I found a suitable hedge apple to sit by. I was not planning on using decoys, but not being where I wanted I decided to try a half strut and some hens. I put them 20 yards past me in an attempt to pull Ole SOB a little closer. I had experience with him hanging up often the season before.

The morning wore on and his gobbles continued to roar from the oaks. A few other birds gobbled but no where near this bird. I heard some faint yelps and purrs. He has hens as usual. I was excited. I figured if I could get the hens to come in, he would surely follow. I'm right where he likes to travel anyways. The time had come. I could hear 4 birds leave the roost with one sounding very heavy. I made soft calls to entice the hens to come have a look. All the birds were just over a rise in the woods. After a little bit, I started to see birds moving. 3 hens made there way towards me. Curious as hens are, they came in with out hesitation. One passed a mere 5 yards from me. As they passed I looked up the road and there he was. Full strut just over the rise in the old road. Oh I thought, he will surely come right in. He was just a tad over 40 yards at this time, but the rise was just high enough. Anytime he stuck enough of his head up he was a behind a honeysuckle bush. He paced back and forth in the road. His drumming sent vibrations through my body. I did not know that in the next minute that I would witness one of the smartest turkey tricks ever.

Remember that there is a fence running down along this old road. On the other side of the fence was a nasty overgrown woods. To my sudden surprise, Ole SOB pulled a fast one. He jumped over the fence. I was besides my self. I thought "That Ole SOB!!!!!" After crossing the fence he began to gobble to ensure his hens he was on his way to the field. I couldn't believe it. I had to think fast. The hens were well past me and it was only a 10 yard crawl to the fence. He was that far into the woods. I decided that I had to crawl to that fence. When I thought it was clear I started my crawl slowly across the grassy old road. I got about halfway across when movement to my left caught my eye. It was a hen! I guess she saw me moving but was curious and not startled at all. I stopped, put my face straight into the ground and watched out of the corner of my eye as the hen approached. She stopped at 10ft! I could hear the most subtle of subtle turkey talk. She never did putt. Didn't run but slowly walked away. I made my way to the fence, but Ole SOB was already past.

I worked that bird in a giant circle until the 1 pm quitting time here in MO. I made several different set-ups on him. Tried all the tricks I could think of. Nothing, he always was one step ahead. This just got even more personal. I would be back, but this time, I was going to bring a friend who was on a 10 year slump with turkeys. What could be better.

Part 2 will come soon.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 pm

bump
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby FMFdevildoc » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:33 am

School house: on a section of public easement in New Mexico, where an old coal mining town school house was, there was a boss tom I named school house. He always roosted in the cotton wood trees by the old school house. I worked my *** off trying to make him dead and never did.

But.... I did waste old running boards a week later. Old running boards wasn't a spectacular trophy tom; but I did get to make him dead. I named him running boards because I tried to take my Denali luxury SUV up a New Mexico Mesa quad trail, high centered it on the running board & destroyed a running board in the process - every time Id dog the motor or the running board went "crunch" against the rock pile, Id hear him gobble - which is how I approximated his location.

Getting back down that mesa was just as hectic; a blizzard rolled through and the clay turned into axle grease. Even in 4-low and with mud tires @ 0.02 miles per hour, I was all over the place. I finally parked and walked down to the meadow where I figured old running boards was gobbling.... I cranked on my box call and yelped over the howling blizzard winds - and at 4:45pm on a blizzard Wednesday, I shot old running boards in the face: with a New England Pardner single shot 12ga. I took the brunt of a 3 in. Magnum turkey load, in the bicep, due to my akward shooting angle & his approach.

This is probably my favorite turkey hunt, I had got off duty at the firehouse late that morning; my regular scattergun wasn't working so I broke out the old new england. I couldn't find my slate call or my owl locator call, I had 5 turkey shells and the sporting goods store didnt open until ten am... All the boys @ the firehouse said "You aren't going to even pull the trigger today, you wont get no gobbler".

Yet against all odds, poorly planed, poorly equipped, damage to my truck be dammed I got my gobbler. I promptly went directly to the firehouse & showed them jokers: a dead gobbler. We ate that bird for dinner 2 days later at work & naturally, they all wanted to go hunt with me at my spot.

So I took old Montana Rahn out there, my buddy Rahn smoked "Bill Gobbler Jordan" in a meadow we named bill jordan alley.

Best part is the following season, Rahn took his 9 year old son out and he killed school house; the big boss gobbler. When I saw the pictures, I was certain it was him. So ill never regret having missed the opportunity to kill that big tom, because a little boy got to make his daddy proud (and one - up me) by shooting a trophy bird; which is priceless to me.
Why? One inquires why? Because, AMERICA !!
FMFdevildoc
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:42 am

"Big Boy and the Two Henchmen!"

This is a tom that had a hugh flock of hens with him,and he had 2 other tom's with him,and during our scouting trips we saw him strutting away surrounded by hens and these two toms! One evening as we were hiding in the heffer barn we watched the whole flock walk up the field toward the barn,and as they started to head to the hardwoods across the plowed corn field to the north two other tom's crossed the hedgerow and were coming toward the large flock with Big Boy and his hens,at that moment the 2 Henchmen broke away and went after the 2 toms that crossed the hedgerow,they went straight after the new comers,and ran them off,back into the north field,then turned back and followed Big Boy and the hens,but Big Boy never once even showed any interest in the other two toms,he just stayed with the hens and followed them up into the woods! So we decided it was a good name! The Two Henchmen died to my brother-in-laws shotgun,one shot and he dropped them both,classic double,and I shot Big Boy,but it was after three weeks of trying to call them in to gun range! We ended up ambushing them on thier way to hook up with the hens in the morning,for some reason they decided to roost on the other side of the field from the hens that evening,and we knew we had our chance to get a shot on them in the morning!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5