Strings on heads

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Strings on heads

Postby gotduck68415 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:41 pm

While we were hunting this morning, we had a talk about having strings over the heads of decoys. We use black tanglefree cord and I dont think that would flare ducks. What do you think? :salude: :salude: :salude:
Dont shoot where they have been, shoot where they are going.
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:57 pm

do you mean the line was rapped over the head of the decoy??? If so, no I don't think so. If the ducks are close enough to see it, they are close enough to shoot.
texan68
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:20 pm

I do that on our dekes that have really long line on them and we end up using them in shallow water. Pull out what you need and then wrap it around the head once or twice to keep the rest of the line from coming unwound. Works good. And like texan said, if they're close enough to see it, they're close enough to shoot.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby chrispbrown27 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:18 am

When I started duck hunting I was told never elt em touch and never leave the decoy line above water level. Of course I was new to the sport and I took it very serious. Still to this day I check the decoys a hundred times to make sure these two things haven't happened. Now, do I think it matters? No. But I just can't get past the old habit.
chrispbrown27
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:40 am

better safe than sorry!!! I would NEVER have line visable....just old habit I guess (and I tend to be anal about that kind of thing)........and I ALWAYS place decoys, never throw them (no wet shine or ice).
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowler82 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:55 am

I'm inclined to side with DUKHTR on this one-
I've always kept my lines beneath water level and if there was any surplus due to shallow water I'd just wrap it around the keel. A lot of decoys even have little hooks or slots where you can slide the line in to keep the excess under control. Do I think that decoy line would make a difference to birds? In 99% of the cases, probably not, but I do think that ducks are getting smarter and smarter every year. It takes so little effort to eliminate the 1% possibility that it'll effect the birds that I am willing to make sure everything is as good as it can be.

One easy trick is to create a loop in your decoy line by folding it over itself and then placing the keel into the loop and pulling on the weighted end of the line to draw it tight around the keel. It's basically like tying half of a knot in your line around your keel to keep it from spooling off of the keel.
waterfowler82
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:49 am

I personally make sure none of my decoys have line over the body. I don't think it really makes all that much difference in the ducks flaring because of the line itself, but the decoys ride different in wind or current when the line is over them.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:30 pm

Last edited by SwampHunter on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby gotduck68415 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:18 pm

I dont think it has ever mattered for us. We have 2 doz decoys out at a time. I dont think it matters but just wanted to see what you guys had to say. Thanks for the input. :salude: :salude: :salude:
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Sorensen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:13 pm

I use the slideable adjusters and keep all of the line under the water, I am not going to take any chances of spooking the birds.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby gotduck68415 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:22 pm

We use the same thing Sorensen. What Im talking about is we just throw them. We rarley go out and set them. We just throw and how ever they land they land. We got put some right side up but that is about it. :salude: :salude: :salude:
gotduck68415
Forum & State Moderator

Postby chrispbrown27 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:32 am

It took me years to perfect my tossin technique! Now I can toss em and 98% hit dead on. Of course when I bring a new guy along I kinda enjoy watchin him try to do it for the first time. Makes me feel like I know what I'm doin! LOL
chrispbrown27
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum