Tagged my WI Tom!!!

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Tagged my WI Tom!!!

Postby matchbook454 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Sorry for being late with this story however I was fortunate enough to tag my 6th season WI bird over Memorial Day weekend. I have a few relatives in the West Central part of the state that own some land so I had quite a bit of land to hunt on. Even though I had a variety of places to hunt it was still the 6th season and I figured these birds would be pretty smart by now not to mention bird numbers in this part of the state were down dramatically compared to the past 2 years. Well, Friday morning (5/22) I hunted with one of my uncles and his grandson. We all heard birds gobble from their roosts in the morning however after they flew down the went silent and no one was able to get them to work. Later in the morning we decided to meet up move around hoping to locate some birds which we did. Unfortunately they didn't want to cooperate and my uncle decided to call it a day around noon.
Instead of just giving up I went over to another relatives farm and did some scouting there. After talking with that uncle I decided to set my blind up in a funnel near a roost area for the following morning and then get out of there. It looked like a good set up however I was still wasn't very optimistic since it was so late in the season.
Well, 4:00a.m. the following morning I was in my blind and ready to go. I knew I got in there early and doubted that I disturbed anything. I closed my eyes for a bit knowing that I had over an hour before the birds would hopefully start gobbling. Around 5:15 I heard my first bird, then my second, third, fourth and finally fifth! That's right, 5 different toms! They all sounded close as well. I started calling softly and got a response from 2 different toms. I worked them for about 25 minutes before they popped out of the ravine and let out a gobble when they saw my decoys in the field. My heart raced as the honed in on my 2 mounted hen decoys and came into full strut. They worked their way into range and as I stedied my gun on my shooting stick I did pause for a second or two and admire how beautiful those birds were! Realizing how fortunate I was to have 2 nice toms in range this late in the season though, I didn't hesitate too long and dropped the first one to stick his neck out and give me a shot.
This whole time my uncle had been watching me from his house and once he heard the shot he headed over on his atv. He told me that he heard the birds gobbling and coming to me and pretty much watched the entire story unfold. He was as excited as I was! In fact, he will be hunting with me next year for his first time hunting turkeys ever.

My 3rd bird of the season - 19 lb. 3/4" & 7/8" spurs, 10 1/8" beard
matchbook454
hunter

Re: Tagged my WI Tom!!!

Postby fireman17 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Sweet lookin bird congrats! :beer:
Don't worry I brought extra shells!!
fireman17
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:48 pm

Good story and nice bird, the rest of us are sitting at home waiting for spring 2010,,,,,,jelous....
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:34 pm

Congratulations...Thats a great bird and a great story...Best of luck next year with you Unc...Illl be looking for the story and pics. :thumbsup:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:24 am

You sure you shot that Tom???? He`s got a pretty clean head, maybe the blast of the shotgun just plain scared him to death :wink: :wink:

Great story there sir and congratulations on a fine Tom

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby matchbook454 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:11 pm

Stump - I shot him at 47 yards (checked with my rangefinder). I've patterned my gun at 50 yards and would not hesitate to shoot that far "obviously"! Being late season and having had a coyote mess me up earlier in the season I took the shot whan I could. I had 3 holes in the head, 8 in the neck, and 2 in the breast. I think my shot was a little low but still good enough. I should have done a full mount with him but already have a bigger tom at the taxidermist and it was shot on a hunt that was my wedding gift from my wife.
matchbook454
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:26 pm

Matchbook, was that 1 7/8ths inch spurs or 7/8ths??
NMBlackgold
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:09 pm

matchbook454 wrote:Stump - I shot him at 47 yards (checked with my rangefinder). I've patterned my gun at 50 yards and would not hesitate to shoot that far "obviously"! Being late season and having had a coyote mess me up earlier in the season I took the shot whan I could. I had 3 holes in the head, 8 in the neck, and 2 in the breast. I think my shot was a little low but still good enough. I should have done a full mount with him but already have a bigger tom at the taxidermist and it was shot on a hunt that was my wedding gift from my wife.

I`m just funning with you brother. I`ve shot birds before and not a speck of blood on the head.
Hey, he went down and you sir took a nice bird. That is ALL that matters. Congratulations

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby matchbook454 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:46 am

Those spurs were 7/8", not 1 7/8" although I wish they were! Those would be some monster spurs!
matchbook454
hunter

Postby NMBlackgold » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:34 pm

matchbook454 wrote:Those spurs were 7/8", not 1 7/8" although I wish they were! Those would be some monster spurs!

It looked like 1 7/8th on my fuzzy monitor........thanks!
NMBlackgold
hunter

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum