Niobrara Hunting

A place to share stories, tips and reports on Nebraska duck hunting.

Moderators: gotduck68415, k9horseluvr, Duck Runner

Niobrara Hunting

Postby iowaducks55 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:29 pm

How has the opener been for ducks in the past few season's is it worth driving 5 hours or should i just stick around home and wait for the big push later in the year any info from locals would be much appreciated! :thumbsup:
iowaducks55
hunter

Re: Niobrara Hunting

Postby brentbullets » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 pm

Seasons haven't been set yet. I would bet on Oct. 17th and then the 24th split openers. Water is real high and expected to stay that way for awhile giving the ducks plenty of places to hide.
Walleyes and Waterfowl, what else is there?
brentbullets
hunter

Postby iowaducks55 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 am

I thought the water was pretty high last year actually dumped it luckily it was unseasonably warm when it happened still plenty chilly tho! Have they set the dates yet its getting close to early season city limit goose season u can shoot 5 canada's where I live at! Why is the water so high at niobrara makes the hunting a little harder!
iowaducks55
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:36 am

More potholes in the middle of the catails and the water is deeper so its harder to find places to be able to walk around and set dekes. With the higher water there will be shallow areas that aren't normally there and the ducks have and will just pour into them. The dates will be set on Friday August 28th and sholud be available online that afternoon.
brentbullets
hunter

Postby iowaducks55 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:57 pm

Hey is the water still high and is niobrara in the high or low plains? What r the season dates I think I saw oct 11 ne ducks in the area yet any info would b awesome
iowaducks55
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Yes the river is still high and will be into Dec. I was up there 2 weeks ago and a couple of places that we used to have to drag boat into I could just motor right into and drive around with a 60 hp tiller with no problems. water level is up about 3 feet more than normal early season levels. They aren't expecting to drop the river until the middle of Dec. this year instead of the middle of Nov. like years past. The season opens for 2 days the 17th and then opens the 24th again. Lots of debris and changes to the channels from last year.
brentbullets
hunter

Postby iowaducks55 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:40 pm

I will be able to get around with the 29 hp mud buddy hyperdrive i hope. why are they keeping the river high until december? I'm gonna go for the opener it will be a zoo but oh well it's worth it if you can get a decent spot. how are the #'s in the area doing? the main channel has alot of debris? from the river being up so high or what? where is the shallowest places in that area. What direction do u usually GO when u leave the boat ramp do u use the ramp in niobrara?
iowaducks55
hunter

Postby brentbullets » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:27 am

You have to remember that the OPENER up there isn't like in IOWA. The season will have allready been open for 1 or 2 weeks in South Dakota and the birds will have been hunted for that long. I hunted in Iowa for over 25 years as thats where I am from. The reserviors all the way back to Montana are holding lots of water, the lake above Pierre is 25 to 30 feet above where it was 2 years ago and they are releasing water to lower reservoirs to hold the spring runoffs. The river in Sioux City has been running bank full all year. The current in the Niobrara are is alot stronger than years past and timber that is lodged on sand bars that used to stick out are now covered with water and new sand bars have formed. I got hung up on sand bars that were never there before according to the trails on my GPS. I usually am down stream from Niobrara. Its ALOT different than years past. Good luck and be VERY CAREFUL this year!
brentbullets
hunter

Postby iowaducks55 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:51 am

Brentbullets where do u think the shallowest part of niobrara will be this year? we usually put in at the santee boat ramp and head east... just dont wanna have to rig everything up for deep water so trying to find shallow before we get out there for the 24th 25th 26th? Any help would be appreciated greatly my little brothers are going for the first time with me and my dad so we want them to be able to walk around and stuff but there only about 5-8 give or take:> they might be taking a chilly dip if the waters is as deep as you say!

Thanks

GO HAWKS
iowaducks55
hunter

Return to Nebraska Duck Hunting