Bow hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Bow hunting

Postby Champney » Tue May 26, 2009 6:59 pm

Just wondering how do you kill a turkey with a bow? I know most people use ground blinds and use that broad head that chops there head off but was also wondering if theres a way to shot them with a regular broad head and where to shot them. I seen it on t.v.
Champney
hunter

Re: Bow hunting

Postby A-Bomb » Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 pm

Here ya go.
http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum ... p?t=228905

As far as broadheads, i would use a mechanical head like the rage. It increases the odds of taking out the hips and vitals. Take out a turkeys hips and he isnt going anywhere. Get the hips and vitals and they go down very quickly. Last bird i killed with the stick and string was in the fall a couple years ago. I took the quartering away shot. From the point of impact to where he lay was about 12' and that was mostly do to his wings flapping like crazy.
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Champney » Thu May 28, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks. That pretty much tells me all I want to know. Great picture diagrams.
Champney
hunter

Postby turkeyslyr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:26 pm

Got my first turkey with a bow last season. I shot him with a G-5 montec. I hit him in the wing but. He acted like he was hurt pretty bad but then gathered himself up and walked off with the other tom that came in. I found him 70 yards away. They are tough birds. I think mechanicals where legal would be more useful because there cutting diameters are a little larger can take out more area when you hit them.

I tried the bull heads. But never got close enough to the head and neck area to lob that off.

Hope this helps.
Shaun
Team SnK
turkeyslyr
Newb

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum