Ground Blind Opinion

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Ground Blind Opinion

Postby A-Bomb » Mon May 25, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey guys and gals,
Im looking to upgrade my ground blind and one of the blinds im interested in is in the Primos Ground Force Series. The particular model is "The Vision".

Anyone use this blind? And if so, can you give your likes and dislikes to help me make a decision. It would be greatly appreciated. I dont use a blind a whole lot when turkey hunting, because i like to run and gun if i can, but they do have their time and place and are a tool every turkey hunter needs. For me the old Ameristep Dog House just dont cut it for my needs anymore.

Thanks in advance...Adam
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Re: Ground Blind Opinion

Postby A-Bomb » Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Well since noone chimed in, i did somemore research and found out that this particular blind has some issues with the magnets falling out of the window flaps, is shiny, flaps in the wind and has some seam issues....For a blind costing over $200.00 you would think things like this would be a non issue....I didnt want to spend the money, but it looks like the Double Bull it is....It gets rave reviews.
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed May 27, 2009 5:55 am

Sorry A-Bomb, didn't see your post. This was the first year I ever used a blind. Mostly because I had my 13-year-old hunting with me, and I wanted to prevent him getting busted from making rookie mistakes. I will tell you, that I will be using a blind more often now. I used a cheap Ameristep blind that has 4 hoops in it, and unfolds and folds into three spirals and has a backpack to carry it in. I'll tell you what, for 80 bucks, I don't see a reason to have anything more. I do know that the double-bull blind is definately bigger, but the neighbor hunting the property next to me had one, and it was sticking out pretty well due to the fact that it was so large. I don't think it would effect the turkeys any, but I could see it from a mile away. I will add, that he had it in a green field, and the blind was brown, so the contrasting colors played a big role in it's visibility. The Blind I used was about the exact size of a round-bail, and I personally loved how easy it was to set up and take down. It's one draw-back was the zippers, but I didn't have a problem with the little bit of noise I made. I was thinking about the double-bull as well, but I think I'll go with the cheap route, and for the price, you can buy three of these, and have them set up in advance in multiple hunting spots. I borrowed two from two different friends, and I think I'll buy a third, so we all can use them together.

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby A-Bomb » Thu May 28, 2009 11:43 pm

Thanks for the comeback Pete, i appreciate your opinion. I am however going to go with the Double Bull. It has plenty of room for multiple hunters and my gear, works well in high winds, has a lifetime warranty on the poles and hubs, infinite window options etc. Its what i really want for my hunting needs. Will be a good investment for me.

And besides, I already have two Ameristeps..the outhouse and the doghouse and they have served their purpose for me, but i have not been overly happy with either of them. I dont like the roof support set up, the sheen of the blind and the limited window options. Not to mention that the winows flap like crazy when theyre open a bit on a windy day. I about got drove nuts out there hunting the field set with Mom.

Thanks again buddy, appreciate your imput. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Just got my DB Dark Horse in the mail today...Oh my is that thing sweet. Im really looking forward to hunting outta that blind. It has tons of room for mulitple hunters and the shooting options are virtually endless. For the price, you would think it would be well made, and that is exactly my initial thoughts when i recieved this blind. It looks like its quite rugged and built to last....Time will tell, so far im happy with my investment....Man is it dark there! :yes: :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby matchbook454 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:43 pm

I've got a Darkhorse and am pretty happy with it. I hunted in some good rain though and even after waterproofing it leaked a bit. Better than not being in a blind though! Other than that I love it.
matchbook454
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Im looking forward to hunting out of my DB this fall. Hopefully i can draw a fall turkey permit so i can put this thing to use. Would be awesome to get by buck and a gobbler outta the blind....Looking forward to it.

Been looking around at packs for the BD cause the one that comes with it leaves allot to be desired. Probably the most dissappointing thing about the purchase is its storage/carrying unit. There are units out there that will carry the blind nicely, but theyre quite pricy. I see Primos has come out with a carrying bag similar to the Wildthing that has the stool, gun/bow holder and blind holder. But at $24.99 i wonder how durable or comfortable it will be. Blind weights 20#, then your gun and stool...Seems for the price there must be a compromise in quality somewhere.

Some of the units im currently looking at are the Beard Buster Blind Hog, Badlands 2200, Rig ITT and Wildthing....So far im leaning towards the Beard Buster. Its fairly lightweight, looks to be well built and is extremely functional. I actually had a member of another forum recommend that pack for hauling my hub style blind. Will accomadate decoys, blind, stool, gun/bow and many other accessories....Is really a great value when you compare it to other packs with similar features. Looks rugged too.

At the same time, ive thought about a plain old Army duffel bag. They can be had very reasonable and are very durable. Newer versions even have the backpack style straps on them as opposed to the single shoulder strap.

Well, enough babbling i susppose......Just geeked out about my new toys and am ready to hunt!!! Wanna get all the kinks worked out now!
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby MstWntd » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:13 pm

A-Bomb wrote:Im looking forward to hunting out of my DB this fall. Hopefully i can draw a fall turkey permit so i can put this thing to use. Would be awesome to get by buck and a gobbler outta the blind....Looking forward to it.

Been looking around at packs for the BD cause the one that comes with it leaves allot to be desired. Probably the most dissappointing thing about the purchase is its storage/carrying unit. There are units out there that will carry the blind nicely, but theyre quite pricy. I see Primos has come out with a carrying bag similar to the Wildthing that has the stool, gun/bow holder and blind holder. But at $24.99 i wonder how durable or comfortable it will be. Blind weights 20#, then your gun and stool...Seems for the price there must be a compromise in quality somewhere.

Some of the units im currently looking at are the Beard Buster Blind Hog, Badlands 2200, Rig ITT and Wildthing....So far im leaning towards the Beard Buster. Its fairly lightweight, looks to be well built and is extremely functional. I actually had a member of another forum recommend that pack for hauling my hub style blind. Will accomadate decoys, blind, stool, gun/bow and many other accessories....Is really a great value when you compare it to other packs with similar features. Looks rugged too.

At the same time, ive thought about a plain old Army duffel bag. They can be had very reasonable and are very durable. Newer versions even have the backpack style straps on them as opposed to the single shoulder strap.

Well, enough babbling i susppose......Just geeked out about my new toys and am ready to hunt!!! Wanna get all the kinks worked out now!

Not sure how big the blind is folded up...but my uncle brought back a ruck sack from Afghanistan a few years ago and gave it to me...I use it everywhere I go...durable as all get out...just not TOO much space in it.
MstWntd
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum