New Waders from Cabelas

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

New Waders from Cabelas

Postby DukCmmndr07 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:21 am

Hey, I know that this is the women's thread and all, but I was curious if anyone had tried these? They're 3mm neoprene and 600gr boots. I just don't understand why Cabela's wouldn't make a warmer wader. They've already got a 3mm/800gr women's wader. My girlfriend wants to go hunting with me this year, and we're having a mighty hard time finding a nice pair. We're gonna go with the Ultimate Hunting Waders from Cabelas, I think. I'm just worried about her getting cold. We're pretty much Coastal Maine, so we hunt right through the end of January and it's not very pleasant for anyone. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks.
GWT:5 BWT: 3
Mallards: 7 Geese: 1 Woody:1
Goldeneyes: 3 Bands: 1
DukCmmndr07
hunter

Re: New Waders from Cabelas

Postby nash700 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:07 am

You are going to have to get her mens waders. It isnt a beauty contest out there in the middle of january in -10 I would get her the 5mm neoprene with at least 1200 grams thinsulate if you ever want to keep here from complaning. She is just going to have to try a bunch variety of sizes on to find a good fit, But she shouldnt have too many problems. Hopefully this helps.
nash700
hunter

Postby DukCmmndr07 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:33 am

I tell her the same thing haha, but some of my buddies have the Ultimate's from Cabela's and they say that they're pretty warm, so I dunno. We're making a road trip to Cabelas in a week or two, so I'll have her try what they have on.
DukCmmndr07
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:39 am

Try a pair of Men's "stout" size shoe type waders. I had the same problem, my thinner bootie chest
waders I love for early season, but man when it's cold I peel on the thick ones and stay warm.
It was actually recommended to me by a sales gal in the boot dept at Cabelas and I'm glad she was
there to help. If you are thin they may be a little bulky, but after you stuff your coat into them
who cares.
If it flies, it could die!
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby DukCmmndr07 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:35 pm

Yeah, we're making a trip down, I'm going to make her try on some men's ones because there's numerous options, but who knows? She's only like 5'5", so I dunno how they'll fit her inseam-wise. Oh well, she'll have something in the next couple of weeks.
DukCmmndr07
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:01 am

I'm 5'5' too, and the men's stouts fit great, have her try them on, the staff will help if you ask.
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:56 am

Sorry for jumping into this conversation so late - been slammed with work.

But I was one of the ones who helped Cabela's develop these waders, and the reason we targeted 3mm is that Cabela's already had a women's wader in 5mm (here's the story that got the process rolling: http://norcalcazadora.blogspot.com/2008/10/crossing-donner-summit-to-go-to-cabelas.html). My friend and I liked the basic concept, but 5mm is way too much for where we hunt in California's Central Valley. They also had a 3mm in womens, but it had that horrible buckle strap where the buckle falls where your gun mounts. Bad news. So, long story short, Cabela's worked with us to do the velcro strap-style in 3mm.

What I don't know is if they're still selling the old 5mms. And I can't say much about the future except that my friend Sarah and I are still working with Cabela's on more projects.

In terms of your girlfriend, I have one idea for this winter: Cabela's also makes a union suit that's pretty warm. I got it because it has a "girl fly" where you can unzip it at the crotch when you need to go to the bathroom, so you don't have to pull down everything and expose your bare butt. I rarely use it thought because it's far too warm for where I hunt. Probably the only flaw for Maine hunting is that it's sleeveless, so you've got to make sure her arms are well insulated by whatever jacket she's wearing.

