Need Outfitter near St. Johns Newfoundland

Waterfowl hunting across Canada; from the sounds of New Foundland to the lakes of Ontario to the vast fields and potholes of the plains to the high artic and the sea duck hunting of the Pacific. Includes Quebec duck hunting, Ontario duck hunting, Manitoba duck hunting, Saskatchewan duck hunting, Alberta duck hunting & all other provinces indluding goose hunting info as well.

Moderator: REM1100

Need Outfitter near St. Johns Newfoundland

Postby o2bwest » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:47 pm

I have a cousin moving to St. Johns. I am trying to find an outfitter near there who could take us on a duck hunt. Sea ducks, blacks, teal, whatever. I don't even know what flys up there. I'm having trouble finding anybody on google. any help woulg go a long way.
o2bwest
Newb

Re: Need Outfitter near St. Johns Newfoundland

Postby forester11 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:07 am

Most Newfies I know who duck hunt don't speak too favourably of duck hunting in Newfoundland in comparison with the mainland. There probably aren't many (if any) outfitters that specialize in duck hunting but if you contact a moose hunting outfitter he may do ducks on the side or know someone who does.

If I was going to Nfld. to hunt I'd be going for moose, they have the highest concentration of moose on the planet. They also have world class black bear and caribou hunting and atlantic salmon fishing. If you are set on a duck/goose hunt, see if your cousin will meet you in PEI that's goose central in the fall.
forester11
hunter

Postby o2bwest » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:39 pm

I would really like to get on some sea ducks or blacks while I'm up there. Where can I go that is a quick flight or boat ride from Nfld?
o2bwest
Newb

Postby forester11 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:21 am

Well, there isn't really such a thing as a short boat ride to Nfld., one ferry is 8 hrs, the other one (closest to St. John's) is 18-20 hrs. As far as flights go, Halifax and Charlottetown are both about 2 hrs from St. John's, PEI has some decent black duck hunting but not a whole lot in the way of sea ducks. The eastern shore of Nova Scotia (which is actually the southern shore, east of Halifax), is the last major stopping point on the Atlantic Flyway before a long ocean flight to the NE US so in the late season there are tons of birds around, mostly blacks and honkers but the sea duck hunting is also pretty good, primarily eiders and oldsquaw. Birds will hang around there until things freeze up, which depending on the year could be early December to late January.

I'm sure if you google Nova Scotia duck hunting outfitters you'll come up with something, if this is too much travelling for you I know guys in Nfld. have talked about Fogo Island being good for sea ducks, as well as the Bay D'Espair and around the Bonnavista Pennisula, but these are all 4hrs+ drives from St. John's and as I said good for Nfld., not necessarily good, in comparison to the mainland.

Nfld. is a spectacular place with probably the friendliest people on the planet, but it is huge, remote and not very populated. Be prepared to kiss a cod when you get there and watch out for the Screech.
forester11
hunter

Postby msmall » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:13 am

Are you flying or driving up? If youre driving then stop in Maine or Mass and do some sea duck hunting.
msmall
hunter

Postby featheredfriend » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:16 pm

Depends on what you are looking for and when you will be here. In terms of duck hunting, the best we have is seaducks, you'll see plenty most days but getting the weather to cooperate can be a challenge. Seaducks here are primarily eiders, slightly fewer oldsquaw while scoters do not constitute much of the daily bag. You can try this fellow on Fogo Island on the NE coast http://www.openboatoutfitters.com/. From St Johns that would take a 3.5-4 hr drive and a ferry crossing. Season runs from 4th saturday of Nov to last day of Feb for sea ducks and limit is 6 per day. Again the weather is the real deciding factor, not presence of birds.

As for other duck and goose hunting, it can be hit or miss, mostly miss. As others have said waterfowl hunting is not as productive here as on the mainland, lots of habitat and water but curiously not covered in ducks. Season starts in Sept and runs to mid Dec for inland ducks and geese. Early season expect black ducks, canada geese and GW teal, as it progresses divers become more common, mostly mergansers and goldeneye. Given the sporadic hunting most outfitters do not offer dedicated waterfowl hunts, tho some offer it as a side dish. Once your cousin gets situated here it shouldn't be much of a problem to find a local willing to take you out. Also, once he becomes a resident he'll be able to participate in the Turr hunt, 20 birds a day for that, tho non residents are not permitted.

Also, as others have said you may want to check into other Atlantic Provinces for waterfowl opportunities, sea ducks you can easily find in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick while PEI will give good goose and puddler action. In NS check Goldeneye guide service, Brian Mason at seaduckmason@eastlink.ca and for PEI you can try malpeque canada goose outfitters at http://peihunt.webs.com/.
featheredfriend
Newb

Return to Canada Duck Hunting