Shot trap for the first time the other night

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Shot trap for the first time the other night

Postby Yeller Dawg » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Didn't bust 25, but had a blast! I've shot sporting clays before, but never trap. I can see regular visits to the trap range in my future. :thumbsup: Shot my ol' 11-87 SP with an IC choke, 1 1/8th oz. of #8s. Did OK for what I consider my worst shot (rising, going away birds). Just wanted to share, but any thoughts or advice are welcome.
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Re: Shot trap for the first time the other night

Postby 12ganooby » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm

Here's a good read. I take a look now and then to learn more.
http://www.remington.com/pdfs/trap_fund ... s_2004.pdf
fall on your knees in the muck guy
12ganooby
hunter

Postby atwoodflash » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:42 am

You may want to try a Modified choke. There are different opinions about this, but a lot of people use the Mod at the 16 yard line some prefer tighter. My opinion is the IC will handicapp you a bit.
atwoodflash
hunter

Postby ajmorell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:58 pm

atwoodflash wrote:You may want to try a Modified choke. There are different opinions about this, but a lot of people use the Mod at the 16 yard line some prefer tighter. My opinion is the IC will handicapp you a bit.

x2. That little bit of constriction is the difference between a few birds for me.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I personally use a IM or full choke on trap. I do not shoot trap more than 6 or 8 times a year so I am not breaking 25 every time (average is 22-23) but it is a lot of fun. The only reason I do not shoot trap more is most of my time is spent on the sporting clays range. I would shoot skeet but I just SUCK at it :yes: . I suppose If I bought a skeet or IC choke for the 1187 and actually tried it more than a couple times a year I could figure it out.

Glad to hear you liked trap, try some trap doubles sometime, that is a blast too.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Yeller Dawg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:29 pm

Thanks fellas. This is the first time I've shot since last duck season, so was afraid to shoot anything tighter than IC. :biggrin: I wasn't "crush'in um" if you know what I mean.

This club is close, friendly and convenient so I'm hoping to make this a weekly thing. I will probably try a mod the next time or two I go out. I'd like to try skeet, but don't have a local place. Our local sporting clays range is a bring your group of 4 or more with you kind of club and it hard to get folks together.
Yeller Dawg
hunter

Postby GroundSwatter » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:48 am

Thats awesome. Its always great finding a good place to brush up on some shooting skills.

I got some friends out to the trap range yesterday. A couple were first time shooters, never shot a gun period. My wife and I took a young married couple and met up with another friend. My wife and the other wife shot just over 50%, which isn't bad for my wife and is excellent for a young lady that has never touched a shotgun. The other husband didn't start well, but after a few pointers, he got the hang of it towards the end. Nothing like taking people that haven't shot before and giving them a positive introduction to the sport. It was amazing how the other guys at the range immediately stepped in to help coach them when I was shooting. I don't know if they'll ever be bird hunters, but I think they are at least now fans of sport shooting.

I personally shot 19/25, which isn't bad since I haven't touched my shotgun since January and its been over a year since I visited the trap range.

When shooting from the 16 yd line I use an IC choke, but my IC choke patterns pretty tight out of my SBEII. I also have a tendency to shoot the birds right out of the trap house before they begin to fall as I don't like them to get that far out. I also normally shoot 1 1/8oz 7 1/2 or 8 shot.

I prefer shooting skeet, as I don't shoot many flushing birds in a season, but I find trap is easier for beginners.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Return to Target Shooting