Here's a link to that: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0026944912627a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Product_liberal&QueryText=polartec+qrs&sort=all&Go.y=11&_D%3AhasJS=+&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&Go.x=23&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

And in case anyone thinks I'm spamming, I should say I'm not on Cabela's payroll (though I do have lots of waders now - some of them duds - because of the testing we've done, and I got a gift certificate for writing that testimonial in the catalog). I just promote what they're doing because I'm excited that they work with us - I don't think ANYONE else is making women's duck waders, and precious few even make jackets.
Holly Heyser
Editor, California Waterfowl Magazine
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby DukCmmndr07 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:47 am

Well if youre making more projects for them, try and think of women who are more northern parts of the US. We hunt in below zeros sometimes, so 3mm doesn't cut it up here. Just keep it in mind, go for a supermag but womens sizing. But yeah, we'll keep an eye out for insulation.
DukCmmndr07
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:00 pm

Trust me, you are on our minds! This is the hard part about women's waterfowl gear. Guys outnumber us 19-to-1 in duck hunting -so we're not as big of a market as you are. I'd also like to see different options within each size, like slim, regular and stout, like some men's waders offer. Slim girls (uh, doesn't include me) hate most of the waders they get to choose from. But I don't know if we'll ever have the numbers to justify that. Maybe some day, if guys like you keep inviting out your girlfriends! That's how I got into it.

And: Below zero. Dang. Makes me glad to live in Cali, where my coldest duck hunt was in the low 20s (but it was really, really windy, so that should count for somethin'!). Most of the time we have to worry about sweat. :bow:
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby DukCmmndr07 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:58 pm

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. I think more girls would get into it if there were more products offered to them. Oh well, we can still get the 5mm women's from cabelas. Hopefully that'll do her just fine, If they carried a men's 7 stout in anything, that'd help out a lot too.

By the way, I've never heard of sweat during a hunting season haha. More just little droplets of ice on my forehead :lol3:
DukCmmndr07
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Yeah, it's a huge issue for us, working up a sweat on the way out to the blind, then chilling down.

Interesting thing is people are also telling me, "Get 'em to do breathables!"

I think the comfort issue is one of the reasons it's so hard to get women out on duck hunts. There aren't a lot of women who agree with me that a perfect day involves sitting in the water up to my hips with a 30mph wind driving rain into the back of my head, waiting for some soggy ducks to fly by. I can't think of many places I'd rather be, though.
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby DukCmmndr07 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:16 am

Yeah, I mean if someone would offer a breathable, a middle insualted, and a heavily insualted, I think that they would do alright, of course they wouldn't sell like men's waders, but they'd get 98% of all women duck hunters.
DukCmmndr07
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:55 am

I'm glad you saw this NorCal! I was hoping you'd weigh in. It's awesome to hear that Cabela's is willing to listen and designing gear that will truly work for women. :thumbsup:

Personally, I using a pair of men's rubber waders that are way to big for me. They do work alright if I belt them. But that's it, just alright. And I definately wouldn't want to wear them anywhere I had to hike in a ways. I carry them in and then put them on when I absolutely have too. Thankfully, I haven't needed waders in more than a couple of spots and I only paid $25 for these. They were to get me by until I could afford a better pair. I'm going to be looking at the Cazadora waders very closely. I'm still trying to decide what sort of insulation I want in my waders. I hunt in Michigan, so we have everything from HOT early goose season days in September, to some really cold days later in the season. I'm thinking the Cazadora's would be good for an all purpose wader.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:05 am

I have a similar season - though I'm sure it never gets as cold as yours - and the 3mm definitely works for me (always has, before the Cabela's waders too). In the early season, I definitely overheat a bit, but I just walk more slowly going to and from the blind. Late season I just layer more. My biggest problem is always my hands anyway (and good luck finding women's duck GLOVES), so I've just taken to sticking chemical handwarmers in the handwarmer pocket.
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:34 am

Oh yeah, I can NEVER find gloves that fit. I have really short fingers, so it's pretty much hopeless. Youth sizes sometimes work, but are often too short in the palm. The best solution for me is a muff and handwarmers, though it works a lot better for deer hunting than duck hunting.

And hey, if you hear that Cabela's needs another field tester I'd be more than willing. lol. :wink: Though I won't be in the field this year. The expecting twins in November pretty much shut out any waterfowling this season.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:46 am

Well, if you're expecting twins, men's waders will be PERFECT for you! :biggrin:

Congrats on that. And I hope you get out at least once. It'd be good for your soul!
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby Outdoor Gal » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:59 am

I told my husband I needed men's stouts. He just shook his head. :huh: :lol3:

I decided leave the shotgun in the cabinet this season, but I plan on pulling out the .22 and trying some squirrel hunting this fall. I started a thread about it - http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=101072 It'll be the first time I've targeted squirrels since I first started hunting when I was 12. The season opens in a couple weeks, so I won't be too massive yet. I know I need to get out in the woods SOME way or another or I may go crazy this season. My girlfriends of course, think I'm insane. lol. They don't know what they're missing.

Btw, love your blog. I post there as Shannon once in a while.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:13 am

Well, that's good, I'm glad you're getting out. Good to get that baby acclimated to hunting!

And squirrel is YUMMY!
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby duckgirl1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:01 am

I was wondering if anyone has the 5mm womens waders from cabelas. I was looking at getting them and wanted to know how they have worked out for others. I am the type of person who gets cold very easy. If anyone could give my their imput that would be wonderful. Thanks so much
duckgirl1
hunter

Postby NorCal Cazadora » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:18 am

A woman I know who hunts the Klamath Basin has had the 5mms for a couple years and she says she loves them.

-Holly
Holly Heyser
NorCal Cazadora
Forum Moderator

Postby berettagirl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Hi,

I wear a pair of Cabelas Ultimate Chest Waders. They are the warmest I've worn. I am in MN and hunt right up until the season close, and usually end up breaking ice to drop decoys in the late season. I tried on the regular sizes in a 7, but the legs were so baggy I decided to go with the "stout" in an 8. Not as baggy, but the boot is a bit loose (I wear a womens 8). Usually wear a good thick over the knee wader sock and watch where I walk. Plenty of room in the wader to accomodate my jacket, and the chest pocket is perfect and actually works as a hand warmer because it usually stays dry. The only problem I've had with these waders is that if there is a lot of walking to be done, they are so warm, I have to be careful not to overheat...layers, layers, layers! They are very rugged and I don't have to worry about snagging them when I walk about. They also have velcro straps that overlap, so the bonus is a nice recoil pad. Hardly notice I am shooting a hunting load. I highly recommend them if you have to hunt in the cold!
berettagirl
hunter

Postby duckgirl123 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:55 am

I too just bought a pair of the the Ultimate Cabelas waders, I haven't tried them out yet, but I think I'm going to like the 5mm and 1000 g Thinsulate in the boots. Hunting in MI and waiting for birds with my feet and bum on cold Aluminum will get me everytime. I will even try them for the late goose hunting in January. I'll let you know. I did go with a 2x larger size boot, more toe wiggle room and I can wear my "fleece" socks in the boots and still get in a warming pad if I have to. I have a pair of stocking foot waders but they seem to take forever to put on and lace up, warm though.
duckgirl123
hunter

Postby fwlgrl24 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:36 pm

I wear Cabela's mens waders... they're very warm, I dont hunt in weather quite as cold as you but I get hot in these. I'm 5'6 and the stout waders fit great with layers underneath.
You have been banned for the following reason:
nasty duck hunter

Date the ban will be lifted: Never
fwlgrl24
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:37 am

In my ever growing need to "gear up" I cruise Craigslist often for hunting gear. Ending up by coming across a posting for Cabela's Cazadora waders. Not my size! But, they should work for my friend that I'm getting into duck hunting. Once she tries them out I'll post some feedback.

Super jealous for her...so on my list to get a pair for myself in the upcoming seasons!

-Quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Postby Quackity Gal » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 am

Update on the waders I got for my friend:

she stands about 5'9-5'10 and roughly 200lbs. Normally wears a size 9 but the waders are a size 10. She reports that with a thick sock the waders fit her perfectly and couldn't be happier.

So there's a simple review for the women's waders from Cabelas!

-quackity
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham
Quackity Gal
hunter

Return to Outdoors Women Forum